[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Apr 26, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2,566 of 3,226
Advice I live by, listen to others input but never let someone talk you out of your decision!
As a NooB to the forum, (But a not new to Head-Fi, been reading and using for years) Honored to have helped a 1000+ posting member! Enjoy!

When you have a quoted output level of example 200mW on the device, is it when high gain is used or does it add more oophm to the stated power power?

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #2,567 of 3,226
I've just had a quick listen trying to volume match. My quick impression is it sounded a bit more vibrant - I am too lazy to sit here and try and pick out any specific differences in the frequencies, but I quite like it, I'll leave it on... until someone talks me out of it.
When you are operating any amplifier at higher gain, you also raise the noise floor closer to audible. How much of a difference depends on the amplifiers design, often it isn't really an issue. Saying that, if you are getting adequate volume from the lower gain setting, typically keeping the gain as low as needed to be effective is the way to go. I am not sure why beyond the increase in noise floor (which again may be very modest) the sound of the amplifier section would change at all. Ultimately the power flows through the same design circuitry so it is also possible that this is placebo effect in action.

Do you still play music at the same volume as you did before, as far as you can tell? The other thing to consider is that our brain is hard-wired to perceive louder as more engaging and dynamic, unless it is too loud of course. So often when people report things like this, even a small increase in playback volume will stimulate your hearing brain more and it is generally perceived as beneficial when the only thing that has changed is the amplitude of the signal your brain is working with. I guess it could be some design factor that causes the high gain to have more dynamics, but seems like an odd thing to do, but who knows, it might have been unintentional?

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #2,568 of 3,226
When you are operating any amplifier at higher gain, you also raise the noise floor closer to audible. How much of a difference depends on the amplifiers design, often it isn't really an issue. Saying that, if you are getting adequate volume from the lower gain setting, typically keeping the gain as low as needed to be effective is the way to go. I am not sure why beyond the increase in noise floor (which again may be very modest) the sound of the amplifier section would change at all. Ultimately the power flows through the same design circuitry so it is also possible that this is placebo effect in action.

Do you still play music at the same volume as you did before, as far as you can tell? The other thing to consider is that our brain is hard-wired to perceive louder as more engaging and dynamic, unless it is too loud of course. So often when people report things like this, even a small increase in playback volume will stimulate your hearing brain more and it is generally perceived as beneficial when the only thing that has changed is the amplitude of the signal your brain is working with. I guess it could be some design factor that causes the high gain to have more dynamics, but seems like an odd thing to do, but who knows, it might have been unintentional?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was waiting someone to make a logical explanation of the probable perceived difference in sound.
I haven't really spent any time other than a very quick listen, so I was just giving it a go for now. I understand the logic of high gain, also brain-louder-better, but as I mentioned, on the ZX300 thread quite a few people have chosen to use high gain as they have prefered the sound. I sometimes don't mind having my mind tricked, especially if it is a simple flick of a switch and doesn't cost a cent. As we are just coming out of a 5 week lockdown I have been mostly using the bluetooth mode to watch movies and haven't been using it for music.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #2,569 of 3,226

Makes sense in a way. Maybe in my use case so far using the k3. At normal gain i max all volume levels (k3 and tidal and windows). When switching to high gain i can move the volume down to 75% on my he400i.
So if basically the specs are given at no gain. The q5s should have ample headroom for my cans.
I'm not much into the hyper critical listening levels and detection of micro nuances. I do however like my sound to be well balanced with just a tad bit of extra bass (coming from a pair of 8inch studio monitors in untreated room emphasized bass).
For example i just cannot enjoy my he400i without sonarworks eq as they are bassless, muddied vocals. The eq makes them amazing for me but i lose 8db in safety headroom and i always have to use high gain on k3.
So far noise has not been an issue so i guess im safe with the q5s even at high gain if i want very very high volume.
Tbh i suffer from tinnitus and hyperacuisis. So I have to listen at normal volumes. I try to protect my hearing

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #2,570 of 3,226
I've been using balanced output with hd6xx so to me, no need to go for high gain as I perceive existing sound as good enough and if I were to use high gain, the battery might not last as long especially when I'm on balanced already.

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,574 of 3,226
Just received my Q5s today. Sound is great as expected. Using it together with a5 and hd600.It sounds clearer (more details) and more energetic than lgv40 dac with fiioa5. And i think that instrument separation is also better.I am very happy with the dac.
Have you tried tried without the A5? Does it do an ok job with the 300 ohms?

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,575 of 3,226
original post deleted

Thanks Sonic Defender, your explanation was clearer and more on target that what I initially posted, hence my deletion
I'm sorry that you deleted your post for several reasons. First, this has been your experience and you shared it with a genuine interest and desire to share. That is always worthwhile and I feel terrible that my post made you feel as if your experience had no value. That was not my intent. Second, I am so far from an expert and my opinion is no more or less valuable. Please continue to post and offer the community your unique experiences and voice. The more of us who share and talk the better we are as a community.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,577 of 3,226
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I was waiting someone to make a logical explanation of the probable perceived difference in sound.
I haven't really spent any time other than a very quick listen, so I was just giving it a go for now. I understand the logic of high gain, also brain-louder-better, but as I mentioned, on the ZX300 thread quite a few people have chosen to use high gain as they have prefered the sound. I sometimes don't mind having my mind tricked, especially if it is a simple flick of a switch and doesn't cost a cent. As we are just coming out of a 5 week lockdown I have been mostly using the bluetooth mode to watch movies and haven't been using it for music.
I don't take it the wrong way, there is nothing wrong with embracing a potential placebo effect. After all, it is a real effect so if the person enjoys the results and has no desire to challenge them what is the harm? My response was simply put out there as an offering for people to consider alternative ways of making sense of the situation. It wasn't intended to be prescriptive and certainly not authoritative. I am glad that people enjoy this wonderful hobby in different ways embracing different philosophies and goals. Things would be extremely dull if everybody simply did what everybody else did. variety is the spice of life they say.

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2,578 of 3,226
I'm sorry that you deleted your post for several reasons. First, this has been your experience and you shared it with a genuine interest and desire to share. That is always worthwhile and I feel terrible that my post made you feel as if your experience had no value. That was not my intent. Second, I am so far from an expert and my opinion is no more or less valuable. Please continue to post and offer the community your unique experiences and voice. The more of us who share and talk the better we are as a community.
Thanks Sonic Defender for the Kind Words!
Have followed many of your posts on the Q5 and here, and always enjoyed your info!
And NO,your post did NOT make me feel bad so please don't feel terrible. It just felt like my explanation was a little long and boring.
I Agree, we all can learn no matter our experience, for me I always like to say if I'm not learning I'm stagnating and dying....
Thanks Again!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,579 of 3,226
Thanks Sonic Defender for the Kind Words!
Have followed many of your posts on the Q5 and here, and always enjoyed your info!
And NO,your post did NOT make me feel bad so please don't feel terrible. It just felt like my explanation was a little long and boring.
I Agree, we all can learn no matter our experience, for me I always like to say if I'm not learning I'm stagnating and dying....
Thanks Again!
And thank you for your kind words. I couldn't agree more that without a commitment to learning, we are stagnating. I am also glad to hear that I did not offend you or make you feel unappreciated. I know that like many people I have my opinions, but I try to temper them and be respectful of those who may see things differently than I do. I have learned a great deal from people with way less post numbers than I have, but they have more knowledge than I do. Great to hear back from you and keep on posting!

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #2,580 of 3,226
I don't take it the wrong way, there is nothing wrong with embracing a potential placebo effect. After all, it is a real effect so if the person enjoys the results and has no desire to challenge them what is the harm? My response was simply put out there as an offering for people to consider alternative ways of making sense of the situation. It wasn't intended to be prescriptive and certainly not authoritative. I am glad that people enjoy this wonderful hobby in different ways embracing different philosophies and goals. Things would be extremely dull if everybody simply did what everybody else did. variety is the spice of life they say.
I really respect the way you word your posts, your mature, open minded approach is very welcome. There are some petty, unpleasant interactions that frequently go on on Headfi that are often pointless and spoil the enjoyment of the thread. Thank you for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back