[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 5, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #931 of 3,226
Well, how can I not post in this thread?

I have a few questions for FiiO in general, not only about the Q5s, if that's okay. And in case FiiO already answered these questions (or related ones) already in this forum, please, feel free to link me to these posts.

I'm curious about the process of creating a new FiiO DAC/amp. What are the key steps? Do you first look at the price tag you want to sell a product for, then you go look for what the most interesting components/chips are available for that price range? If in doubt, what does ultimately decide to go for one component or the other: Measurements and raw numbers on paper, or the "ears" of your team? I mean, if you have to decide between a DAC chip that costs the same, do you get the one that looks better on paper (or actually measures better in your own lab tests), or do you build prototypes with different chips and then compare?

Even less about products now: Are there headphones or earphones that FiiO staff really loves or really hates? Or is your staff very divided about such questions and everyone has their favorites, while other people prefer their own odd choices? In any case, I'd love to hear what you have to share about that. If you can share anything about your process of listening to other brands' products and comparing them, do you have specific references, or do you try to get your hands on anything you can and try as much as possible?

Also, very similar: If you had unlimited financial resources, which headphones + DAC + amp would you buy? Also, if you had unlimited financial resources and also not the goal to make a product, let's say a DAC/amp combo, profitable, but only the goal to build the best machine possible, how do you think you would design it and what sort of components would you use (if you think that there already is a "perfect product", what is it?))

Bonus question: You have 100 USD and own a smartphone as music source (Bluetooth as well as analog), you need earphones and a DAC/amp. What do you buy? (100 USD on the US market, so you have to "pay" US retail prices)

I can come up with silly questions all day... But I'll stop for now. :wink:

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #932 of 3,226
Should the USB connection not sound better then line in ?
I would say that completely depends on what you plug into that line in... If you mean, comparing a device that has an analog line-out and can also output via USB, then it really depends on the quality of the signal of that line-out. Realistically, if we're talking about a PC/Laptop or a phone, then the onboard sound line-out connected to the line-in of the Q5s will almost certainly, in every case, deliver worse results than a USB connection, where the Q5s is the DAC.
If you plug something into that line-in when USB isn't even an option, like, a (line-level) phono out to play some vinyl and still use the Q5s as headphone amp, that's something else entirely and hard to compare.

Or did I misinterpret your question?

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #933 of 3,226
Cool competition :)

The Q5S looks like a great audio version of the Swiss Army knife:
Bluetooth so I can listen to something on iPhone sans audio jack? Check.
USB-DAC so I can stream music or watch movies on my PC in way better quality? Check
Enough driving power? Check
Balanced and both balanced jacks? Even better.

Since this is out already I would have thought there’d be some more reviews and impressions around.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #934 of 3,226
Cool competition :)

The Q5S looks like a great audio version of the Swiss Army knife:
Bluetooth so I can listen to something on iPhone sans audio jack? Check.
USB-DAC so I can stream music or watch movies on my PC in way better quality? Check
Enough driving power? Check
Balanced and both balanced jacks? Even better.

Since this is out already I would have thought there’d be some more reviews and impressions around.
I am curious to see more reviews. The feedback thus far seems to be that the Q5Ss advantage is in amping more than the actual DAC itself. REALLY interested to see how this measures up against my beloved Mojo <3

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #935 of 3,226
DACs in general are already very good so managing to make truly audible differences between competent devices is difficult without deliberately setting out to colour the sound. I also think that fixing the back-charging issue, and providing more Bluetooth codec coverage are excellent additions to the Q5s capabilities as compared with the Q5.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #936 of 3,226
Hi,

I have just gotten my Q5S yesterday evening. This morning i was using it connected to my phone using BT (LDAC). I find the body of Q5S was quite warm. Does your Q5S get warm? I put it in my pocket and i can feel the heat.... hope this is normal.

Thank you

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #937 of 3,226
Hi,

I have just gotten my Q5S yesterday evening. This morning i was using it connected to my phone using BT (LDAC). I find the body of Q5S was quite warm. Does your Q5S get warm? I put it in my pocket and i can feel the heat.... hope this is normal.

Thank you
In bt mode mine get also very warm. Too warm I will use it as a heater in winter

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #938 of 3,226
In bt mode mine get also very warm. Too warm I will use it as a heater in winter

Lol . I was using the original pouch as to prevent it from any scratches. Wonder this mk it even hotter as heat more difficult to dissipate out.

Anyone of you gotten a nice cover for your Q5S? So far i did not see any original casing from Fiio for this Q5S. Only have a brand call DD or smthing which comes wif the bundle bands build into the case.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #940 of 3,226
Hi,

Thank you
Do NOT use a Mojo if this bothers you LOL

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #941 of 3,226
So my thoughts are always in many different places looking for the best answer, solutuon or idea.
That being said I fully understand the importance of a portable DAC/AMP combo. At $350 Fiio is basically saying, "Ok, here's where we are at now. We can charge higher prices too". Not so many budget friendly bang for buck devices are around anymore. All of these companies are from China. At $350 for just a DAC/AMP and yes Bluetooth output too. Seems like more and more Fiio is jumping on the price increase bandwagon rolling around mainly in our very own prosperous country, USA.
Here is the dilemma: I pay a grand or so for my Note 9. I pay another $350 to bypass the DAC and AMP bluetooth too. Same for iOs users. That's a lot of scratch (cash).
I love the quality and craftsmanship of the Q5s, but I took a different route and I'm very happy indeed! I purchased a Hiby R3 DAP that does it all and sounds utterly amazing doing it, seriously that great. Now I dont have to connect, stack, charge 2 devices. With my lovely little Hiby R3 it's all in one. All in.one, that's a great place to be IF it works for you, like me. I am listening to my playlist on Tidal as I write this comment.
This is bang for buck value! $200 all in (plus up to 2 tb micro sd card). I'm using a Samsung EVO Red 256gb currently. You see I understand completely that Fiio produces some really great devices, some not so great lately with compatibility issues (Android 9). The value is just not there! Fact is we as humans can only hear within a certain range I believe it's up to 20Khz. The rest is all sweet candy that we cannot eat if we tried, facts.
I'm not bashing the Q5s at all. I own some Fiio DAC's and Amps too. For instance I absolutely love my K3 DAC/AMP at $110. Or my A3 amp at $60. But to lay down what I consider a lot of money for a device to piggyback on another device has truly lost its value.
I believe, and this is totally subjective, that Fiio sees we in USA have some very deep pockets (compared to China) and they are now capitalizing on that. Thats fine and all good, but now we are losing the the VALUE in a Chinese owned and operated from China company.in regard to FIIO. It's great to have options, and some have more than others..my situation again is purely subjective, or rather. In my opinion.
But this amazing $200 Hiby DAP, wow is there value in that! Lots.
It's just my opinion and that may change too. After all I own the EarStudio ES100-24bit Portable High-Resolution Bluetooth Receiver and love it! I can use that with my Note 9 or Hiby R3 perfectly LDAC out to any IEM,s or Headphones I choose. There's a lot of value there to at $79..
So please dont jump all over me for this long winded semi rant. Just trying to be practical and yes, value conscious too.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #942 of 3,226
I think $350 for the quality and features is far from gouging mate. Is there profit, of course, but I find it a little funny that an American questions a companies right to make as much money as the market will bare. Isn't that in a nutshell what America and capitalism is all about? Additionally, over time all companies that start as crazy value propositions become a little less so as their success allows. You start to need to do marketing, better R&D move up-market and those things necessitate building up some capital. Could the Q5s have sold for less and still earned a profit, likely, but I don't think it should just be assumed that the profit margin is massive and FiiO is making money hand over fist.

I personally feel the price is appropriate given the sound quality and other factors, but opinions will vary.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #943 of 3,226
I think $350 for the quality and features is far from gouging mate. Is there profit, of course, but I find it a little funny that an American questions a companies right to make as much money as the market will bare. Isn't that in a nutshell what America and capitalism is all about? Additionally, over time all companies that start as crazy value propositions become a little less so as their success allows. You start to need to do marketing, better R&D move up-market and those things necessitate building up some capital. Could the Q5s have sold for less and still earned a profit, likely, but I don't think it should just be assumed that the profit margin is massive and FiiO is making money hand over fist.

I personally feel the price is appropriate given the sound quality and other factors, but opinions will vary.

Not questioning China financial options versus the USA. Yes I'm proud to be an American. Just saying products are way less expensive to produce abroad is all. And that's a fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back