[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,232 of 3,226
I think we're discussing 2 seperate topics, i'm buying the Q5s no doubt, my question is whether there is a difference in the modules

I have extremely sensitive ears and i find the Q5 to be bright (especially with IER Z1R's) so i was trawling through these impressions to try get an idea of whether the module change impacts the extension in the high end

I agree with you, Q5 is a great bit of kit for its price

Yes the am3d is brighter no doubt. The stock module would be better if you're treble sensitive. Or you could pre EQ it a bit and run it though the 3.5 input- or you could use the excellent ldac and use the eq to quell it a bit.

But no doubt in my mind the thx module is a bit brighter.

Cheers.

Also I never heard the Q5, so even the stock am3e might be a bit brighter on the Q5s.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,233 of 3,226
Yes the am3d is brighter no doubt. The stock module would be better if you're treble sensitive. Or you could pre EQ it a bit and run it though the 3.5 input- or you could use the excellent ldac and use the eq to quell it a bit.

But no doubt in my mind the thx module is a bit brighter.

Cheers.

Also I never heard the Q5, so even the stock am3e might be a bit brighter on the Q5s.

Ahhh :/ that's not reassuring, might have to mess with with EQ then.

Did you notice any improvement in the bass with the AM3D?

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,234 of 3,226
I find the bass boost did veil the sound abit.
Bass boost circuits have capacitors, give the bass boost a couple of hours of use and see if the sound improves. If not, then perhaps the bass boost circuit isn't very good, or your headphone just doesn't gel with it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,235 of 3,226
Ahhh :/ that's not reassuring, might have to mess with with EQ then.

Did you notice any improvement in the bass with the AM3D?

Yes, the bass is better controlled, it's got great extension- sub bass but it's leaner than the stock module. Or you could say more neutral or less boomy, or however you want to describe it. :)

The first thing I listened to was Hotel California, and the bass was amazing. It was the first thing that stood out. Very deep, and powerful but like I said very well controlled.

The bass on the stock module could be described as fuller, but in that particular song the thump was amazing. So I like the bass very much :)

Not night and day either, the am3e sounds very good also. With my gear I like the thx module more. With the Sony flagship I would say it would sound superb. Well as long as the treble doesn't bite too much, but the bass would be out of this world I would imagine. I'm using akt8ieii and it's amazing on them.

I'm even thinking of picking up a pair of WH1000XM3 again because I think the bass of the am3d would pair nicely. And the ldac sound so good.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,236 of 3,226
Mine is arriving either tomorrow or on Wednesday! So excited! :D

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #1,238 of 3,226
Are you going balanced out?
Oh yes, 4.4mm all the way. MSR7b are ready and I already received a balanced cable for my Tin T2s (Really nice one from NiceCHK on AliExpress, I didn't expect it to be SO good) and I'm waiting for a balanced cable for my 58x tomorrow or Wednesday too. Dis gon be gud.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,240 of 3,226
Oh yes, 4.4mm all the way. MSR7b are ready and I already received a balanced cable for my Tin T2s (Really nice one from NiceCHK on AliExpress, I didn't expect it to be SO good) and I'm waiting for a balanced cable for my 58x tomorrow or Wednesday too. Dis gon be gud.
Wich cable did you get from nicehck ?

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,241 of 3,226
Yes it will be :)
I know, especially coming from a Q1. As much as I love the MSR7b (and, of course, the original MSR7, although these don't have balanced), I'm most excited for the 58x. These things are finally gonna be able to sing. I mean, the Q1 has enough power to drive them loud, but not properly. I tried them on a NAD 3020e and oh boy did they open up. They even had good soundstage! Go figure!
Wich cable did you get from nicehck ?
This one
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001893396.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.55d879f3FbnJ9S
I just got it 'cause it was cheap, but it's on sale and getting a 4.4mm MMCX balanced 16 core cable for 11€ was a no brainer. I expected it to be meh. Turns out it's one of the nicest wires I've ever seen. What looks like pink in the pictures is actually more red or fuschia and it looks gorgeous, contrary to what I believed earlier. I actually like the looks and feel of it so much that I'm thinking of getting 2 more of these and reterminating them, one with A2DC connectors for the MSR7b and one with Sennheiser 2-pin connectors for the 58x.

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #1,245 of 3,226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back