[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,236 of 3,226
So these are things I noticed so far with my Q5S.

1) There is a volume difference in Bluetooth (LDAC) and USB audio, not sure why it is, I kept my phone volume to 100% and Q5S volume constant in both cases, but still Bluetooth is about 20%-30% louder than USB.

2) This is bit more serious I am hearing some clicking / popping / hissing sound in USB mode, this particularly occurs when the song is paused (so it should be quiet), changing the input and turning the amp on / off using the volume knob, I am scratching my head because Bluetooth mode is absolutely quiet.

3) I used the Ampere app and its showing a reading of ~500 mA in USB mode, wth no USB it's about 160 to 200 mA, the measurement for Q5 using proper OTG cable (non charging data only) is only about 200 mA, youtube link here.

Can it be a faulty USB module? I am using the official FiiO CL-06 cable for usb connection.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,237 of 3,226
So these are things I noticed so far with my Q5S.

1) There is a volume difference in Bluetooth (LDAC) and USB audio, not sure why it is, I kept my phone volume to 100% and Q5S volume constant in both cases, but still Bluetooth is about 20%-30% louder than USB.

2) This is bit more serious I am hearing some clicking / popping / hissing sound in USB mode, this particularly occurs when the song is paused (so it should be quiet), changing the input and turning the amp on / off using the volume knob, I am scratching my head because Bluetooth mode is absolutely quiet.

3) I used the Ampere app and its showing a reading of ~500 mA in USB mode, wth no USB it's about 160 to 200 mA, the measurement for Q5 using proper OT cable (non charging data only) is only about 200 mA, youtube link here.

Can it be a faulty USB module? I am using the official FiiO CL-06 cable for usb connection.

I can confirm the USB noise in the FiiO Music app on my Sony Xperia X Compact. If I play music from USB Audio Player PRO via there USB driver I do not get the same noise. Initial I though my music was converted badly. Maybe you can confirm this as well.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #2,238 of 3,226
A couple of years ago I was originally looking at the Q5 but I got a good price for a secondhand xDSD - the sound is excellent but I never liked the device itself, from the fingerprint magnet odd shaped physical design to the volume dial and weird combination of presses to get the mode you want. The bluetooth frequently gave me grief when trying to use with my Nvidia Shield or TV (whereas my trusty BTR3 was fine), and having to use a pigtail for my 4.4mm cables is less than ideal. I woke up yesterday morning and saw a big Black Friday discount on the Q5s so snapped it up immediately. I've been busy so after charging fully I've only been able to spend about 5 minutes with it, but so far I'm very happy with it. The on/off/volume is ideal, the bluetooth and function buttons are just what I wanted and it connects without a hitch so far with my Nvidia Shield. In my opinion the xDSD has the edge for sound but it does not disappoint - I can hear a bit more low end with the Q5s and it perhaps has a brighter sound with the stock amp module. I know there are arguments about burn in, but I have experienced it with my ZX300, so I see what a 100 odd hours does to it. Does anyone know of a thread or site that directly compares the different modules for the Q5s? I could be happy with the stock one, but I'm open to any improvements the others may offer.

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2,239 of 3,226
A couple of years ago I was originally looking at the Q5 but I got a good price for a secondhand xDSD - the sound is excellent but I never liked the device itself, from the fingerprint magnet odd shaped physical design to the volume dial and weird combination of presses to get the mode you want. The bluetooth frequently gave me grief when trying to use with my Nvidia Shield or TV (whereas my trusty BTR3 was fine), and having to use a pigtail for my 4.4mm cables is less than ideal. I woke up yesterday morning and saw a big Black Friday discount on the Q5s so snapped it up immediately. I've been busy so after charging fully I've only been able to spend about 5 minutes with it, but so far I'm very happy with it. The on/off/volume is ideal, the bluetooth and function buttons are just what I wanted and it connects without a hitch so far with my Nvidia Shield. In my opinion the xDSD has the edge for sound but it does not disappoint - I can hear a bit more low end with the Q5s and it perhaps has a brighter sound with the stock amp module. I know there are arguments about burn in, but I have experienced it with my ZX300, so I see what a 100 odd hours does to it. Does anyone know of a thread or site that directly compares the different modules for the Q5s? I could be happy with the stock one, but I'm open to any improvements the others may offer.
When you talked about the stock amp module...are you talking about am3e vs am3d ?

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #2,240 of 3,226
Get the am3d it is cleaner has more controlled bass better imaging better soundstage but it only has 3.5 and 4.4

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2,241 of 3,226
When you talked about the stock amp module...are you talking about am3e vs am3d ?
I think it's the am3e that is supplied with the Q5s. I think with the Q5 there were a few different modules but maybe it's only the am3d (thx?) I'm thinking of.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #2,243 of 3,226
I think it's the am3e that is supplied with the Q5s. I think with the Q5 there were a few different modules but maybe it's only the am3d (thx?) I'm thinking of.
There are a lot of old ones but the am3d is the only upgrade for you

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #2,244 of 3,226
Get the am3d it is cleaner has more controlled bass better imaging better soundstage but it only has 3.5 and 4.4
Thanks, I'll read up on that one - 4.4mm is perfect for me as from mostly using my ZX300 I've come to love the solid connector and my iems and overheads have 4.4mm cables.
I think I was getting confused with the amp modules that came out with the Q5 - am3a/b/c/d/e

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,245 of 3,226
Duno if it is already answered, but coming from an ES100, there its EQ 'lives' in the device itself, and every source or player i use, the es100 apply the same config EQ.
So anybody knows how the Q5s EQ works, or is apply?

This is a must for my and my ease of use, but overall, having an EQ for my iems that will not change if I switch from my S9 to my pc or mac
Thanks guys!

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #2,246 of 3,226
Duno if it is already answered, but coming from an ES100, there its EQ 'lives' in the device itself, and every source or player i use, the es100 apply the same config EQ.
So anybody knows how the Q5s EQ works, or is apply?

This is a must for my and my ease of use, but overall, having an EQ for my iems that will not change if I switch from my S9 to my pc or mac
Thanks guys!
The eq is crap compared to es 100

On ldac it dont even work and on usb its just for the app

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #2,248 of 3,226
O dear, maybe it's intended for more purists. Shame on @FiiO for not giving us options. I almost pull the trigger in alliexpress.
=(
If you have a android and are willing to root it to get viper4android then you are in heaven whit the q5s hardware is top software is flop

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #2,249 of 3,226
I'm considering getting the am3d, is there any demand for the am3e? Perhaps a Q5 owner? I would ideally sell it to finance the upgrade.

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #2,250 of 3,226
I'm considering getting the am3d, is there any demand for the am3e? Perhaps a Q5 owner? I would ideally sell it to finance the upgrade.
The am3e has a bit more power for headphones or iems that are harder to drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back