FiiO question - E17 vs E9k vs E17+E9k
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dlmstd

New Head-Fier
Well I got drunk a few nights ago and apparently ordered some Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohms, which is possibly the least regrettable drunken decision anyone has ever made. But now I'm thinking I'll need an amp to drive them to my satisfaction.

I've been checking out the E17 and it's a pretty nice unit, I just have some questions about how it performs paired with the E9k.

1. What benefits are there to running the docked setup vs just the E17 alone? I know that the E17 is also a DAC, but do the amps in each unit work in conjunction for higher power output? Synergistic sound quality effects?

2. Portability is a minor factor as this will mostly be used for a desktop PC sound system, so while the portability of the E17 would be convenient as an all-in-one solution, is its only function when docked to the E9k to serve as a DAC? Also, portable audio will be a Galaxy S3 if that's worth anything.

3. Strictly from an amp perspective, does the E17 compete with the E9k?

Not totally new to the head-fi game but I don't have any experience with amps, which is probably apparent, so any advice and input is appreciated!

beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Well I got drunk a few nights ago and apparently ordered some Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohms, which is possibly the least regrettable drunken decision anyone has ever made. But now I'm thinking I'll need an amp to drive them to my satisfaction.

I've been checking out the E17 and it's a pretty nice unit, I just have some questions about how it performs paired with the E9k.

1. What benefits are there to running the docked setup vs just the E17 alone? I know that the E17 is also a DAC, but do the amps in each unit work in conjunction for higher power output? Synergistic sound quality effects?

2. Portability is a minor factor as this will mostly be used for a desktop PC sound system, so while the portability of the E17 would be convenient as an all-in-one solution, is its only function when docked to the E9k to serve as a DAC? Also, portable audio will be a Galaxy S3 if that's worth anything.

3. Strictly from an amp perspective, does the E17 compete with the E9k?

Not totally new to the head-fi game but I don't have any experience with amps, which is probably apparent, so any advice and input is appreciated!

beerchug.gif

More power as you are using amp of the E9. You get a docking station for the E17. You can still use EQ and volume control of E17 even if it is docked in E9 IF YOU WISH. (This is what the LO Bypass switch is for)

They kinda do. The E17 has two op amps. A buffer output amp (think driving amp for power) and a pre amp. The pre amp controls volume and EQ. With the LO bypass you can choose if you want he E17 to JUST get the DAC signal without it ever touching the E17's amps(any of them) or you can choose if you want to still use the E17's EQ and volume and thus you use the bypass switch.

Docked it can serve as a DAC, a multi purpose device that allows for S/PDIF input and USB but ultimately yes.

As of right now with some back and forth OTG support for devices on Android with Cyanogen and the E17's larger than allowed power draw, I wouldn't really say an E17 is good for it but you can use whatever. You will be dual amping. Galaxies headphone out isn't exactly high quality. Most use EQ apps on their Galaxies though.

3: That is all person to person based subjectively. Read some reviews.

If you are just a desktop listenered and do not need portability, there are many other units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back