[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Jul 26, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #454 of 3,226
I am always a little worried with the tracking through Ali express. I have a tracking number but when I check it says nothing exists. I recall with the AM3D, tracking showed it had still not entered the country, when I had in fact taken delivery. Also wonder if delivery will be longer as the Q5s having a battery may not be able to use flight delivery.

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #455 of 3,226
So have been reading this thread for a few weeks trying to decide which way to go with an upgrade to the BTR3/FA7 combination I have currently. Basically trying to choose between Q5S or M11. Great to read all the opinions and thank you! Decision is Q5S + balanced cable as soon as I can source from UK based supplier.

BTW I am in the electronics industry and the R & D costs and effort for this quality of global product is large. To succeed your product needs a headliner which satisfies 75% of the market and if you can provide options for the other 25% [the amp choices in this instance] who want something more then you’ve done really well. In this case they’ve managed to keep backwards/forwards compatibility as well, that’s not easy. As for Fiio’s bottom line think we probably all want them to be able to afford to develop more great products!

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #456 of 3,226
So have been reading this thread for a few weeks trying to decide which way to go with an upgrade to the BTR3/FA7 combination I have currently. Basically trying to choose between Q5S or M11. Great to read all the opinions and thank you! Decision is Q5S + balanced cable as soon as I can source from UK based supplier.

BTW I am in the electronics industry and the R & D costs and effort for this quality of global product is large. To succeed your product needs a headliner which satisfies 75% of the market and if you can provide options for the other 25% [the amp choices in this instance] who want something more then you’ve done really well. In this case they’ve managed to keep backwards/forwards compatibility as well, that’s not easy. As for Fiio’s bottom line think we probably all want them to be able to afford to develop more great products!

I have a BTR3 and it is good. Lacks a bit of power for some headphones/speakers but overall it's good. I am looking forward to having the option for other headphones when the Q5S arrives

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #458 of 3,226
After owning a Q5 for several weeks now (which I am enjoying), I won’t be getting the Q5s due to same ergonomics.. mainly volume control is on “wrong side” for having in a pocket. It’s hard to reach and can rotate and change volume unexpectedly. A more ideal layout for me would be volume and output on same (top) edge.. like Monoprice THX or Topping NX4 (except these don’t support BT).

Glad to see product is shipping - ergo updates for a "Q6", maybe? (Would have to drop/change AMP module.)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #459 of 3,226
Has anyone owned both the original Q5 and the Chord Mojo at the same time? If so, how would you compare them. I've been looking at the Q5s for quite a while at this point and am unsure if I want to lay down the money for the AM3D and the Q5s. I mean at the overall price of this package I could almost get the ifi Micro idsd BL. Which brings me to my other question of if the Q5s (with the AM3d amp) is of better value than the idsd BL. Obviously since no one has received theirs yet we can't have a great comparison, but making the assumption that it will sound at the level of the M11 (which I haven't had the chance of trying sadly) would you think that the Q5s is a good investment if you already own the Mojo or if you have the funds to fork over for the idsd BL. Thanks all!

I tested the two of them (Chord Mojo and Q5) together for some time. If I would start listening to the to the Chord Mojo my first reaction was always “smooth”, while with the Q5 it would be “accurate”. However, while trying to critically listen for a difference between the two.I could never find it. I’m pretty sure I would fail a level matched, double blind test, and my take away was, that I would be very happy with either. (Tidal, iPhone, Focal Elear, moderate listening levels)

Jul 26, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #461 of 3,226
Just took the Q5s plunge with Ali Express. In theory it has what I have wanted in a stackable DAC amp. And I slowly started having mainly 4.4 cable terminations months ago hoping more DAC amps would probably offer 4.4 terminations.

4.4 seems more robust than 2.5.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #462 of 3,226
Will there ever be a version of the Q5s that comes with the AM3D module as standard? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #463 of 3,226
I never actually measured it but just based on feeling it has decreased a lot recently (to maybe around five hours). I'll do some tests during the weekend and report back.
That's a shame. 5 hrs not nearly enough for me. I used to have Astell & Kern SR15 and I returned it for the exact same 5 hrs battery life.
I hope Q5s has bigger & better battery.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #464 of 3,226
I tested the two of them (Chord Mojo and Q5) together for some time. If I would start listening to the to the Chord Mojo my first reaction was always “smooth”, while with the Q5 it would be “accurate”. However, while trying to critically listen for a difference between the two.I could never find it. I’m pretty sure I would fail a level matched, double blind test, and my take away was, that I would be very happy with either. (Tidal, iPhone, Focal Elear, moderate listening levels)
Thank you for your input, I'll probably be going for the idsd BL in that case because I'm mainly just interested in features unless the audio quality is greatly increased on the q5s. I'll also mainly be using what I get as a portable desktop dac/amp so I think the idsd serves that purpose better with it's overall design. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back