FiiO R7 All-In-One Desktop Android HiFi Music Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #1,081 of 1,093
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I changed the settings on the router and I got Ethernet connection "again"

But obviously Fiio Cast does not work over Ethernet.
It even works with Fiio Cast over Ethernet. You just have to configure the network as it should...

Device works as it should and, super important, as I want it to !

Regards.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #1,083 of 1,093
Hi,

Here is a suggestion for an upgrade to R7 Mk2 (or R9 Mk2) :

- switch to a 1Gbps ethernet adapter ! Who uses 100M nowadays ? I installed an app to turn the R7 into a FTP server so I can send files to the USB stick connected to it. Works like a charm... BUT : 9MB/s average speed is a little slow when you want to transfer Hi-Res files :frowning2:
- add an analog input for ease of use.

If you add those 2 ones, I'd buy the new version immediatly to replace the current one I own :wink:

As it is, the R7 is already a killer device... It could turn to a berserk beast if you add those 2 things.

May 1, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #1,084 of 1,093
Hi,

Looks like there is not much hype about this device anymore.
Or maybe everything has been written about it ?
Or maybe everyone is enjoying it's music reading from the device...

Anyways, I am now the owner of a R7.
And I must say I quite love it.

There are 2/3 things that should be improved to get the perfect machine :
- faster library scanning ; it's only "decently" fast, but not really fast: 600 tracks/min I'd say. Which means 1/2 an hour for 20 000 files.
- better Fiio Cast support over Ethernet : it works, but if I get disconnected, I can't connect automatically again ;-( Even though the IP address shown is correct ;
- an ability to use the R7 as a media server : connect drive => scan library => use third party app to access files. I activated DLNA T + R in Lab Features, but does not show up ;
- the aforementioned 1GBps and Analog input.

And of course, I think we all hope for Android 12 to be released some day.

Regards.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #1,085 of 1,093
Hi,

Looks like there is not much hype about this device anymore.
Or maybe everything has been written about it ?
Or maybe everyone is enjoying it's music reading from the device...

Anyways, I am now the owner of a R7.
And I must say I quite love it.

There are 2/3 things that should be improved to get the perfect machine :
- faster library scanning ; it's only "decently" fast, but not really fast: 600 tracks/min I'd say. Which means 1/2 an hour for 20 000 files.
- better Fiio Cast support over Ethernet : it works, but if I get disconnected, I can't connect automatically again ;-( Even though the IP address shown is correct ;
- an ability to use the R7 as a media server : connect drive => scan library => use third party app to access files. I activated DLNA T + R in Lab Features, but does not show up ;
- the aforementioned 1GBps and Analog input.

And of course, I think we all hope for Android 12 to be released some day.

Regards.
Classic FiiO - release with numerous promises of updates. Firmware stuck on ver. 1.4.

May 1, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,086 of 1,093
Classic FiiO - release with numerous promises of updates. Firmware stuck on ver. 1.4.
Hi,

Well, at least they
1°) more or less comply to standards they use ;
2°) released some real upgrades : Fiio Cast is more usable now and they offered global PEQ. Which, per se is already a nice addition !

If you want to go to a manufacturer that releases 12 products a year and does not support any single one of them, you should jump to Shanling.
They do not follow standards and make everything "their way". So you have to use their totally crippled software...
Of course, they offer litterally ZERO support...
To claim they do offer support, they release a new firmware that fixes font coulour and size... even if no one complained about that.
But to fix complaints : no one answer.
They claim to have a software team, but you ask me, it's a ghost team lead by a part-time intern.

So Fiio is almost an example to follow :)

Of course, if they could tell us when they plan to release Android 12 (and if thjey will indeed do it) it would be really nice :)
And if there was a way to make the R7 a Media server seen by third party apps, that would be nice too :xf_cool:

May 1, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,087 of 1,093
Hi,

Well, at least they
1°) more or less comply to standards they use ;
2°) released some real upgrades : Fiio Cast is more usable now and they offered global PEQ. Which, per se is already a nice addition !

If you want to go to a manufacturer that releases 12 products a year and does not support any single one of them, you should jump to Shanling.
They do not follow standards and make everything "their way". So you have to use their totally crippled software...
Of course, they offer litterally ZERO support...
To claim they do offer support, they release a new firmware that fixes font coulour and size... even if no one complained about that.
But to fix complaints : no one answer.
They claim to have a software team, but you ask me, it's a ghost team lead by a part-time intern.

So Fiio is almost an example to follow :)

Of course, if they could tell us when they plan to release Android 12 (and if thjey will indeed do it) it would be really nice :)
And if there was a way to make the R7 a Media server seen by third party apps, that would be nice too :xf_cool:
Do you mean a media or music server?

FiiO Cast is improved but the keyboard is awful on my android tablet. Also, there should be an option to run Cast at boot.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #1,088 of 1,093
Do you mean a media or music server?
Hi,
Not sure what's the difference.
I explained it in my previous post.

I would like to plug a USB stick with music in the R7.
Then scan the music on that USB stick with Fiio Music.

Once done, use my smartphone as a remote control.
Launch a third party app : Neutron, Bubble UPnP, UAPP, mConnect...
And from that app, be able to navigate through the files "served" by Fiio Music.

I call that a "Media" server, but as the files are only music, maybe that is a "Music server".
I thought that turning the "Lab feature" that say" Transmitting over DLNA would allow that, but it seems it does not :frowning2:

I can do that easily with UAPP or Bubble UPnP.
But not with the native app... I'd like to have that to add as little as possible to the R7.

Regards.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #1,089 of 1,093
Hi,
Not sure what's the difference.
I explained it in my previous post.

I would like to plug a USB stick with music in the R7.
Then scan the music on that USB stick with Fiio Music.

Once done, use my smartphone as a remote control.
Launch a third party app : Neutron, Bubble UPnP, UAPP, mConnect...
And from that app, be able to navigate through the files "served" by Fiio Music.

I call that a "Media" server, but as the files are only music, maybe that is a "Music server".
I thought that turning the "Lab feature" that say" Transmitting over DLNA would allow that, but it seems it does not :frowning2:

I can do that easily with UAPP or Bubble UPnP.
But not with the native app... I'd like to have that to add as little as possible to the R7.

Regards.
I'm really rusty but I think you can run bubble as the music server on the R7 and then use bubble as the control app on your phone/tablet. Why use FiiO Music?

May 1, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #1,093 of 1,093
What is an emby server ?
It is a media server.

In other words, you install it.
You point to the location of your music or video files.
It will start indexing (first indexing takes time because it retrieves info on artist, album or movie).
Then you can connect to it with a compatible client.
And you can browse your files by artist, album, track...

Much more powerful sitting then usual basic sorting abilities offered by other players.
And of course, over network and remotely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back