FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #1,066 of 1,081
I wanted to know if there are cases where the Fiio R7 shows no lag when connected to a computer, watching movies and playing games?
I really like this device and the price is still acceptable, the R9 is too expensive, and no black color is a minus for me.
If the USB-Input gives you too much lag, you can use one of the SPDIF-Inputs (Coax or TOSLINK) which are not processed by the onboard chip and use one of the many cheapish USB-to-SPDIF-converters like a Douk Audio U2(pro) or a SMSL PO100(pro) in the 40-60 USD range to convert your computers USB-audio to SPDIF. Of course those converters have a certain lag internally as well but since they are based on XMOS-chips, it is actually minimal. I use the R7 this way (I used both of those digital-to-digital converters) for videos sometimes and I do not notice any lag but YMMV and games might be more demanding.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #1,067 of 1,081
I was supposed to take after Christmas to listen to the R7, I was hoping that maybe with me this delay will not occur, it comes out that I have no chance that it will work well with a computer over USB.
I don't have those XMOS add-on converters.
To invest extra money in this converter to see if it will be what I hear appropriate, I myself do not know if I want to waste time on it.
Probably after using in R7 -converter XMOS, it will be worse than what R9 gives straight out of the box.
I am inconsolable.
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have a week to think what to do next with this fanny.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Apr 13, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #1,070 of 1,081
I have a some quick questions about the global PEQ on the Fiio R7.

• Does the PEQ work when using the R7 as a DAC with balanced line outs going to an amp?
  • Does the PEQ work when using the R7 with an external DAC?
  • How many bands does the PEQ allow?
  • Can we set different PEQ profiles for different inputs?
  • Is there a way to set the level of left or right outputs to different levels? Like right to 100% and left at 96%?

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #1,071 of 1,081
I have a some quick questions about the global PEQ on the Fiio R7.

• Does the PEQ work when using the R7 as a DAC with balanced line outs going to an amp?
  • Does the PEQ work when using the R7 with an external DAC?
  • How many bands does the PEQ allow?
  • Can we set different PEQ profiles for different inputs?
  • Is there a way to set the level of left or right outputs to different levels? Like right to 100% and left at 96%?
Yes, Yes, 10 bands, not that I can see and no balance control.
Edit: Ohh, and you can make presets, so while you cannot assign certain EQ's to a specific input, it is easy to make presets for rack one and switch between them.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #1,073 of 1,081
Thanks. Is the q-factor and type of filter customizable as well, or is it just peak filters?
It is PEQ, so you can set Q, frequency and gain 🙂

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #1,075 of 1,081
The PEQ app has to downsample hi-res to redbook audio when in Android mode. When in FiiO player mode, that app can output a PEQ hi-res signal.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,076 of 1,081
The PEQ app has to downsample hi-res to redbook audio when in Android mode. When in FiiO player mode, that app can output a PEQ hi-res signal.
Are you sure about that? My (external) DAC is telling me it's is receiving high res in Android mode with the EQ turned on?

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #1,077 of 1,081
Are you sure about that? My (external) DAC is telling me it's is receiving high res in Android mode with the EQ turned on?
You might be right. I thought I saw some downsampling before but it might've just been CD-quality audio. Now, I'm playing back at hi-res file over TIDAL in Android mode with the PEQ enabled and the DAC is showing a hi-res signal. Maybe it tops out at 96kHz or I'm bad at counting haha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #1,078 of 1,081
You might be right. I thought I saw some downsampling before but it might've just been CD-quality audio. Now, I'm playing back at hi-res file over TIDAL in Android mode with the PEQ enabled and the DAC is showing a hi-res signal. Maybe it tops out at 96kHz or I'm bad at counting haha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The highest I've noticed is 88.1khz, so there might be a cap at 96khz?
I don't do much in high res, so I don't mind :)

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,080 of 1,081
Hi,
Anyone using the r7 with Ethernet and a fixed IP address ?
Me, I've tried but IP setting does not survive a reboot...
Am I doing something wrong?

I've not tried, but if assigning an IP address on the R7 itself doesn't work, you can always use DHCP reservation to assign it on your router instead. This way, the router will always assign the R7 to a specific IP address based on it's MAC address, which doesn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back