[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,591 of 3,226
Are you using ldac ?

Yes ldac, it sounds amazing especially with neutron. I can't detect any difference from usb. I could go on a long rant about clocking and the USB path verses data from the Qualcomm chip, all paths go through an fpg chip and clocking chips....

But just let me say this is a very good BT implementation. And if timing were off (and I suspect it's not) it would be cents at the most and probably .9 and less in pitch change which isn't detectable, unless you're one in a million.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #1,596 of 3,226
No mine is dead quiet, probably one of the cleanest outs I've heard.
Never mind, I figured it out. It was the Foo DSD asio driver I was using... It's not even needed. To run DSD512 with the Q5s. This sounds pretty good. Thanks.. But definitely a false alarm.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,597 of 3,226
Own set of headphones with 4.4mm jack. FiiO Q5s has input for 4.4mm jack. I read Benchmark Media Systems white paper on balanced headphone connection. My take away from their white paper is some perceive added distortion as pleasing. They say one benefit with balanced headphone connection on device running on battery power means more power output for driving headphones. This information nothing new to some here, but has me thinking, may not be worthwhile chasing portable dac/amp device with balanced 4.4mm input if single-ended input has less distortion. Been involved in audio a long time. Long enough to know people say all kinds of stuff not substantiated by controlled laboratory tests. Some opine "charts" and specs don't tell the whole story. I'm OK that some in our hobby have opinions that deviate from those of electrical engineers. It's not life and death, just a hobby.

The 4.4 balanced out is clean and wonderful sounding.
Own set of headphones with 4.4mm jack. FiiO Q5s has input for 4.4mm jack. I read Benchmark Media Systems white paper on balanced headphone connection. My take away from their white paper is some perceive added distortion as pleasing. They say one benefit with balanced headphone connection on device running on battery power means more power output for driving headphones. This information nothing new to some here, but has me thinking, may not be worthwhile chasing portable dac/amp device with balanced 4.4mm input if single-ended input has less distortion. Been involved in audio a long time. Long enough to know people say all kinds of stuff not substantiated by controlled laboratory tests. Some opine "charts" and specs don't tell the whole story. I'm OK that some in our hobby have opinions that deviate from those of electrical engineers. It's not life and death, just a hobby.

So you've read one white paper on balanced outs and you're afraid to try one because of that said paper, but you have a set of headphones with 4.4 jack, ok? And you don't take stock in 'charts' and specs- but one white paper is the gospel.

Why not just take your headphones to an audio place and try something with a 4.4 out of buy something on Amazon to try (easily returnable).

If you're asking us in a backwards way if the balanced out is worth it, well it sounds wonderful and clean and has a robust Jack. Everything I've tried lately has had 4.4 balanced and it's all sounded amazing.

Is it the 4.4 balanced out? Don't know, but I like it.

Hmmm.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,598 of 3,226
Yes ldac, it sounds amazing especially with neutron. I can't detect any difference from usb. I could go on a long rant about clocking and the USB path verses data from the Qualcomm chip, all paths go through an fpg chip and clocking chips....

But just let me say this is a very good BT implementation. And if timing were off (and I suspect it's not) it would be cents at the most and probably .9 and less in pitch change which isn't detectable, unless you're one in a million.
Yes but my bt eq in fiio app does not work in other apps the eq works but iam a streamer so iam screw

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,601 of 3,226
Own set of headphones with 4.4mm jack. FiiO Q5s has input for 4.4mm jack. I read Benchmark Media Systems white paper on balanced headphone connection. My take away from their white paper is some perceive added distortion as pleasing. They say one benefit with balanced headphone connection on device running on battery power means more power output for driving headphones. This information nothing new to some here, but has me thinking, may not be worthwhile chasing portable dac/amp device with balanced 4.4mm input if single-ended input has less distortion. Been involved in audio a long time. Long enough to know people say all kinds of stuff not substantiated by controlled laboratory tests. Then to remember reading Rob Watts (Chord) talking about why they do not use balanced connections on their Hugo 2. Some opine charts and specs don't tell the whole story. I'm OK that some in our hobby have opinions that deviate from those of electrical engineers. It's not life and death, just a hobby.
You are talking about levels of distortion that are 100% inaudible, so even if they can be measured, why worry, you can't hear those levels of distortion. You aren't really worried that you can hear distortion that is 0.0006% of the signal are you? Even if you quadruple that distortion (0.0024%) do you really feel it is audible? That is of course the THD figures published for the THX AAA AM3D module, so my apology for not using the AM3E 4.4 figures, but I am quite sure the principle holds.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #1,602 of 3,226
You are talking about levels of distortion that are 100% inaudible, so even if they can be measured, why worry, you can't hear those levels of distortion. You aren't really worried that you can hear distortion that is 0.0006% of the signal are you? Even if you quadruple that distortion (0.0024%) do you really feel it is audible? That is of course the THD figures published for the THX AAA AM3D module, so my apology for not using the AM3E 4.4 figures, but I am quite sure the principle holds.

Same way with timing/jitter, it's gotten so low, it's also inaudible. Just listen and enjoy the beautiful sound :)

I remember real hiss and distortion with cassettes and 8 track. The stuff is so clean and detailed today, it's crazy we can have that kind of quality in the palm of our hand. Plus the power, try running some open back senns on a 70's portable cassette player or an 80's era discman. Good luck Lol.

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,603 of 3,226
Same way with timing/jitter, it's gotten so low, it's also inaudible. Just listen and enjoy the beautiful sound :)

I remember real hiss and distortion with cassettes and 8 track. The stuff is so clean and detailed today, it's crazy we can have that kind of quality in the palm of our hand. Plus the power, try running some open back senns on a 70's portable cassette player or an 80's era discman. Good luck Lol.

Shouldn't it ultimately be about the music? We've come a long way. This is an awesome portable DAC/Amp especially with the AM3D Module.

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #1,605 of 3,226
Hopefully the next firmware update fixes the DSD512 issue. This Q5s is an amazing device. I'm truly impressed. Good Job @FiiO ! Numbers!!

Attachments

• 20190823_223413_HDR.jpg
    20190823_223413_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190823_223943_HDR.jpg
    20190823_223943_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back