[FiiO Q5s Type C ‖ Q5s] Bluetooth DSD-capable Amplifier,AK4493x2,768k/32bit
Oct 19, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #2,071 of 3,226
I would but I'm currently at work, if you are still having trouble by the time I get off I can upload the file for you directly.

When I download the firmware installer tool from FiiO’s linked website (the second link) onto a Windows 10 machine it downloads in a .rar format and Windows says it cannot open it, did you encounter this? Sorry, I don’t often use Windows.

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,072 of 3,226
When I download the firmware installer tool from FiiO’s linked website (the second link) onto a Windows 10 machine it downloads in a .rar format and Windows says it cannot open it, did you encounter this? Sorry, I don’t often use Windows.
Windows explorer can't open the file. 7-zip can't either. You need a specialized rar app it seems. Maybe WinRAR would work? I used a random RAR app from the Play Store on my phone and it got the job done.

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,073 of 3,226
I did it whit winrar nonproblems at all

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #2,074 of 3,226
You're the man. Appreciate it!

I haven't got it to work so far.

Not the sort of problem I'm having though. My problem is unpacking the .rar file for some reason. I know how to do the firmware upgrade (it's finnicky sometimes), but without the upgraded firmware file I can't do anything. Thanks anyway mate!

PS : Tried a third decompression app and it worked. Strange, this was the first time 7-zip failed me. Oh well, I upgraded, so there's that. Thank you both guys!

No problem glad you got it sorted!

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #2,075 of 3,226

Yeah you have to download a program to unpack the file. Either 7zip or winrar will work

Oct 19, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,076 of 3,226
I am deciding between the ifi xDsd and Q5s.

xDsd has only one, the singled ended output while Q5s has many outputs. Actually I am not a fan of this, I don't like multiple options because it causes dilemma and confusion.

With xDsd, I gonna use my headphone's stock 3.5mm cable and that's it. That's the best you can get from the device. But with Q5s, I will always think like "Better sound possible with 2.5m and 4.4mm outputs??" At some point I am going to have to buy new cables of my headphone (spend $$$) with these outputs.

Same thing with the alternative amp modules of the Q5s. I will be tempted (forced ?) to buy all of them and I will never ensure which one sounds the best.

I am shifting towards the xDsd because it is ready to use at its sole and full potential out of the box. I don't like tweaking my product.

Who else thinks like me?
I think like you. I have Q5s only because I was tempted by the THX amp module (which I still don't have). The balanced output sounds different, not necessarily better. It is true that I had to buy balanced cables for my IEMs and headphones but they were not expensive. Ultimately it's the best if you can try all options for yourself, and then decide.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #2,077 of 3,226
I am deciding between the ifi xDsd and Q5s.

xDsd has only one, the singled ended output while Q5s has many outputs. Actually I am not a fan of this, I don't like multiple options because it causes dilemma and confusion.

With xDsd, I gonna use my headphone's stock 3.5mm cable and that's it. That's the best you can get from the device. But with Q5s, I will always think like "Better sound possible with 2.5m and 4.4mm outputs??" At some point I am going to have to buy new cables of my headphone (spend $$$) with these outputs.

Same thing with the alternative amp modules of the Q5s. I will be tempted (forced ?) to buy all of them and I will never ensure which one sounds the best.

I am shifting towards the xDsd because it is ready to use at its sole and full potential out of the box. I don't like tweaking my product.

Who else thinks like me?

The xDSD headphone out is both 3.5mm balanced TRRS and unbalanced TRS so you have the same "problem". In fact it's worse because 3.5mm TRRS is the least common balanced plug compared to 2.5mm or 4.4mm. Per xDSD manual, best sound quality is balanced TRRS.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #2,078 of 3,226
@FiiO

I am not able to install, when I reconnect red light does not light up.
I followed the steps correctly what am I missing here?

"step 7. Disconnect the Q5s from the computer,then reconnect it(the same USB port). After that the Q5s will automatically install the firmware and the red indicator(the one infront of the ‘coax’ mark) will light up."

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,079 of 3,226
I'm using iOS. It could connect and play music, but when I press "Fiio BT Control", the Q5s was listed there, but as "disconnected" and when I pressed the icon I could not get to any of the settings.

BT Control on IOS has been broken ever since the Q5s was released. I went back & forth with their support on it for weeks without any fix. My older Q5 continues to work fine with BT Control.

I was just cursing FiiO about this last night since the battery on my Q5s unexpectedly died; without BT Control working, there's no easy way to even check the battery level.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #2,082 of 3,226
@FiiO

I am not able to install, when I reconnect red light does not light up.
I followed the steps correctly what am I missing here?

"step 7. Disconnect the Q5s from the computer,then reconnect it(the same USB port). After that the Q5s will automatically install the firmware and the red indicator(the one infront of the ‘coax’ mark) will light up."
Dear friend,

You could check again the firmware version after reconnecting the Q5s first. Is it 0.39 now?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 21, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,084 of 3,226
Firmware V0.39 appears to have broken the ability to turn the battery charge OFF in Bluetooth settings. The software switch is in the off position, but as soon as I connect the Q5s by otg micro B cable, or to my desktop the Q5s will draw a charge from either my phone or desktop. Yes I have tried the previous hack steps. @FiiO Is it possible to downgrade back to 0.37 without bricking the device?

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #2,085 of 3,226
Here we go again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back