[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #2,101 of 3,226
I received my Q5s a bit over a month ago, and have some mixed feelings on the device. My reason for posting is to better understand if the issues/questions I have are valid or simply misguided, and secondarily to engage in some constructive feedback about the device so it can be improved in the future.

Let's start with the good:

1. I think this device sounds amazing. I exclusively use portable amps/dacs while listening, and the Q5s matches or exceeds anything i've owned/demoed.I list this first because that is the reason we buy these devices, and I wanted to be clear it hits on its primary purpose.
2. Virtually limitless connectivity options make this device extremely versatile. It has three headphone connectors—2.5mm bal, 3.5mm, and 4.4 bal. It has also has nearly every conceivable source connection from bluetooth to digital and analogue.
3. Swappable amplifiers as a core feature allow for some future-proofing. The evolution of their current module lineup is a testament to their potential for lasting relevance. I also understand that their updated firmwares may keep its software up-to-standard as well.

Now the confusing:
1. For me, one of the sellling points of the Q5s is its Apple MFI certification. If anyone has resorted to buying a variety of dubiously sourced OTG cables that require you to Frankenstein together just to connect via USB (oddly specific maybe), you realize how clean the look of a simple short cable can be--especially on a portable device.fof of have experience trying to manage the bulkiness of the CCK, asince it would allow for digital connection to my iPhone without the need for the bulky CCK adapter or some weird assortment of OTG adapters to

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #2,102 of 3,226
Yes, sell the X3 II, sell the A3, get the Q5s and a decent phone, so you can take advantage of the hi-res Bluetooth codecs. :wink:

Hi, I have X3II and recently bought Q5s. I can connect them via FIIO coax cable but I'm wondering if I can connect them using usb... maybe Fiio ML06, does it work? I'm asking this because I have tried normal usb to usb connection using off the shelf male-male micro usb and no sound coming out from Q5s. I have tried setting usb mode of X3II to storage and DAC but still no sound. Appreciate any help. fyi fw for X3II is 2.0

Oct 27, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,103 of 3,226
Hi, I have X3II and recently bought Q5s. I can connect them via FIIO coax cable but I'm wondering if I can connect them using usb... maybe Fiio ML06, does it work? I'm asking this because I have tried normal usb to usb connection using off the shelf male-male micro usb and no sound coming out from Q5s. I have tried setting usb mode of X3II to storage and DAC but still no sound. Appreciate any help. fyi fw for X3II is 2.0

You may need a USB OTG cable to make this type of setup work. I believe FiiO sells a micro to micro, as well as a micro to usb c version

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,105 of 3,226
Hi, Thanks for the reply. In the X3II, what should I use, is it "storage" or "dac" for usb mode ?

Are you sure X3II can output USB Audio ? I Doubt there is USB Audio for X3II.
I strongly belive here 'dac' mean USB audio input not USB output.

I'm using my X5II with Q5s via Fiio L28 coax cable and it sounds excllent.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #2,106 of 3,226
Are you sure X3II can output USB Audio ? I Doubt there is USB Audio for X3II.
I strongly belive here 'dac' mean USB audio input not USB output.

I'm using my X5II with Q5s via Fiio L28 coax cable and it sounds excllent.

I have my doubts too about X3II and usb audio. Yeah, no doubt that using coax with Q5s, sounds good which is what I'm doing now but usb connection intrigues me. I have high hopes that the usb connection can still happen because the player can dock with Fiio K5 and that is a usb connection. However I do note that they removed the docking function of X3II in the latest fw which I hope is not an issue with usb audio.

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #2,107 of 3,226
I have my doubts too about X3II and usb audio. Yeah, no doubt that using coax with Q5s, sounds good which is what I'm doing now but usb connection intrigues me. I have high hopes that the usb connection can still happen because the player can dock with Fiio K5 and that is a usb connection. However I do note that they removed the docking function of X3II in the latest fw which I hope is not an issue with usb audio.

Let us know if you succeed,

Please note K5’s docking micro usb pin is special one, Remember the original / first gen K5 also comes with back micro USB port which in future suppose to take all Fiio’s future line up with a special Micro USB - to - Something/ Everything cable, but they failed to come up with such cable because they replied it will be huge adopter housing need to implement which is not practical at all....so they dropped the project. < This create huge disappointments to the buyer. Later they also removed the back Micro USB port from the K5’s body.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #2,108 of 3,226
Let us know if you succeed,

Please note K5’s docking micro usb pin is special one, Remember the original / first gen K5 also comes with back micro USB port which in future suppose to take all Fiio’s future line up with a special Micro USB - to - Something/ Everything cable, but they failed to come up with such cable because they replied it will be huge adopter housing need to implement which is not practical at all....so they dropped the project. < This create huge disappointments to the buyer. Later they also removed the back Micro USB port from the K5’s body.

Please see this answer from this link https://www.head-fi.org/threads/upgrades-to-fiio-x3-2nd-gen.816009/#post-15274300 .It seems that Fiio X3II does not support usb audio. So that is that and I'll have to make do with coax connection with Q5s

Oct 28, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #2,109 of 3,226
Not sure if this is to do with the new FW update (which all went perfectly) on iOS but when launching the BT control the Q5s still shows as disconnected however tapping it still proceeds to the controls. Some of the menu items are now only partially displayed, with some areas hidden as if the screen is too small. The worst thing is the custom settings for the EQ are not retained once Q5s is switched off or otherwise disconnected.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #2,110 of 3,226
Not sure if this is to do with the new FW update (which all went perfectly) on iOS but when launching the BT control the Q5s still shows as disconnected however tapping it still proceeds to the controls. Some of the menu items are now only partially displayed, with some areas hidden as if the screen is too small. The worst thing is the custom settings for the EQ are not retained once Q5s is switched off or otherwise disconnected.
Dear friend,

Which areas or items are not displayed? If you are convenient, please send more detals to support@fiio.com.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #2,111 of 3,226
3D588F6E-6B61-4C13-909F-0281AD027C06.png 4FAE8F54-D5BD-4A40-B8D8-C54B2C1A8255.png
Dear friend,

Which areas or items are not displayed? If you are convenient, please send more detals to support@fiio.com.

Best regards

you can see that the description for the RGB indicator button isn’t complete - “Until de...restarts” which obviously should read “Until device restarts”, and the codec selection is partially cut off by the bottom menu bar.

In the second photo the Low Pass filter description is not showing properly. This is using iPhone 11 P Max.

Again my other concern is how the EQ always resets to a flat 0 setting and does not remember the chosen settings as it did before.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2,112 of 3,226
you can see that the description for the RGB indicator button isn’t complete - “Until de...restarts” which obviously should read “Until device restarts”, and the codec selection is partially cut off by the bottom menu bar.

In the second photo the Low Pass filter description is not showing properly. This is using iPhone 11 P Max.

Again my other concern is how the EQ always resets to a flat 0 setting and does not remember the chosen settings as it did before.

You missed the 'Idle Standby' slider which is set to 10 min but it parked at 'OFF' position - This misplaced display also is in the Andriod App Too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #2,113 of 3,226
You missed the 'Idle Standby' slider which is set to 10 min but it parked at 'OFF' position - This misplaced display also is in the Andriod App Too.

I think that was actually my fault as I moved the slider just before grabbing the screen shot so I don’t think that’s actually an issue. Now I’m wondering how I can go back to the original FW as that was working well for me and didn’t have these issues, and perhaps I should have stuck to the “if it ain’t broke” rule!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back