[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,876 of 3,226
It's a Shanling L2 cable apparently used for connecting Shanling DAP to Mojo, costs me appr US22

Hi. Yes if connect to mojo there won't be any issue as Mojo has a seperate charging port but not for our Q5S.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,877 of 3,226
Friends, if you are going into high quality audio area you don't need any equalizers/bass/treble buttons and so on... High quality audio gear does not need it and even does not have it in some cases.
If you need equalizer on Q5s then something in your audio chain is not good, probably headphones, speaker or something like this or you listen to really bad quality recorded music. You should concentrate on this, not equalizer.
Each equalizer destroyes quality.
This si also why for LDAC eq does not work. LDAC is meant for high quality (looseless if not hires) transmission and with eq it is not looseless.
Not talking about bass boost - this is really terrible thing. I would rather dedicate this switch to charge on/off. But I understand marketing reasons for bass boost.
Shortly - if you need eq then you probably don't need Q5s or need better headphones.

And if you still feel you need some eq then use players with good software eq (sometimes paid) like UAPP or other. Not primitive hw eq in Q5s.
By the way I also use eq but not for music - for playing low quality spoken word (some discussions) recorded really badly in 16/32kHz with 96kbit and many artefacts on my phone speaker. Without cutting completely above 8kHz it is unlistenable. But this is special case. Never for music.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #1,878 of 3,226
Can you guys and @FiiO check with Windows PC? - the auto standby function does not work for me when PC USB connected and no music is playing. This used to work with the Q5. With the Q5s the auto standby only works with Bluetooth.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,879 of 3,226
I think this behavior has sense and is correct how I understand it. It should save power - has sense with BT but when connected to PC it has power thru USB and unwanted feature would have effect that soundcard would disappear in Windows when Q5s would be used as a PC DAC.

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #1,880 of 3,226
Yes, but when I switch the charging OFF with PC, I still want it to enter stand-by when idle for too long... Like I said, this works with Q5, no music for 15 minutes - auto switch off.
On the product page it says it works with any input not just BT:
"With the automatic shutdown function, if there is no input source or there has been no music played through a connected input source after a set time (default 10 minutes), the Q5s will automatically turn itself off, further enhancing battery life and saving energy until when you really need it."

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,881 of 3,226
Auto standby works for me. Just make sure that there's NO sound coming from your PC for 10-15 minutes. Mute it, if needed. Any sound will cancel the auto standby, even notifications.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #1,882 of 3,226
I got the Q5s with the THX module and sound is pretty good. However, I'm hearing a decent amount of background hiss. Granted, I'm trying these with my new 4 ohm EE Wraith but compared to my other sources, it's the worse. I hear this both in wired and wireless modes. Is this consistent with what others are experiencing with sensitive IEMs?

Edit - using balanced out.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,883 of 3,226
Auto standby works for me. Just make sure that there's NO sound coming from your PC for 10-15 minutes. Mute it, if needed. Any sound will cancel the auto standby, even notifications.
Thanks for checking. I have Windows profile - "No Sounds" so it should turn itself off... What firmware do you have?

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,884 of 3,226
I got the Q5s with the THX module and sound is pretty good. However, I'm hearing a decent amount of background hiss. Granted, I'm trying these with my new 4 ohm EE Wraith but compared to my other sources, it's the worse. I hear this both in wired and wireless modes. Is this consistent with what others are experiencing with sensitive IEMs?
It's not hiss, it's your breathing... Just look at your avatar man, what the heck!? :p

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,885 of 3,226
Thanks for checking. I have Windows profile - "No Sounds" so it should turn itself off... What firmware do you have?

Windows 10 build 1903, pretty standard. No idea what's going on on your end, sorry. Maybe try reconfiguring the Q5s in the Fiio app? Just in case, you know.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,886 of 3,226
I just purchased one of these after my horrible experience with the ifi xDSD. Quick question is the Line Out also balanced? I was hoping to take balanced Line Out to my desktop preamp while at my desk.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,887 of 3,226
Windows 10 build 1903, pretty standard. No idea what's going on on your end, sorry. Maybe try reconfiguring the Q5s in the Fiio app? Just in case, you know.
No, what is the fw version of your Q5s, v0.37 or older? I tried different time settings in FiiO app.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,888 of 3,226
No, what is the fw version of your Q5s, v0.37 or older? I tried different time settings in FiiO app.
Ah. I installed the 0.37 firmware, but I think the behavior was the same with the stock one.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,889 of 3,226
Interesting. I swapped back to the AM3E and surprisingly the hissing is reduced to almost inaudible compared to AM3D. I'm guessing the slightly higher output impedance helps the AM3E.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #1,890 of 3,226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back