[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Nov 4, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,131 of 3,226
Yeah. I'm having a bad bug that I hope @FiiO address. When I tap on the Q5S it loads the controls and then immediate takes me back to the device selection screen. I sometimes get a popup to re-pair the Q5S and then it shows as disconnect (despite it actually being connected because I'm listening to music).
Go the the phone and forget FiiO Q5 in settings / bluetooth, disconnect all the cables from the amp and open it, press the play button for 5 seconds then reconnect again the bluetooth from the phone’s settings. After that open the FiiO music app, go to bt control and confirm the pairing in the app. Everything should work fine after that.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,132 of 3,226
I have had my Q5s for a week now and I like it. But I may return it and here is why:

I wish the battery was a backup to a 5v DC-in connection. I don't like having to turn off charging through the Android app everytime I turn it on and I certainly don't want it charging constantly. An external 'charge off' button would have been nice.

It gets very hot while turned on. I wish I had a FLIR camera to see how hot it gets. It gets warmer in PC USB DAC mode than bluetooth, but bluetooth also gets hot. I get that the case is a heatsink and the fact that it is hot is 'good' because that is heat leaving the hardware, but I'd like to know if others' Q5s gets pretty warm in use.

The battery life is not even close to advertised. Tidal Hi-Fi drains about 25% an hour and bluetooth LDAC drains nearly the same. I am hoping I don't have a defective unit.

I might be looking for a desktop DAC with a 4.4mm output in the future.

Nov 5, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #2,133 of 3,226
I have had my Q5s for a week now and I like it. But I may return it and here is why:

I wish the battery was a backup to a 5v DC-in connection. I don't like having to turn off charging through the Android app everytime I turn it on and I certainly don't want it charging constantly. An external 'charge off' button would have been nice.

It gets very hot while turned on. I wish I had a FLIR camera to see how hot it gets. It gets warmer in PC USB DAC mode than bluetooth, but bluetooth also gets hot. I get that the case is a heatsink and the fact that it is hot is 'good' because that is heat leaving the hardware, but I'd like to know if others' Q5s gets pretty warm in use.

The battery life is not even close to advertised. Tidal Hi-Fi drains about 25% an hour and bluetooth LDAC drains nearly the same. I am hoping I don't have a defective unit.

I'm with you on how warm Q5s gets....I once listened, just under half an hour using usb to usb connection and put both player and Q5s in a pouch and when I took both of them out...whoa...Q5s was very warm!! I guess no putting in pouch while listening though I hope it will be ok with a leather case (on the way). Battery life too is a suspect but overall I'm more than happy with SQ that the annoyances become minor. :smile_phones:

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #2,134 of 3,226

Everything normal you will discover more stuff like no ldac eq and filters do nothing

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,136 of 3,226
Is anyone using this with an NW-ZX300 via the Fiio - Sony WM Port L27 cable, how does it perform?

I'm planning on getting a set of HD-660Ss to run via the Q5s 4.4 connections

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,137 of 3,226
Is anyone using this with an NW-ZX300 via the Fiio - Sony WM Port L27 cable, how does it perform?

I'm planning on getting a set of HD-660Ss to run via the Q5s 4.4 connections

It should work fine. I am using a knock-off WM Port adapter I purchased on Aliexpress and it works with both my WM1z and A55. Having said that, I find using LDAC connection to be far more convenient and don't really hear any difference in sound.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,138 of 3,226
It should work fine. I am using a knock-off WM Port adapter I purchased on Aliexpress and it works with both my WM1z and A55. Having said that, I find using LDAC connection to be far more convenient and don't really hear any difference in sound.

I'm new to all this so must admit I'd not really given LDAC much thought.

The L27 cable is not much, so I can get it and play with LDAC too. Obviously a lot less hassle than cables whilst on the move.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #2,140 of 3,226
Nov 6, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #2,141 of 3,226
Wise choice, bud. Enjoy your new stuff! :beerchug:

Cheers

From what I've read I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

Trouble is my excuse not to buy a pair of HD-660Ss has just disappeared....£££
But I'll give the DT880s a work out first.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #2,142 of 3,226
Cheers

From what I've read I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

Trouble is my excuse not to buy a pair of HD-660Ss has just disappeared....£££
But I'll give the DT880s a work out first.
Well, if you're not ready to fork out the dough for a pair of 660s, a pair of 58x from Drop will get you 90% of the way there for about 1/3 of the cost. I'd consider them too if I were you.

Also, 880s are SE only. The Q5s shines when used balanced. 2.5x the power is no joke!

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,143 of 3,226
Well, if you're not ready to fork out the dough for a pair of 660s, a pair of 58x from Drop will get you 90% of the way there for about 1/3 of the cost. I'd consider them too if I were you.

Also, 880s are SE only. The Q5s shines when used balanced. 2.5x the power is no joke!

Na 660s with balanced 4.4 is what I'll get.

I'll run the 880s to see how much I'll use open phones (I got them for PC gamimg), if they're not for me if I'll stick with the XBA-3APs

Nov 6, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #2,144 of 3,226
Na 660s with balanced 4.4 is what I'll get.

I'll run the 880s to see how much I'll use open phones (I got them for PC gamimg), if they're not for me if I'll stick with the XBA-3APs

I'm using 660s with Q5s. Got the hp not for the matching 's' at the back :beyersmile: but it's a good hp and it comes with balanced 4.4mm cable. So far I'm happy with the sound and I use low gain and low bass of the Q5s, volume circa 11 o'clock for pop/rock and 12 o'clock for classical. Connection wise is with the fiio l27 wmport to usb cable. LDAC huh....have given a lot of thought about BT but never come to it. I haven't also upgraded the fw. Is it worth it to upgrade the fw at this point in time by just using wired connection ?

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #2,145 of 3,226
@FiiO
After update firmware to 0.39, my Q5S stuttering badly the first 10-15 second music playing, normal after that (bluetooth connection to my phone)
Also sometimes after I powered off Q5S, bluetooth led at the front keeps blinking. I have to power on and off again to make the led off.

Can I downgrade my firmware to earlier version ? Where I can download it ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back