[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,011 of 3,226
Is it normal that there is a soft ground hiss that does not get louder or quieter when i change the volume. Its the same whit all iems or headphones. Bluetooth or wired. Am1 am3e and am3d

Depends on your headphones/IEM. My 4 ohm Wraith hiss really loud on AM3D even when playing music. On the AM3E, it's much less but can still hear it when music isn't playing. This is regardless of source (BT or DAC). The noise is from the amp modules. I suspect anything over 16 ohms should silent on AM3E. Not sure about AM3D.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,012 of 3,226
Thank god I don't have any interest in IEMs. I would really not enjoy all the matching issues and after reading many, many posts from IEM users over the years, matching issues are extremely common.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2,014 of 3,226
Why is FiIO firmware only available from shady back allies on the Internet?
*out of russia who joint here to post it and never postet on some other thread

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #2,015 of 3,226
Why is FiIO firmware only available from shady back allies on the Internet?

The official word from the Fiio rep on the thread is that the firmware update has not been released yet. Downloading any unofficial firmware package from unofficial sources is highly risky. When the official firmware is released and available on the Fiio website, I'm sure we will hear about it. If you look at all of the other Fiio official firmware announcements, it's very obvious on Headfi and their website. There is absolutely zero backdoor ways of getting official production firmware from Fiio.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #2,016 of 3,226
Seriously, why on earth would anybody take such a risk? What major problem is so dire that a firmware update just has to happen outside of the official channels? I think the Q5s is already a very stable (if imperfect) product.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #2,017 of 3,226
Depends on your headphones/IEM. My 4 ohm Wraith hiss really loud on AM3D even when playing music. On the AM3E, it's much less but can still hear it when music isn't playing. This is regardless of source (BT or DAC). The noise is from the amp modules. I suspect anything over 16 ohms should silent on AM3E. Not sure about AM3D.

I have a Valkyrie and have been looking for a BT dac, it's interesting to hear that the Q5S isn't completely silent, BTR3 is alright but tanks out at higher volume level, lots distortion and isn't completely hiss free. The only portable option that has a black background and no distortion, so far, has been the Apple dongle.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,018 of 3,226
I have a Valkyrie and have been looking for a BT dac, it's interesting to hear that the Q5S isn't completely silent, BTR3 is alright but tanks out at higher volume level, lots distortion and isn't completely hiss free. The only portable option that has a black background and no distortion, so far, has been the Apple dongle.

Per spec Valkyrie is less sensitive than Wraith but has lower input impedance so you will likely hear background hiss. However we are talking 3 or 4 ohm input impedance so not sure if any DAC or amp is going to be completely silent. My WM1z with Ultimate K-Mod is nearly silent, but there is "something" that I don't hear when I unplug.

Oct 11, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #2,019 of 3,226
Oh no! My DAC got hacked! You guys watch too much TV.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,020 of 3,226
Oh no! My DAC got hacked! You guys watch too much TV.

No, your PC got hacked when you downloaded the fw file and unpacked it. Or you bricked your DAC trying to update a corrupted bin file.

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #2,021 of 3,226
No, your PC got hacked when you downloaded the fw file and unpacked it. Or you bricked your DAC trying to update a corrupted bin file.
Quite right. However, the insinuation was because the provider of the unofficial firmware was from Russia, therefore....
If Fiio provide verifiable downloads of firmware (SHA/MD5 hash) that would be great. Oh, wait. They don't.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,023 of 3,226
If Fiio provide verifiable downloads of firmware (SHA/MD5 hash) that would be great. Oh, wait. They don't.

That is more of a practice of open source code which Fiio is not. Name one DAC or DAP vendor that allows open distribution of their firmware and provides hash values to confirm source. Stop picking on Fiio. Waiting until production release directly form their support website is secure enough.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,024 of 3,226
That is more of a practice of open source code which Fiio is not. Name one DAC or DAP vendor that allows open distribution of their firmware and provides hash values to confirm source. Stop picking on Fiio. Waiting until production release directly form their support website is secure enough.
I'm not picking on Fiio. Just showing that generally insecurity of distributed software is not a geographical problem.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,025 of 3,226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back