FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jan 11, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,121 of 3,173
I think the newer amp modules are already screwed on to the arse end of their Q5s, therefore there are none available as an upgrade for owners of the Q5, X7 and X7ii. If it wasn't for the piss poor battery life, I'd switch to an iBasso DX220.
I use my q5 either on a desk or arm of a chair and use it with an anker 26800 mah powerbank to keep the q5 battery temperature quite low when in use.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #3,122 of 3,173
More by luck than design, I seem to have scored an AM3D - which I immediately stuck on my Q5 and connected via usb to my phone. Clicking through my 'recently played' files in the Fiio music app I noticed that there would be a stutter between tracks - when I clicked to play the next track the track I was listening to would go silent then continue to play for a split second then go silent for a split second then the next track would start. This is the case when using both the Fiio app on my rooted Mi Max 3 when connected via USB to the q5 as well as when using the Fiio app on the M11 through usb to the Q5. It's not the case when changing tracks on, say, the Neutron app on my phone and on the M11 when connected by USB to the Q5. I'm using the Fiio CL06 in all cases but changing the USB cable doesn't alter the issue. The Fiio player on the M11 and on my phone without the Q5 doesn't display the same behaviour, nor does the same action occur when using Bluetooth out of my phone to the Q5. Its also not specific to the AM3D (I was relived to find) because the same thing happens with the AM3A. Swapping between gapless and non-gapless doesn't affect it.

Any ideas anyone? I very much prefer the Fiio app over any other existing music app (in particular I find the Neutron app to be a constant headache) so I'd be very pleased to hear that there was a fix for this irritating little bug. Or is it a problem with my specific (and other than this, much loved) Q5? (The AM3D is superb by the way!)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #3,123 of 3,173
I primarily use my Q5 with AM3a to drive my Monolith M570 and Senn HD700 using the SE connection. On high gain both get plenty loud at about the 12:00 position. I'm considering getting a balanced cable if the balanced output actually provides better SQ over the SE. I read that certain balanced configurations can actually degrade sq.
Seeking input from Q5/am3a owners on their experience with the balanced output. Thanks

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #3,124 of 3,173
I primarily use my Q5 with AM3a to drive my Monolith M570 and Senn HD700 using the SE connection. On high gain both get plenty loud at about the 12:00 position. I'm considering getting a balanced cable if the balanced output actually provides better SQ over the SE. I read that certain balanced configurations can actually degrade sq.
Seeking input from Q5/am3a owners on their experience with the balanced output. Thanks
Before posting I completed a search for "balance output" and returned only one post. I since searched for "balance" and returned many posts so please ignore my request for input. Seems this has been thoroughly discussed and results vary from worse SQ to no change to much improved SQ...the ol' "results may vary" disclaimer.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #3,125 of 3,173
I'm considering getting a balanced cable if the balanced output actually provides better SQ over the SE.

It heavily depends on what ear or headphone is used. Balanced output usually provides as twice as more power (but not necessarily as Fiio X5-III delivers even less power through 2.5 balanced than through SE). However the most important is the balanced output helps to deliver more stable in terms of A and V current to drive.

Monolith M570 and Senn HD700

I am afraid these cans would require slightly more power than AM3A is able to deliver through 2.5 balanced out to drive.

So I would suggest to go for AM5 instead of recabling to 2.5mm or consider AM3B or AM3D along with recabling to 4.4mm Pentacon.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #3,126 of 3,173
Just watched BGGAR's review on the new flagship FiiO dap (M15). And one of his gripes was that at the time of the unbox, it didn't show an LED to discern the difference between file formats. (i.e: Mp3, Flac, Dsd, etc). Now i know the Q5 has a light-up DSD led, but does it display in anyway the other different formats? Am i missing something? Or do you just use your player of choice to inform you?..

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #3,127 of 3,173
So, reading between the lines, am i under the understanding that FiiO no longer manufactures the amp modules for the X7ii/Q5/ and Q5s, even though they have only just released the latter?
That's bonkers if true.. :frowning2:
I live in Sweden and the Am5 is available here, I could get you one and send it to you!

I’m still deciding wether to go for the Q5 or Q5s - both with the am5.
Do t know if the Q5s is worth it!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3,128 of 3,173
I live in Sweden and the Am5 is available here, I could get you one and send it to you!

I’m still deciding wether to go for the Q5 or Q5s - both with the am5.
Do t know if the Q5s is worth it!
That's so kind of you, and thank you very much, the offer is very much appreciated, but i actually managed to bag one from eBay used for £65. And i happy to say that it was mint.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #3,130 of 3,173
Great! Would love to find a deal like that myself! Got the module yet, if so, what do you think?

mans any opinion on the Q5/Q5s?
Personally, i LOVE my Q5. The AM3A amp is perfect for my iems, as i have them all on 2.5mm balanced cables. But im gonna get some over-ears in a couple of months (when funds allow, lol), and am still veering towards Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro's. So the AM5 was bought as a guarantee that I'll be able to drive those, or any other future high-ohm cans. I've tried it briefly with some IEM'S that I've still got on a 3.5mm connection, and I'm happy to report that it sounds just as good. It's impatiently sitting in the drawer waiting for my over ears to arrive...:-D

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3,131 of 3,173
Personally, i LOVE my Q5. The AM3A amp is perfect for my iems, as i have them all on 2.5mm balanced cables. But im gonna get some over-ears in a couple of months (when funds allow, lol), and am still veering towards Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro's. So the AM5 was bought as a guarantee that I'll be able to drive those, or any other future high-ohm cans. I've tried it briefly with some IEM'S that I've still got on a 3.5mm connection, and I'm happy to report that it sounds just as good. It's impatiently sitting in the drawer waiting for my over ears to arrive...:-D
I have the q5 and I am very pleased with it.

My complaint with fiio is that I have been trying since December 2018 (no typo error) for am3b or now the am3d for a balanced 4.4mm connection for my sony mdr 1am2 headphones.

Until fiio offers better customer service for their products, I am in no rush to add more of their products. I have currently 2 btrik's, fa1, fa7, fh5, and btr3.

My concern is not only product support but also their ability to handle a product malfunction. I do hope this concern is unwarranted and products with problems have been resolved for consumers and hope to hear from others with a successful outcome with fiio.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #3,132 of 3,173
So just to check, have they stopped making amp modules? If so that's ludicrous as the q5s is a new product

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,133 of 3,173
So just to check, have they stopped making amp modules? If so that's ludicrous as the q5s is a new product

If you were to read this quote as it comes across...
I have the original q5 and read much about the q5s and decided to stay with the q5.

Fiio's updating to other amp modules is a failure; I have been trying up date an amp module for 4.4mm balanced cable since December 2018 with no success.

Both the am3b and am3d have been back ordered.

The current price for the q5 might make it a good choice, but an updated amp module for it is an empty promise.
That would appear the case. I've not read anywhere, in the form of an official statement from FiiO, that it is definitively the case, but others seem to think so.

Would be nice if @FiiO could chip in and clarify

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,134 of 3,173
So far fiio has not addressed this issue. I have made a number of comments concerning this problem without a direct comment from fiio on this issue.

The q5s has the most advanced amp module with three output choice: balanced 2.5mm, 3.5mm, and balanced 4.4mm; the problem is for q5 owners.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3,135 of 3,173
One of the reasons I was attracted to and purchased the q5 was the ability to update amp modules without having to purchase an entire new product.

Fiio's inability to address this issue leaves me to conclude that fiio only wants consumers to purchase the q5s and not have the ability to upgrade the q5.

This is not what their previous marketing of the q5 indicated. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back