FiiO Q7 Portable Desktop-Class DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #406 of 715
Bought Q7. I'm very happy with the sound, but I have a few questions:

1. What Gain is better to listen to low-impedance headphones (FH9)?

2. Do filters work for anyone?
I couldn't hear a difference when switching.

3. When Ultra High Gain is turned on, a low-frequency hum (50hz) is heard in the FH9 headphones. Touching the connector or the metal part of the Q7 case with your hand removes the hum. In other modes, everything is perfect. With other headphones there is no hum.
Dear friend,

Thanks for choosing the Q7.

1. The low or middle gain is more suitable.
2. The filters would work, and maybe it is not too obvious for you.
3. Maybe the sensitivity of FH9 is much higher so the issue happen. You could also try the FH9 in other device to see whether the issue remains.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #407 of 715
Is there a way to perform the update on mac os?
Download VirtualBox and then Windows 10. Both are free. Use Windows 10 just for the firmware update. You don't need a licence to install and run it. I've done the firmware update successfully doing this with VMWare.
Bought Q7. I'm very happy with the sound, but I have a few questions:

1. What Gain is better to listen to low-impedance headphones (FH9)?

2. Do filters work for anyone?
I couldn't hear a difference when switching.

3. When Ultra High Gain is turned on, a low-frequency hum (50hz) is heard in the FH9 headphones. Touching the connector or the metal part of the Q7 case with your hand removes the hum. In other modes, everything is perfect. With other headphones there is no hum.
1. Low gain settings on devices are most often more suited to more sensitive gear such as IEMs, and some headphones. A good rule of thumb is, if you hear significant hiss, then the gain of the amp is too high.
2. Some people hear a difference between digital filters, some don't. It can be very music dependent. Good-quality acoustic recordings where you can clearly make out the space in the recording I'd say make filter differences most noticeable.
3. Probably a ground loop hum. Try plugging the power supply into a different socket. There's probably a significant loop between it and your computer. Could be a lack of grounding too.

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #408 of 715
Download VirtualBox and then Windows 10. Both are free. Use Windows 10 just for the firmware update. You don't need a licence to install and run it. I've done the firmware update successfully doing this with VMWare.

1. Low gain settings on devices are most often more suited to more sensitive gear such as IEMs, and some headphones. A good rule of thumb is, if you hear significant hiss, then the gain of the amp is too high.
2. Some people hear a difference between digital filters, some don't. It can be very music dependent. Good-quality acoustic recordings where you can clearly make out the space in the recording I'd say make filter differences most noticeable.
3. Probably a ground loop hum. Try plugging the power supply into a different socket. There's probably a significant loop between it and your computer. Could be a lack of grounding too.
Thanks for this! Will give it a go

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #410 of 715
@FiiO

Plugging the DC power adapter automatically sets the gain to ultra.
Can be disabled?
It is very dangerous for blowing your earphones.
Yes, there is a setting item in the settings, "Ultra High Gain" set to manual, then will not automatically turn on to ultra :beerchug:

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #412 of 715
Any comparisons with Mojo2 or maybe Shanling H7?

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #413 of 715

The new XMOS firmware V1.04 for FiiO Q7 is now available!​

7032016.jpg

The following changes and improvements have been made to the V1.04 compared to the V0.93:

1. Added a new function of short pressing the volume knob to wake up the screen.

2. Added a return icon on each sub menu

3. Miscellaneous bug fixes and performance improvements

Q7 firmware download: Click here

How to upgrade the Q7: Click here
@FiiO the instruction says, usb driver v5.53? do you mean v5.30? can't see v5.53

> 2. Install the 5.53 USB DAC driver in your Windows computer first:

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #414 of 715
Dear friend,

Thanks for choosing the Q7.

1. The low or middle gain is more suitable.
2. The filters would work, and maybe it is not too obvious for you.
3. Maybe the sensitivity of FH9 is much higher so the issue happen. You could also try the FH9 in other device to see whether the issue remains.

Best regards
Thanks.
2.Filters work normally on BTR2021 , but here switching does not affect anything . On what filter who prefers to listen? Who has the same problem?
3.FH9 works perfectly on other devices. Problem only with Q7 in ULTRA mode.

There are thoughts that the problem is in the power supply. He looks doubtful. Ordered PL-50. Will it improve the sound and remove the buzz?

Dec 16, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #415 of 715
Something that comes with a fan scares me seems like an afterthought. Was this thing overheating after they designed it and they just said keep the design ship it with a fan?
I have all very efficient headphones I never owned anything hard to drive and want to use this on battery most the time. Will this thing be overheating and shutting down on me?
I really wanted something worthy to replace my 2019 Btr5 but the lack of mic with the Q7 will mean I still need to keep the Btr5 and use it from time to time.
I didn’t use the Btr5 mic that often but it was convenient to have a Bluetooth mic packed with me mostly everywhere I went when I did need one. I used btr5 95% for music / 5% for calls.
I sold my daps because I didn’t like caring thing with me. If I buy a Q7 I’ll still have to carry phone the q7 and a Bluetooth mic (probably the btr5) and I’ll probably end up using the btr5 for music after the short call out of convenience.
Hopefully something else comes along with a decent amp/DAC, all the Bluetooth features with a mic. That is not a side grade to the already owned btr5 2019 I own. Wifi/AirPlay/chromecast would be also wanted.
Maybe I should wait another Decade for apple to release a lossless Bluetooth codec.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #416 of 715
Something that comes with a fan scares me seems like an afterthought. Was this thing overheating after they designed it and they just said keep the design ship it with a fan?
I have all very efficient headphones I never owned anything hard to drive and want to use this on battery most the time. Will this thing be overheating and shutting down on me?
I really wanted something worthy to replace my 2019 Btr5 but the lack of mic with the Q7 will mean I still need to keep the Btr5 and use it from time to time.
I didn’t use the Btr5 mic that often but it was convenient to have a Bluetooth mic packed with me mostly everywhere I went when I did need one. I used btr5 95% for music / 5% for calls.
I sold my daps because I didn’t like caring thing with me. If I buy a Q7 I’ll still have to carry phone the q7 and a Bluetooth mic (probably the btr5) and I’ll probably end up using the btr5 for music after the short call out of convenience.
Hopefully something else comes along with a decent amp/DAC, all the Bluetooth features with a mic. That is not a side grade to the already owned btr5 2019 I own. Wifi/AirPlay/chromecast would be also wanted.
Maybe I should wait another Decade for apple to release a lossless Bluetooth codec.
From my experience it only gets slightly warm when using it on battery not on the fan and in its case on SH gain mode (one below the DC UH gain mode), this is with fairly difficult to drive headphones (ZMF Eikon, DC Noire and Aeon 2 Open).

I mainly use it during the day on UH DC mode on the desk fan stand all day while I work, this is on the lower fan setting and not only does it stop it getting hot, at the end of the day the unit is actually cold.

Since this is the second unit they have made with this form factor I don't think this is an accident, it seems to me that they didn't want to put an internal fan into the unit to make it transportable. When it is transportable (not plugged in via DC) they don't give you the option to run it in the UH gain mode removing the risk of overheating.

The fan is really well made and suprisingly powerful. I think as a whole this is a really well made unit. I had a schiit Mjolnir on my work desk which was taking up too much room and a smsl SP200 with a topping dac on my bedside table (which the wife hated).

Now I just use this plugged in on my work desk (although i'm very tempted by the K9 Pro now) and use it in transportable mode next to my bed at night.

I don't think I would ever leave the house with it though. I think if you want a truly portable option you should go with the btr7 (which I also own - and is also very good).

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #417 of 715
From my experience it only gets slightly warm when using it on battery not on the fan and in its case on SH gain mode (one below the DC UH gain mode), this is with fairly difficult to drive headphones (ZMF Eikon, DC Noire and Aeon 2 Open).

I mainly use it during the day on UH DC mode on the desk fan stand all day while I work, this is on the lower fan setting and not only does it stop it getting hot, at the end of the day the unit is actually cold.

Since this is the second unit they have made with this form factor I don't think this is an accident, it seems to me that they didn't want to put an internal fan into the unit to make it transportable. When it is transportable (not plugged in via DC) they don't give you the option to run it in the UH gain mode removing the risk of overheating.

The fan is really well made and suprisingly powerful. I think as a whole this is a really well made unit. I had a schiit Mjolnir on my work desk which was taking up too much room and a smsl SP200 with a topping dac on my bedside table (which the wife hated).

Now I just use this plugged in on my work desk (although i'm very tempted by the K9 Pro now) and use it in transportable mode next to my bed at night.

I don't think I would ever leave the house with it though. I think if you want a truly portable option you should go with the btr7 (which I also own - and is also very good).
So it has never shut down on you for overheating?
I own a Btr5 the DAC in the btr7 looks like a side grade. I don’t need a bigger amp. But I haven’t read any reviews on btr7 yet.
I also own Aeon 2 which I thought was pretty easy to drive.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #418 of 715
So it has never shut down on you for overheating?
I own a Btr5 the DAC in the btr7 looks like a side grade. I don’t need a bigger amp. But I haven’t read any reviews on btr7 yet.
I also own Aeon 2 which I thought was pretty easy to drive.

It's never felt more than slightly warm. Hasn't crashed or had any issues.

Dan Clarks are quite difficult to drive properly as they need a lot of current.

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #420 of 715
@FiiO the instruction says, usb driver v5.53? do you mean v5.30? can't see v5.53

> 2. Install the 5.53 USB DAC driver in your Windows computer first:
Dear friend,

Thanks for reminding. Yes, should be 5.30 instead. We have modified this mistake now.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back