[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #1,276 of 3,226
The p1 needs quite a bit of power for it to shine. Try the balanced out with the bass boost.

It's kind of light in the sub bass region.

Yes i was using my 4.4 balanced to drive P1. 3.5mm really cannot drive P1. P1 need some warm up to sound better. However, even 4.4 wif bass boost didnt really help much in the bass. But wif mojo, it is better than q5s with bass boost. Anyway P1 sound is not to my liking.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,277 of 3,226
Anytime you boost a frequency or frequencies you are going to cause a veil of frequencies that are close to the boosted frequencies to one extent or another. That is normal.

Oh so tats explained the veiled sound when i on bass boost.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,278 of 3,226
Yes i was using my 4.4 balanced to drive P1. 3.5mm really cannot drive P1. P1 need some warm up to sound better. However, even 4.4 wif bass boost didnt really help much in the bass. But wif mojo, it is better than q5s with bass boost. Anyway P1 sound is not to my liking.

Yep mojo is warmer than q5, p1 needs a warm source. Really it sounds best with a tube amp. I didn't like p1 either, wasn't my cuppa tea.

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,279 of 3,226
Oh so tats explained the veiled sound when i on bass boost.
Very likely that is the explanation. When I boost, and I frequently boost bass (I do use software boosting) I first off make sure it is an area that should be boosted, and I then use the least amount of boost possible. Another (and some feel a better way) to achieve a perceived boost is to actually drop other frequencies that might be competing with the frequencies you feel need more attention.

Personally, I would much rather use a well done software boost as it places close to total control in your hands and ears so I like to use a good parametric EQ where I can that way I have some control over how wide the adjustment I make goes. I would encourage you to try the boosting with a good quality equalizer and see if by having more control you can dial in the sound that you are looking for.

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,280 of 3,226
Yep mojo is warmer than q5, p1 needs a warm source. Really it sounds best with a tube amp. I didn't like p1 either, wasn't my cuppa tea.
Detail and clarity is really very good for P1. But i find it bright. I cannot take bright sound and it makes me headache and lethargic after listening for sm time. Yes it need to match with warm amp.

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #1,281 of 3,226
Very likely that is the explanation. When I boost, and I frequently boost bass (I do use software boosting) I first off make sure it is an area that should be boosted, and I then use the least amount of boost possible. Another (and some feel a better way) to achieve a perceived boost is to actually drop other frequencies that might be competing with the frequencies you feel need more attention.

Personally, I would much rather use a well done software boost as it places close to total control in your hands and ears so I like to use a good parametric EQ where I can that way I have some control over how wide the adjustment I make goes. I would encourage you to try the boosting with a good quality equalizer and see if by having more control you can dial in the sound that you are looking for.

Currently i am very contented on what i am getting from FA7. Very little songs i will really need to turn on the bass boost.

Another way to play around with better bass is through cabling. I tried a few of interconnecters from my friend (Shanling L2, Fiio CL06 and Labkable). Labkable give better bass and the other 2. Oso the iem cable (Nocturnal brand)which i matched with Labkable. Bass indeed came alive and punchier.

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #1,282 of 3,226
Currently i am very contented on what i am getting from FA7. Very little songs i will really need to turn on the bass boost.

Another way to play around with better bass is through cabling. I tried a few of interconnecters from my friend (Shanling L2, Fiio CL06 and Labkable). Labkable give better bass and the other 2. Oso the iem cable (Nocturnal brand)which i matched with Labkable. Bass indeed came alive and punchier.
While I personally do not subscribe to the idea that cables can make a difference, I am glad that you find they do and even happier for you that the FA7 gives you the sound you want most of the time without any need for adjustment at all. Cheers.

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,283 of 3,226
Was going to say also that neutron has a nice peq and dsp effects if one would want to change the sound. You can always try the trial version.

Listening to this right now, Christine has never sounded better :)

Screenshot_20190812-233757_FiiO Music.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #1,284 of 3,226
@FiiO I'm looking for DAC/amp to use with my computer (no portable require)

I check Q5s in your web site. It state that when connect to computer, it will charge the battery. Please kindly give me further information.

1. When connect to computer, will Q5s use power from battery or from usb?
2. in case battery is broke, can I still use Q5s (with computer)? Or I have to replace the battery?
Dear friend,
1. You could switch the charge on/off option from Fiio music app.
2. You would need to replace the battery.

Best reagards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,285 of 3,226
While I personally do not subscribe to the idea that cables can make a difference, I am glad that you find they do and even happier for you that the FA7 gives you the sound you want most of the time without any need for adjustment at all. Cheers.

I do not hv golden ears nor very sensitive ears. But i am able to hear the difference with different cable.

Also for BT vs USB cable, i find USB generally sound better. Volume i feel is slight louder too. Let me have more time to play around with it

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,286 of 3,226
Anytime you boost a frequency or frequencies you are going to cause a veil of frequencies that are close to the boosted frequencies to one extent or another. That is normal.
From Fiio own page
Screenshot_20190812-230716_Chrome.jpg

The mids and high are underemphasized vs no bass boost. This is clearly perceptible. If the bass boost were in the lower parts of the bass (sub bass) and the mids and highs were not underemphasized the sound would be better.

Topping NX4 does not do this and to my ears sound better.

Screenshot_20190812-231701_Chrome.jpg

That measurement is backed by the manufacturer's own measurements as stated on the quick guide.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #1,287 of 3,226
Great points, but I was saying that it is an architecture decision, how the bass boost functions. ANY boost will have a perceptual effect (to a varying degree) on some other frequency, that is a normal effect. Sometimes, depending on what the designers of the boost decided on, it will work, sometimes it won't. That is why I would never use a hardware boost, I want to decide for my preferences what frequencies are adjusted and by how much not leave it up to somebody else. Just my approach to sound tailoring.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #1,288 of 3,226
Jesus lol it's just a decibel, at volume that dip isn't going to even be noticable. It's even under load.

What sonic defender is trying to say is anytime you have a peak like that it's going to change how the other frequencies sound- there's no way around it. Looks like fiio went for a more gentle amplitude and topping went for a steeper wave

There's you sound difference, and of course how the shaping effects the curve of the phones or iems you're using. And what impedance, 'load'

Thankfully I've got iems with a great sub bass response. So I definitely don't need a bass boost. But I'd rather eq myself and get the exact curve I wanted. I am using balanced though and am3d.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,289 of 3,226
Fiio Music App EQ is only in the app. It is not system-wide.

Dear friend,

1. If you are adjusting the equalizer for FiiO music app, the EQ is only in the app:
upload_2019-8-13_14-45-12.png

2. If you are adjusting the EQ of Q5s from FiiO music app-bluetooth device control-FiiO Q5s-equalizer, the EQ is system-wide when the Q5s is working as Bluetooth receiver.
upload_2019-8-13_14-48-42.png upload_2019-8-13_14-48-24.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #1,290 of 3,226
Does this work with IOS? Using the 1.4 version of the app, I'm unable to connect to my Q5S, though it works fine with my Q5.

Dear friend,

2. If you are adjusting the EQ of Q5s from FiiO music app-bluetooth device control-FiiO Q5s-equalizer, the EQ is system-wide when the Q5s is working as Bluetooth receiver.

Best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back