[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 22, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,531 of 3,234
I love that module. People say that an amp doesn't influenced the imaginary stage- well I beg to differ, if the stereo separation is better and you have cans that can produce a big wide 3d stage you can hear a difference.

Everything in am3d is spread out more and seems to extend way out of your head like sp1000 or wm1z and the placement is not only wide but deep, making it very easy to place instruments in 3d space, the effect on am3d is quite vivid, even more so than am3e which also has excellent imaging.

The default module doesn't seem as wide and definitly not as deep and tall.

Ymmv but I'm glad fiio has made the thx module readily available. Now for a different flavour a tube type module would be very cool- what do you say Fiio?

Clarity and space! Its a very clean amp with space!

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,532 of 3,234
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,533 of 3,234
So - temperature after 1 hour in leather case with balanced IEMs temperature reached 43C. Today is very cold day, normally this time is around 7C more. So it may reach 50C when no air ventilation. This is measured temperature of the body.

But during today playing I found really big probably HW fault.
When playing DSD tracks then LEFT and RIGHT channels are switched!!! When playing PCM tracks then it is ok. When playing the same tracks in Foobar on PC then everything is ok.
I tried with different headphones both SE and balanced output. Headphones are ok, well connected.
Tested on tracks from audiophile test album for speaker setup which has the same tracks in 24/96, 24/192 and DSD128 format. I was surprised when I heard "channel left" from right side playing DSD.

With Fiio Q1mkII left and right are correct for all formats.
So Q5s has wrong connections inside between DAC and AMP or something like that.

@FiiO Fiio tell us something about it! This is big school fail in such expensive audiophile device. It may create big problem especially in binaural recordings.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #1,534 of 3,234
So - temperature after 1 hour in leather case with balanced IEMs temperature reached 43C. Today is very cold day, normally this time is around 7C more. So it may reach 50C when no air ventilation. This is measured temperature of the body.

When playing DSD tracks then LEFT and RIGHT channels are switched!!! When playing PCM tracks then it is ok. When playing the same tracks in Foobar on PC then everything is ok.
I tried with different headphones both SE and balanced output. Headphones are ok, well connected.
Tested on tracks from audiophile test album for speaker setup which has the same tracks in 24/96, 24/192 and DSD128 format. I was surprised when I heard "channel left" from right side playing DSD.

@FiiO Fiio tell us something about it! This is big school fail in such expensive audiophile device. It may create big problem especially in binaural recordings.

Sounds more like software bug than hardware, since you indicate that depending on the format of audio causes this issue.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,535 of 3,234
It depends if DAC chip has separate output for DSD and PCM or only one common. I hope it is this case - sw correctable.

Edit: I checked DAC datasheet and it has separate input for L and R channel common for both DSD and PCM.
So the problem is before DAC chip, how it is feeded with L/R data. Where input data are decoded and streamed to DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,536 of 3,234

Well, the body may act as a heatsink for the DACs, so that reading doesn't tell us much about the temperature of the battery. Unless units start failing (and Filip don't provide replacements) I don't see any problem here.

As for the DSD thing, I don't have any files to try, but it's definitely software. There shouldn't be separate connections for DSD and PCM, everything is normally handled by the DAC in software. Easiest solution would be to swap the channels in software if possible. Other than that, maybe contact Fiio and notify them of the issue. Maybe they can push a firmware update to correct the issue.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,537 of 3,234
I also sent it to support@fiio.net but I don't believe it has sense. I sent email 2 years ago about some problem and until now no answer. And I am not alone with such experience.

By the way example from Fiio support forum - question from middle of March, answer 5 months later.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,539 of 3,234
Yep he's right dsd tracks are reversed through usb out. I also contacted Fiio, so we shall see. They seem to always answer me, but it sometimes takes 3 or 4 days.

Through bluetooth it's fine of course. Luckily there is a swap channels feature in neutron. Yes you can update the firmware I believe.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,540 of 3,234
Lol channels in dsd switched and eq for bluetooth does not work and roll of filters dont work. And that in a second gen device

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,541 of 3,234
Lol channels in dsd switched and eq for bluetooth does not work and roll of filters dont work. And that in a second gen device

Lol my eq on neutron and the fiio app both work on bluetooth output. Haven't checked the filters but I always leave it on fast/sharp roll off anyways.

The switched channels on dsd is pretty crazy

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,542 of 3,234
I just sent an email to FiiO as well with regards to the Bluetooth issue with iOS.

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,543 of 3,234
Lol my eq on neutron and the fiio app both work on bluetooth output. Haven't checked the filters but I always leave it on fast/sharp roll off anyways.

The switched channels on dsd is pretty crazy
Mine eq dont work on bluetooth

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,545 of 3,234
Which app? Or music player
In the fiio app the equalizer does nothing i can slide the bars and nothing changes fiio told me the bluetooth eq is system wide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back