[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #2,251 of 3,226
I've been reading some reviews and impressions of the am3d but it is hard to get a clear idea of how it sounds vs the am3e because some people are using the Q5 and compare it to the other amp modules.
One person said the am3d was warmer than the am3b, but another has said that the am3e was warmer than the am3d. I would be happy for the increase in soundstage and other benefits people list but am concerned if it is a brighter sound than the am3e I have on my Q5s that it may become fatiguing. Is anyone able to please comment on their experience with the am3d on the Q5s.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,255 of 3,226
I have no doubt that am3e drives them fine but am3d is less powerful than am3e hence the question. Now, the question again.... will am3d drive the Senn hd6xx comfortably?
Hi, my two cents:
about the driving power, I can tell you, my q5s + am3d drives flawlessly my HD800S, even better than my Sony wm1a, but not for a big margin, I can hear better dynamic range, bigger stage and 3d image improvement (in balanced), in low gain with volume at 3/4 of max range is loud enough for me.
This from my subjective appreciation of course,

Regards.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,256 of 3,226
Hi, my two cents:
about the driving power, I can tell you, my q5s + am3d drives flawlessly my HD800S, even better than my Sony wm1a, but not for a big margin, I can hear better dynamic range, bigger stage and 3d image improvement (in balanced), in low gain with volume at 3/4 of max range is loud enough for me.
This from my subjective appreciation of course,

Regards.

I'm asking this as some classical pieces on the am3e , my hd6xx max out the volume on low gain using 3.5mm (I avoid high gain if possible), though I get better drivability using balanced jack. On pop/rock pieces the am3e performs better and the volume rarely above 12 o'clock using unbalanced. YMMV. I guess if I'm using balanced, drivability should be ok with the am3d.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,257 of 3,226
I'm asking this as some classical pieces on the am3e , my hd6xx max out the volume on low gain using 3.5mm (I avoid high gain if possible), though I get better drivability using balanced jack. On pop/rock pieces the am3e performs better and the volume rarely above 12 o'clock using unbalanced. YMMV. I guess if I'm using balanced, drivability should be ok with the am3d.
...I would guess the same, you should get confortably sound levels with your gear and enough margin to get some slam to your music.

Happy listening!!

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #2,258 of 3,226
I have no doubt that am3e drives them fine but am3d is less powerful than am3e hence the question. Now, the question again.... will am3d drive the Senn hd6xx comfortably?

Mister, i give you another idea, if you are to buy amp module, you can also check Fiio A5 amp instead and use the Q5s as DAC only. You will get more power for any type headphones.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #2,261 of 3,226
:astonished:, 3 devices!! DAP, Q5s and A5 !!! No, thank you :laughing: However, will check out the product A5

Ahm...well, i dont have Q5s, but i have Q5 with AM5 and its stock module, its not really that powerful. Wont make HD6xx rumble on head. Get them loud, yes. But thats about it.
Line out on the Q5 and Q5s are good however, and connected to another amp like A5, its gets 2x louder than any module for the Q5, balanced or not. Thats why i proposed this. And you dont have to look for balanced cables, if the headphones doesnt come with one. But true, i see its not convinient always when on the way.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #2,262 of 3,226
You could also look into the AM5 amp module for the Q5S. Similar power levels as the A5 without adding an additional device.

A5 is almost 1w at 32ohms, no, the amp modules, any of them are less, balanced or not.

Sound quality, there will be some coloration difference for sure, but you get all the details as well when using Q5 as dac goint to another amp.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2,263 of 3,226
I can confirm the USB noise in the FiiO Music app on my Sony Xperia X Compact. If I play music from USB Audio Player PRO via there USB driver I do not get the same noise. Initial I though my music was converted badly. Maybe you can confirm this as well.

I updated the firmware and using Fiio music player in USB passthrough mode now its much better.

Only issue I have now is the clicking sound when changing input, can other ppl here confirm it is normal or only my amp is affected.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #2,265 of 3,226
So these are things I noticed so far with my Q5S.

3) I used the Ampere app and its showing a reading of ~500 mA in USB mode, wth no USB it's about 160 to 200 mA, the measurement for Q5 using proper OTG cable (non charging data only) is only about 200 mA, youtube link here.

Can it be a faulty USB module? I am using the official FiiO CL-06 cable for usb connection.
Everything is OK.
In video you are not using official Fiio cable, it looks differently, I have both ML-06 and CL-06 and they have grey connectors.
You have to use cable with OTG ending on both sides to have no charging. The one with charging has OTG only on phone side! See the arrows. It is not good for this purpose.
There is a lot of posts about it here some pages ago.
If you want to use the "bad" cable without discharging phone, you have to disable charging in Fio application by bluetooth first. See also some pages back for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back