[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Aug 23, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,576 of 3,226
I checked AK4493 datasheet.
This filters are function of DAC chip, not bluetooth or anything else. So it should work for all inputs.
1. But only for PCM and not for DSD.
2. my experience with such filters is, that changes are very subtle and can be heard only on good audio system.

I tried to switch filter several times but it is hard to hear any change because switching takes some time (disconnect, BT on, set it , BT off, connect USB, play) and I forget how it played before. In other dac it was much easier - button switch for filters.
But it looked like Sharp filter is a bit better. But I am not sure. I don't think it can be heard with BT input. Also you need very high quality track.
I would not care about it and let it to Sharp. It is taken as best by most people and also default in other dac what I know.
I can hear differences on es100 but not on q5s

Aug 23, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,577 of 3,226
I can hear differences on es100 but not on q5s
That probably is a bad sign for the ES100, you really shouldn't hear these differences as they are very, very, very subtle. Try some real blind listening, multiple trial tests. I would bet money that you can't tell the filters apart. When you know the filter you just changed to and a already have a description of what the filter does, surprise, surprise, we all suddenly can hear the differences.

Edit: I changed the post to indicate that it wasn't just you who is sure they hear differences in filters when they do sighted listening tests, most people do. Even I have thought I did, and then I go back and try again and I'm not sure that I hear anything as different. If the effects are so subtle that they are easy to miss, it is also reasonable to suggest that they are also easy to imagine.

Again, saying this as I said, there have been times that I thought I heard a difference, I just couldn't reliably detect a difference.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #1,578 of 3,226
@Cevisi @abitdeef
Equalizer in blutooth menu of Fiio application is function of bluetooth module ONLY. Systemwide function means when any BT device is connected to Q5s. It does not work on any other input (USB,optical,...). I am almost sure but I don have block diagram of Q5s to confirm this. I dont know what is between BT or other inputs and DAC.
This is the same with my BTR3. Here firmware update tool (BlueSuite) is from Qualcom and it updates BT chip firmware only. I am afraid that the same situation may be for Q5s - only BT fw update, not other - DSD problem :frowning2:. We will see.
Another info - in BTR3 equalizer does not work for LDAC and BT chip is the same in Q5s so I would expect the same. This is info from Fiio.

@dark09 I see that there is a special Fiio update tool so there is some hope for DSD.

@MarkF786 To say the trueth I play music DSD about 40%, hires PCM 50% and 10% CD quality. Spoken word (discussions or audiobooks thru BT). Everything with USB Audio Player Pro. I use FiioApp only to check that every thing is switched off - no equalizer, no charging no everything. Not for playing or anything else.

Yes I said this yonks ago, however with neutron the eq does does indeed work with ldac.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,579 of 3,226
So this is normal to cut off when battery is low.

Thanks

The bottom indicator light on the side blinks red before shutoff. Quick start guide and instructions are your friend:wink:

And no you can't EVER get a lion poly cell for the q1 or q5 , they were a super secret limited edition that was just made for those 2 amps.

I think my head is going to explode from the silliness here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.alibaba.com/amp/showroom/lithium-polymer-battery-pack-3800mah.html

This is just one company, there are others.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,580 of 3,226
I tried once more filters thru LDAC bluetooth and switching filters during playback of 16/44 CD, headphones AKG K701, relatively good one.
Tried both my devices BTR3 and Q5s - both the same, I could not hear the difference between filters.
Who knows, maybe it really doesnot work.

But I heard big difference between LDAC and USB on the same track. Heaven and hell. Why? USB input is well implemented. LDAC is looseless in this case (16/44) but it is not enough. Important is also for instance timing, how exactly is decoded signal sent to dac from timing view - jitter. Source implementation is always important. If you send signal to DAC from bad transport you cannot achieve best quality.
Switch to USB and you will stop caring about filters.

Yesterday I tried to connect it thru optical to my TV, compared to analog out cinch to my amplifier and Proac speakers. Immediately noticed recessed middles, voices were weaker. But I started to hear background sounds I almost could not hear thru analog out with TV internal DAC. So many detailed environment sounds I never heard and it was low quality TV audio. Try it, you will see. Very nice surprise for me.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,581 of 3,226
20190823_131234_tn.jpg Tin P1 arrived today. Am chuffed to bits. Honestly didn't expect this supreme sound. Q5s and Tin P1 on balanced is match made in heaven.
My portable kit is largely complete now.
Just waiting for AM3D.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,582 of 3,226
Correct, I can't connect to the Q5s with BT Control on an IOS iPhone XS. I've tried the steps below, along with several others recommended by FiiO support over the past 10 days. The Q5 works fine though. Yes, FiiO's support last response this morning was he was escalating the issue to engineering.

Maybe there aren't many other IOS users in this thread; when I've previously inquired, one other person confirmed they were having the same problem but I hadn't heard any other confirmations or denials.

Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback.

Can't you read the Q5s from FiiO music app-fiio control?
Please try to clear Q5s from Bluetooth pairing (Bluetooth state, while pressing the previous one + the next one), or reset Q5s (long press reset more than 5s) and then re-pair with the device.

We have also reported to the engineer for checking this problem.

Best regards

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,583 of 3,226
I have the same problem- am using iOS on my iPhone XS Max and can’t use BT Control in the app to my Q5s... it asks me to pair with my phone then shoots me back to the devices screen showing that the Q5s is disconnected. Looking forward to eventually being able to do a little EQ.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,584 of 3,226
Correct, I can't connect to the Q5s with BT Control on an IOS iPhone XS. I've tried the steps below, along with several others recommended by FiiO support over the past 10 days. The Q5 works fine though. Yes, FiiO's support last response this morning was he was escalating the issue to engineering.

Maybe there aren't many other IOS users in this thread; when I've previously inquired, one other person confirmed they were having the same problem but I hadn't heard any other confirmations or denials.

I just received my Q5s yesterday and connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone 8 Plus and it connected on the first try. I pressed and held the Bluetooth button for about 2 seconds till the blue light started flashing, then went to my iPhone’s Bluetooth screen and did a search for the new device, found Fiio Q5 and connected.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,585 of 3,226
I just received my Q5s yesterday and connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone 8 Plus and it connected on the first try. I pressed and held the Bluetooth button for about 2 seconds till the blue light started flashing, then went to my iPhone’s Bluetooth screen and did a search for the new device, found Fiio Q5 and connected.

It connects fine via Bluetooth for streaming music. It's the FiiO's app BT Control that doesn't work, for adjusting settings, checking battery level, etc. Have you tried that?

I've owned the Q5 for about 6 months and know darn well how to use the device :) There's not that much change when using the Q5s via bluetooth other than how you turn it on.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,586 of 3,226
It looks like solution/workaround for backcharging is:

1. Connect OTG cable to phone.
2. Swich on Q5s.
3. Connect the other OTG end of cable to Q5s.

In this case it takes no current from phone! I tried this several times and measured it.
Cable must be OTG on both sides (2 pins shorted, dont remeber which 2) like ML06. In case OTG is not on amp side, amp starts to charge from phone heavily (more then 500mA) and phone disables USB port temporarily until reconnected.

This solution is poosible to use also when Q5s is connected to PC if you dont want long overcharging or want to try run on batteries because of possible cleaner sound.

You must have standard USB-A end on PC side and OTG micro USB on amp side. First switch amp on, then connect OTG cable and amp is not charged.
If you first connect OTG cable and then switch on amp, then it takes 100mA from PC and there is no charging indikator.
When you connect standard USB-A to micro USB cable then normal charging starts.

Have a nice day to all of you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I new this USB measurement device will be nice to have :) Not cheap but useful.

Dude, it works nicely! Thank you very much!

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,587 of 3,226
It connects fine via Bluetooth for streaming music. It's the FiiO's app BT Control that doesn't work, for adjusting settings, checking battery level, etc. Have you tried that?

I've owned the Q5 for about 6 months and know darn well how to use the device :) There's not that much change when using the Q5s via bluetooth other than how you turn it on.

I see. I have not tried that path yet and I don't know what Fiio's app you are referring to. Can you send me the link or pointers how to to download and use this Fiio app? I can then try to see if it works for me. Thanks.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #1,588 of 3,226

I don't know about iOS but on android the regular eq on the fiio app itself works on BT and the eq on neutron works on BT for me. The fiio eq is pretty crappy though.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,590 of 3,226
I don't know about iOS but on android the regular eq on the fiio app itself works on BT and the eq on neutron works on BT for me. The fiio eq is pretty crappy though.
Are you using ldac ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back