FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #496 of 1,113
just ordered.
I've read all the posts but I don't seem to have noticed this consideration: why is it not possible to adjust the two volumes separately, one for the headphones and the other for the pre-amp section which drives the output for the speakers amplified?
In a typical scenario, headphones plus loudspeakers, it is essential to be able to adjust the two volumes separately.
I ask Fiio if perhaps such a feature could be implemented in a forthcoming update.
Thank you.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #497 of 1,113
just ordered.
I've read all the posts but I don't seem to have noticed this consideration: why is it not possible to adjust the two volumes separately, one for the headphones and the other for the pre-amp section which drives the output for the speakers amplified?
In a typical scenario, headphones plus loudspeakers, it is essential to be able to adjust the two volumes separately.
I ask Fiio if perhaps such a feature could be implemented in a forthcoming update.
Thank you.
The volumes cannot be adjusted separately simply because the adjustment is performed in DAC.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #498 of 1,113
just ordered.
Thank you.
The volumes cannot be adjusted separately simply because the adjustment is performed in DAC.
The Phone out and pre out options have their own separate volume adjustment.
So the only thing you have to do is to switch the function from the knob.
Your last volume setting is saved and is different for the headphone out and the pre out.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #499 of 1,113
Your last volume setting is saved and is different for the headphone out and the pre out.
To store different settings for volume is easy... That's not mandatory to have different volume devices / points... In fact, any supplementary adjustment point / dedicated chip will make worse any figure: distortion, noise, etc. I don't think that Fiio did such mistake and still keep the parameters as indicated in specs.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #500 of 1,113
Hallo! I really like this product, but I have one major complaint. It is that the video streaming services are not satisfactory. Prime video is low quality and Netflix is not playable. Can this be solved?
Watch out, the Fire brigade of Sound here will burn you for considering playing videos out of the fiio r7 and not use it just for sound:)
To answer your questions, i dont think it can happen unless fiio does something about DRM and widevine level requirement of those streaming services. R7 would have to be whitelisted by amazon
Also the screen is low resolutions not HD so screen mirroring will be low quality
YouTube will work in HD though if you enable desktop mode (and use mouse and/or keyboard) to manage the TV or external monitor in higher resolution

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #501 of 1,113
To store different settings for volume is easy... That's not mandatory to have different volume devices / points... In fact, any supplementary adjustment point / dedicated chip will make worse any figure: distortion, noise, etc. I don't think that Fiio did such mistake and still keep the parameters as indicated in specs.
I don't understand what are you saying 🤔
The volume is adjusted in the digital domain and the device stores different settings for the headphone and the pre out.
No impact on the sound quality.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #502 of 1,113
I don't understand what are you saying 🤔
The volume is adjusted in the digital domain and the device stores different settings for the headphone and the pre out.
No impact on the sound quality.
Exactly this I wanted to say and the last digital domain before analog is DAC (ESS). Maybe I was not so clear... Anyway, I supposed that Ninosan ask about real volume adjustment, separated for each block: phones and LO and this assumption created some confusion!

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #503 of 1,113
ok, that's something. If I have understood correctly, I can pre-adjust the two volumes upstream but the fact remains that if I raise the volume, both the volumes of the phone section and the pre-out are raised.
Did I get it right?
if so, it is still a limitation. Imagine you have headphones on and you want to turn up the volume but not the preamp, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #504 of 1,113
I aimed for the RME Adi2 DAC, which is certainly another device, but has this possibility.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #505 of 1,113
ok, that's something. If I have understood correctly, I can pre-adjust the two volumes upstream but the fact remains that if I raise the volume, both the volumes of the phone section and the pre-out are raised.
Did I get it right?
if so, it is still a limitation. Imagine you have headphones on and you want to turn up the volume but not the preamp, or vice versa.
OK guys , it is pretty simple.

The front knob has four selections:

Line out, phone out, pre out and phone out & pre out.

Line output sets the volume to maximum, no adjustment.

Every other position has its own independent volume and gain adjustments that are stored in the memory.

If you choose the option pre & phone out then the volume control will affect both the headphones and the analogue outputs at the back simultaneously.

So if you like to run headphones and speakers with different volume settings then you can choose the phone out option for listening to your headphones and then the pre out for listening to your speakers.
Each one with it's own independent volume setting.

Did I explained it comprehensively?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #506 of 1,113
I think so, thank you.
I'll try it when it arrives.

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #507 of 1,113
I think so, thank you.
I'll try it when it arrives.
Dear friend,

You could also check this form for help:
The R7 supports 4 output levels. Different level position means different output modes. Here are details

(√ means the current level has output while × means no output).

7401979.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #508 of 1,113
New owner of THE Fiio R7. Wow, this device has exceeded all expectations. Even making me experience new intense sounds from my iem playback (not new details, but an intensity to things. I usual intensity that I may associate to the ESS dac, but it is more here) . Makes me want to rotate my desktop gear around and sell stuff.

Still in the honeymoon phase... But I love this thing already. Highly recommend this cute lil device. Nobody mentioned how cute this thing is in real life. Haha

Using it with a usb Portable hdd. And the Pl50 Fiio linear power supply.

P_20230423_131811.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #509 of 1,113
Dear friend,

You could also check this form for help:
The R7 supports 4 output levels. Different level position means different output modes. Here are details

(√ means the current level has output while × means no output).

7401979.png

Best regards
Fiio thanks for the form which is very clear and, in truth, I understood this.
What I was asking (perhaps I expressed myself badly) is something else.
Let's imagine a scenario where I use PO + PRE-OUT. If I vary the volume, it varies for both.
I also understood that for each output a different volume can be memorized but the fact remains that I cannot change the volume separately while listening.
That was my question and I believe the R7 doesn't do that.
Surely it is already a useful thing to have different volumes in "memory" but sometimes I need to change the volume of only PO or only PRE-OUT while listening to music.
Is it possible that this feature could be implemented with a software update?
Thank you.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #510 of 1,113
Fiio thanks for the form which is very clear and, in truth, I understood this.
What I was asking (perhaps I expressed myself badly) is something else.
Let's imagine a scenario where I use PO + PRE-OUT. If I vary the volume, it varies for both.
I also understood that for each output a different volume can be memorized but the fact remains that I cannot change the volume separately while listening.
That was my question and I believe the R7 doesn't do that.
Surely it is already a useful thing to have different volumes in "memory" but sometimes I need to change the volume of only PO or only PRE-OUT while listening to music.
Is it possible that this feature could be implemented with a software update?
Thank you.
Unfortunately this is not possible for this device because it means to add new hardware: volume chip separated for phones amplifier and for LO preamp. Maybe for future devices, but 99% of the time, those chips means distortions added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back