[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Apr 27, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,581 of 3,226
I really respect the way you word your posts, your mature, open minded approach is very welcome. There are some petty, unpleasant interactions that frequently go on on Headfi that are often pointless and spoil the enjoyment of the thread. Thank you for your input.
Thanks. I do try to keep an open mind, and as an imperfect person, sometimes I slip up and lose sight of what is important, and that is people want to enjoy what it is they enjoy. Part of my issues around remaining consistent with my values and beliefs that people should enjoy things how they see fit is that I have some scientific training/background, and as such I have one foot in the objectivist camp, with the other foot solidly in the subjectivist camp. I don't always succeed at balancing things, but I do try and most importantly to me I want to treat others with respect no matter where I stand on an issue.

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,582 of 3,226
Hai boys and girls you guys still enjoying the Q5s? I’m using mine daily with the computer and my phone for music. I also love it to connect it to my tv, it boost the output power&quality so much :metal:

When I got the Q5s connected to my pc, I use a OTG cable for stopping it to charge all the time, works like a charm! Now on pc I’m using a Sony MDR 1AM2 which sounds great, but I also want to use my Sennheiser HD650’s.The Fiio Q5S on the normal 3.5mm its doesn’t have enough power to drive that thing. It’s sounds way to dull and “powerless” without much detail. So I was thinking maybe I should buy an Fiio K5 Pro.
What do you guys think?

I’ve always wanted to buy balanced cable for the Sennheisers, But I don’t have any experience on the balanced side of things. Does the Q5s have more/enough output power for the 650’s balanced or am I better of buying the K5 Pro?

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #2,583 of 3,226
Hai boys and girls you guys still enjoying the Q5s? I’m using mine daily with the computer and my phone for music. I also love it to connect it to my tv, it boost the output power&quality so much :metal:

When I got the Q5s connected to my pc, I use a OTG cable for stopping it to charge all the time, works like a charm! Now on pc I’m using a Sony MDR 1AM2 which sounds great, but I also want to use my Sennheiser HD650’s.The Fiio Q5S on the normal 3.5mm its doesn’t have enough power to drive that thing. It’s sounds way to dull and “powerless” without much detail. So I was thinking maybe I should buy an Fiio K5 Pro.
What do you guys think?

I’ve always wanted to buy balanced cable for the Sennheisers, But I don’t have any experience on the balanced side of things. Does the Q5s have more/enough output power for the 650’s balanced or am I better of buying the K5 Pro?

Do you have an example of the OTG cable that you use? I’m not overly happy that it constantly charges either so have been turning off that function via the Fiio control app on my phone before listening through the laptop but it would be easier to skip that step.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2,585 of 3,226
Dear friend,

1. If you are adjusting the equalizer for FiiO music app, the EQ is only in the app:
upload_2019-8-13_14-45-12.png

2. If you are adjusting the EQ of Q5s from FiiO music app-bluetooth device control-FiiO Q5s-equalizer, the EQ is system-wide when the Q5s is working as Bluetooth receiver.
upload_2019-8-13_14-48-42.png upload_2019-8-13_14-48-24.png

Best regards

hello.. i tried the device eq and it does not change anything.,, i tried both in LDAC and HWA (huawei mate 10). even the low pass filters have no effect to the sound.
please advise.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2,586 of 3,226

What do you guys think?

Get a balanced cable. More than enough power for me with balanced and high gain with my HD6XX

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #2,587 of 3,226
hello.. i tried the device eq and it does not change anything.,, i tried both in LDAC and HWA (huawei mate 10). even the low pass filters have no effect to the sound.
please advise.
It is known that Fiio bluetooth devices do not support eq over LDAC and LDHC. As for the digital filters the effects can supposedly be very subtle (true in my case). @rar133 i'm from Mauritius too. I was lucky to get my Q5s from OneOOne around a week before lockdown. I was looking forward to get the BTR5 but since they were not getting any on stock soon i settled for the Q5s. It's quite overkill for my use case and all my gears are low impedance. If understand right you did manage to order one in the last few days?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #2,588 of 3,226
Just as an option, for those who do want/require equalization, I use Onkyo HF Player which has a nice FIR equalizer and it does work regardless of the BT codec used. I have used it with AAC, Apt X/Apt X HD and LDAC. I can understand people preferring a system wide EQ, but if you are primarily using it for music, and you use one player primarily at least you know in that type of usage scenario that you can indeed use equalization.

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #2,589 of 3,226
It is known that Fiio bluetooth devices do not support eq over LDAC and LDHC. As for the digital filters the effects can supposedly be very subtle (true in my case). @rar133 i'm from Mauritius too. I was lucky to get my Q5s from OneOOne around a week before lockdown. I was looking forward to get the BTR5 but since they were not getting any on stock soon i settled for the Q5s. It's quite overkill for my use case and all my gears are low impedance. If understand right you did manage to order one in the last few days?
Ahh i know about you then. Ridwan was telling me someone just bought one 😂.
Yep just got delivered yesterday after a lot of debating with myself. Actually wanted to buy an ifi nano bl or e30 dac, but we might never get delivered. My atom amp and bayerdynamic stuck in SA and Germany respectively 😭.
So at least that is a decent filler.
I can live without the eq because primarily on PC and i use sonarworks, but on mobile I'll just switch to my IEMs as they are neutral enough.
We should meet one day man.

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #2,590 of 3,226
Just as an option, for those who do want/require equalization, I use Onkyo HF Player which has a nice FIR equalizer and it does work regardless of the BT codec used. I have used it with AAC, Apt X/Apt X HD and LDAC. I can understand people preferring a system wide EQ, but if you are primarily using it for music, and you use one player primarily at least you know in that type of usage scenario that you can indeed use equalization.
For convenience i primarily use tidal. Got over 100gigs of flacs on my pc but always too bloody lazy to copy or update to phone. Tidal actually helps me just search and add to playlist. From there it syncs on mobile.
Anyway eq would above all be for the hifiman. I'll just leave them at home and use my iEms for when I'm moving about.
Thanks mate

May 2, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #2,592 of 3,226
I got my Q5S connected to my pc via usb. But no matter what I play on my PC the light on my Q5S always remains blue (no green on DSD, or yellow on high res). Anyone else got that to? Am I missing some settings on pc or something?

Agreed. Better to use a balanced cable for the 6xx for which I'm also using with the Q5s but I'm using it with low gain. YMMV.

Got any tips on balanced cables? Here in the EU it sucks to get any balanced cables and needed to be imported. Also what connection type to you guys use? 4 pin XLR or directly 2.5mm?

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2,593 of 3,226
I got my Q5S connected to my pc via usb. But no matter what I play on my PC the light on my Q5S always remains blue (no green on DSD, or yellow on high res). Anyone else got that to? Am I missing some settings on pc or something?

Got any tips on balanced cables? Here in the EU it sucks to get any balanced cables and needed to be imported. Also what connection type to you guys use? 4 pin XLR or directly 2.5mm?

Are you using it in exclusive mode? If not, check the bitrate and depth settings in the Sound control panel for the device.

On another note - Does anyone know if the AM3D module has been discontinued? Seems to be out of stock everywhere online.

May 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #2,594 of 3,226

I did however manage to work out how to alter the sample rate by accessing the properties of the Q5s within the Sound Control Panel of the laptop. In the Advanced tab I could change the bit depth and sample rate, I just set it to it's maximum 32 bit 384000 Hz and everything on Amazon Music has now played at it's correct output.

1586240679490.png

May 2, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #2,595 of 3,226

Coming from using a ZX300 I have all my cables with 4.4mm - it's really up to you but I feel 4.4mm is a good solid connection as opposed to the tiny 2.5mm jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back