FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Dec 3, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #3,097 of 3,173
I recently got myself a Q5s and was wondering if anyone had created a simple desktop holder for it (or your Q5)? Ideally I want it flat as opposed to upright so I was thinking of a couple of U shaped things to keep it a couple of inches off the desk to also help keep it cool. I asked on the Q5s thread but so far only ended up with a suggestion of Blutack :thinking:

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3,098 of 3,173
I recently got myself a Q5s and was wondering if anyone had created a simple desktop holder for it (or your Q5)? Ideally I want it flat as opposed to upright so I was thinking of a couple of U shaped things to keep it a couple of inches off the desk to also help keep it cool. I asked on the Q5s thread but so far only ended up with a suggestion of Blutack :thinking:
I leave my Q5 lying flat on the table. It's in a FiiO leather case. I only use mine when I travel though, so a desktop holder is not really something I've given thought to (yet).

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #3,099 of 3,173
That case is nice, and I usually grab all the accessories I can but as I'm not going to carry it around and as it gets quite warm I figured I can do without it. I've looked at some nice mobile phone stands but they generally are 45 degree angled, I really want it flat but raised a couple of inches off the desk. I'll go to Daiso (Japanese cheap goods) and try to find something that fits my needs.

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #3,100 of 3,173
Hi! I am trying to figure out if Q5 will be able to drive Fostex t50rp / t60rp using balanced/unbalanced output. So far I am getting mixed signals from reddit and youtube reviews. Is anyone using Q5 with Fostex?

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,104 of 3,173
So I've had my Fiio Q5s since august and it just conked out today. I've tried holding the reset button down to 5 seconds like it advises one to do in the manual but that bred no fruit. I really enjoyed the product and drove my LCD-2s and LCD-Xs well but that's not really a testament to anything. I just enjoyed the use of LDAC over Bluetooth for use alongside my isine 20s. I think the TI MSP430 chip died in my unit or the firmware got ****ed because the battery is still providing nominal voltage alongside with power to every non-semiconductor controlled element on the board. This includes Butterworth LPF for power conditioning before the LDOs as well as other power points. There are test pads on the back but I don't have an oscilloscope handy atm so I couldn't do a comprehensive analysis. Regardless, it's still under warranty so should be good for warranty repair by fiio but shipping to china and back is a bitch. I gotta use my crappy dongle with my phone and it makes everything sound like ****ing garbage. Might as well wear some beats and blow my ears out with some bass boost.

Looking through the internal PCB layout I found the list of chips they used to control basically all elements of the sound delivery system other than the internal Amp architecture of the amp modules as I couldn't take that apart without some damage. If you guys would like some more images and breakdown of the layout I can provide some insight. For the price this device is a great deal but doesnt match higher end offerings which can be seen by the outsourcing of big segments of the player design being outsourced for off the shelf SoCs. A good example is the use of the NJW1151 for use of the volume control. I don't know the exacts of the volume control implementation but I am almost sure that it is a bit depth truncating system which is circumventing hte whole point of using an external device for volume control for the most part in a way. I would have expected some sort of analog based volume control but at this price point it's not possible so I understand the concession. Beats a pot any day and allows for some LPF filter adjustment on the output end of the DAC before the amp module final amplification.
@FiiO, I messaged your customer service department about support and possible replacement but I haven't heard from them. I have looked through your forums on your site and it was barren regarding issues with your product. This product is definitely buggy when it comes to the bluetooth connectivity on android but for the most part has performed admirably but the power off and power on ****ery is really bad and has almost bricked my deviced 3 times with this 4th time actually bricking it. You guys should have just allowed the device to be actually powered off when the volume wheel hits 0 instead of a soft power off. Especially when I have to cycle the device to make it work properly sometimes cuz it stops working.

Internal Pic:
81602670_1247192782143302_3136641786231914496_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #3,105 of 3,173
This above post must move to the appropriate thread which Q5s - This Q5 Thread.

So I've had my Fiio Q5s since august and it just conked out today. I've tried holding the reset button down to 5 seconds like it advises one to do in the manual but that bred no fruit. I really enjoyed the product and drove my LCD-2s and LCD-Xs well but that's not really a testament to anything. I just enjoyed the use of LDAC over Bluetooth for use alongside my isine 20s. I think the TI MSP430 chip died in my unit or the firmware got ****ed because the battery is still providing nominal voltage alongside with power to every non-semiconductor controlled element on the board. This includes Butterworth LPF for power conditioning before the LDOs as well as other power points. There are test pads on the back but I don't have an oscilloscope handy atm so I couldn't do a comprehensive analysis. Regardless, it's still under warranty so should be good for warranty repair by fiio but shipping to china and back is a bitch. I gotta use my crappy dongle with my phone and it makes everything sound like ****ing garbage. Might as well wear some beats and blow my ears out with some bass boost.

Looking through the internal PCB layout I found the list of chips they used to control basically all elements of the sound delivery system other than the internal Amp architecture of the amp modules as I couldn't take that apart without some damage. If you guys would like some more images and breakdown of the layout I can provide some insight. For the price this device is a great deal but doesnt match higher end offerings which can be seen by the outsourcing of big segments of the player design being outsourced for off the shelf SoCs. A good example is the use of the NJW1151 for use of the volume control. I don't know the exacts of the volume control implementation but I am almost sure that it is a bit depth truncating system which is circumventing hte whole point of using an external device for volume control for the most part in a way. I would have expected some sort of analog based volume control but at this price point it's not possible so I understand the concession. Beats a pot any day and allows for some LPF filter adjustment on the output end of the DAC before the amp module final amplification.
@FiiO, I messaged your customer service department about support and possible replacement but I haven't heard from them. I have looked through your forums on your site and it was barren regarding issues with your product. This product is definitely buggy when it comes to the bluetooth connectivity on android but for the most part has performed admirably but the power off and power on ****ery is really bad and has almost bricked my deviced 3 times with this 4th time actually bricking it. You guys should have just allowed the device to be actually powered off when the volume wheel hits 0 instead of a soft power off. Especially when I have to cycle the device to make it work properly sometimes cuz it stops working.

Internal Pic:
81602670_1247192782143302_3136641786231914496_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back