[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,246 of 3,226
Bass boost circuits have capacitors, give the bass boost a couple of hours of use and see if the sound improves. If not, then perhaps the bass boost circuit isn't very good, or your headphone just doesn't gel with it.
I am curious about this comment, what will change about capacitor over a "break in" period of time?

I also find the mids veiled or muddy when using the bass boost on the Q5s.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,247 of 3,226
I am curious about this comment, what will change about capacitor over a "break in" period of time?

I also find the mids veiled or muddy when using the bass boost on the Q5s.

Voltage and capacitance will change after about 60 to 100 hours depending on the type of cap. I doubt that will effect the bass boost in any meaningful way.

Sometimes it's nice if I want something like the old mega bass boosts on the walkmans and discmans- it's like a light version of that.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,248 of 3,226
Voltage and capacitance will change after about 60 to 100 hours depending on the type of cap. I doubt that will effect the bass boost in any meaningful way.

Sometimes it's nice if I want something like the old mega bass boosts on the walkmans and discmans- it's like a light version of that.

I am not familiar with this effect, but even if that would be the case, wouldn't the change be smaller than say, the tolerance % of the capacitor itself and thus the difference between two physical different capacitor of the same specs be greater and still pretty much invisible to our hearing?

On a different note, I don't quite like the volume control on the Q5s, I am not sure if the ADC based volume control acts like a log pot or like a linear one (I am suspecting that has a linear behaviour) as the volume increase perviceved seems pretty small at first and then at 10 o'clock or so the increase is more noticeable.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,249 of 3,226
The eq doesn't work systemwide for me. Did anyone else get it to work systemwide. Fiio told me its systemwide

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,250 of 3,226
The eq doesn't work systemwide for me. Did anyone else get it to work systemwide. Fiio told me its systemwide

I downloaded the Fiio Music App for Android. I only listen to music on Spotify, it seems to me that the EQ only works when the music is playing from the Fiio App itself. The audio panning (left to right balance) did work even on spotify, but is not well implemented to my ears, as moving the slider completely to one side, you can still hear pretty clearly the opposite chanel. I also changed the low pass filter selection, and I am not sure if it changed anything soundwise, maybe it's my hearing or maybe all the filters sound the same.

This was on bluetooth LDAC connection only.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,251 of 3,226
Having a Balanced out changes everything for the better!
No, not really. Unless, that’s ones preference.

For a final headphone run there is really no benefit for balanced output and such blanket “balanced .. is better” claims are incredibly dubious.

There is no shortage of information on why balanced is mostly marketing. However, a quick summary: cable runs too short with too much power to be subject to relevant interference, any relevant SNR/floor difference is a result of implementation, SE power output can easily match balanced for headphone applications (see: implementation).

So any “difference heard” is likely a psychological effect in your head, a result of the particular implementation, or even not matching output levels between tests: it is not a result of SE vs balanced ‘in general’.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,252 of 3,226
I am not familiar with this effect, but even if that would be the case, wouldn't the change be smaller than say, the tolerance % of the capacitor itself and thus the difference between two physical different capacitor of the same specs be greater and still pretty much invisible to our hearing?

On a different note, I don't quite like the volume control on the Q5s, I am not sure if the ADC based volume control acts like a log pot or like a linear one (I am suspecting that has a linear behaviour) as the volume increase perviceved seems pretty small at first and then at 10 o'clock or so the increase is more noticeable.

Yes the changes are small, and unless you had a slew of caps in the path I don't see how you'd perceive any sonic differences.

But it's possible I guess. More likely the burn in is your brain adjusting the the sound signature. I don't mind the linear nature of the pot itself because on balanced I haven't taken it past 10 o'clock but it is really stiff and recessed.

Luckily I don't use it much. I think uapp and neutron have precise hardware controls you can access. But I've been ok with fiio thus far, but I do like both uapp and neutron.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,254 of 3,226
No, not really. Unless, that’s ones preference.

For a final headphone run there is really no benefit for balanced output and such blanket “balanced .. is better” claims are incredibly dubious.

There is no shortage of information on why balanced is mostly marketing. However, a quick summary: cable runs too short with too much power to be subject to relevant interference, any relevant SNR/floor difference is a result of implementation, SE power output can easily match balanced for headphone applications (see: implementation).

So any “difference heard” is likely a psychological effect in your head, a result of the particular implementation, or even not matching output levels between tests: it is not a result of SE vs balanced ‘in general’.
L R R L & increased sound quality! Balanced also gives you more wattage!

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,255 of 3,226
20190812_221401.jpg
20190812_221401.jpg
I downloaded the Fiio Music App for Android. I only listen to music on Spotify, it seems to me that the EQ only works when the music is playing from the Fiio App itself. The audio panning (left to right balance) did work even on spotify, but is not well implemented to my ears, as moving the slider completely to one side, you can still hear pretty clearly the opposite chanel. I also changed the low pass filter selection, and I am not sure if it changed anything soundwise, maybe it's my hearing or maybe all the filters sound the same.

This was on bluetooth LDAC connection only.
Same story for me. I hope it is a big and will get fixed

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,256 of 3,226
No, not really.

For a final headphone run there is really no benefit for balanced output.

There is no shortage of information on why balanced is mostly marketing. However, a quick summary: cable runs too short with too much power to be subject to interference, any relevant SNR difference is a result of implementation, SE power output can easily match balanced for headphone applications.

So any “difference heard” is a psychological effect in your head, a result of the particular implementation, or even not matching output levels between tests: it is not a result of SE vs balanced ‘in general’.

Not true, balanced audio circuits using a dac for each channel realise better stereo separation of channels- crosstalk.

Besides that it's a moot point but, if you're getting something that has a balanced output- that output has more power than the SE out, so why not use it. Also the 4.4 is a more robust jack which is a benefit in my book.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,258 of 3,226
Not true, balanced audio circuits using a dac for each channel realise better stereo separation of channels- crosstalk.

Besides that it's a moot point but, if you're getting something that has a balanced output- that output has more power than the SE out, so why not use it. Also the 4.4 is a more robust jack which is a benefit in my book.
I will concede the 4.4 (not 2.5! :p) jack robustness.

For others: technical imagery that doesn’t transfer to blind ABX; implementation matters, regardless of SE/balanced output and cabling.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,260 of 3,226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back