FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #2,551 of 3,173
I have seen the DK1 seems to be compatible, has anyone compared the Line Out on top of the Q5 Vs the Line Out on the DK1? Also, is it a true line out or is it affected by the volume control. I guess I will find out the answer to my the Q5 solo questions in the coming days, but I would also be very interested to hear your own experiences especially on the DK1 line out Vs Q5.
For anyone else who is interested. Line out on Q5 is not affected by volume control which is perfect for my needs.

However, the DK1 is not compatible with the Q5 contrary to what is written previously in this thread. Docking it will charge, but lightning to micro doesn't work, sound continues to play through iDevice. Hey ho returned the DK1 and bought a magnetic micro usb cable for charging convenience.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,553 of 3,173
Did anyone find a solution yet for the Firmware update under Windows 10? I'm having the DLL error issue.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2,554 of 3,173
Did anyone find a solution yet for the Firmware update under Windows 10? I'm having the DLL error issue.
The problem is that I tried two other PCs (Win7) and DLL errors.
Our FiiO man, who used to be here, does not answer. But I like this stuff anyway. AM3B is balanced with Valhalla itself. :)

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #2,555 of 3,173
Just ordered the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX and I'm eager to try it with my Q5... Couldn't wait until it arrives to ask you guys about this pairing :)
At medium 70dB listening levels, will the Q5 / AM3A be enough for it? Is SE enough on high gain, or balanced will be a must?
I'm worried mostly about if it will be well driven, effortless and proper on the impedance spike frequencies (bass region) because I read that this is problematic with amps that don't put enough voltage there.
So not worried about the overall loudness, but the evenness and proper driving of the entire frequency range / not struggling and becoming harsh/shouty.
What's your real-life experience with 300 Ohm Senns & Q5 vs decent desktop amps on medium volume / loudness?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #2,556 of 3,173
Just ordered the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX and I'm eager to try it with my Q5... Couldn't wait until it arrives to ask you guys about this pairing :)
At medium 70dB listening levels, will the Q5 / AM3A be enough for it? Is SE enough on high gain, or balanced will be a must?
I'm worried mostly about if it will be well driven, effortless and proper on the impedance spike frequencies (bass region) because I read that this is problematic with amps that don't put enough voltage there.
So not worried about the overall loudness, but the evenness and proper driving of the entire frequency range / not struggling and becoming harsh/shouty.
What's your real-life experience with 300 Ohm Senns & Q5 vs decent desktop amps on medium volume / loudness?

With the Sen HD660S it's a good one! balanced cable. Then I bought an HD650. That's the limit. That's why I bought an AM3B module (that is, with the compliant cable the existing balanced cables can be used with the 4.4-inch Pentacon out FiiO LL-4,4M) I have to say that the + 100mW is worth a lot (being stronger(in balanced) than the AM5!( in unbalanced ) Am3B 300ohm-70mW vs. Am5 300 ohm 55mW ((AM3A 300 ohm 63 mW )), HD650 (which is not only high impedance but also less sensitivity than the HD600) So there is a solution, beautiful music, .. but .. the cost of the development. I use this 8 core silver platted balanced cable. :)
https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/114157.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD6XX-HD580-HD600-HD650-HD660s-8-core-SP-OCC-braided-upgrade-cable/232948989720?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ps. In DsD, in 24 bit FLAC and in Tidal, the balanced cable for the AM3A is needed.
But much stronger and more dynamic is also balanced with the AM3B, if you only hear FLAC, then "maybe enough for the HD650 is AM3A .."
In total:
1, buy a balanced cable for HDXX (you will need it) :)
((The 8-core SP-OCC balanced cable(mavismodz) is heaven and earth, even when it comes to the standard HD660S 4,4 Pentaconn balanced cable, it is highly recommended))
2, if enough dynamics and rollers, etc. you still have to buy AM3B.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,557 of 3,173

You're gonna need the balanced cable. I use 6XX on Q5 and it works well balanced but not se.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #2,559 of 3,173
Thanks all! Will buy this balanced 2.5mm cable and stay with the AM3A module for now.
Or do you know of other affordable cable alternative to buy in Europe?

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #2,560 of 3,173
Thanks all! Will buy this balanced 2.5mm cable and stay with the AM3A module for now.
Or do you know of other affordable cable alternative to buy in Europe?
Unfortunately I did not find it cheaper either. Which arrives in 1 week. (which I have included only two of them already. ebay) Unless you want to buy a $ 200 tuning cable :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #2,561 of 3,173
Wouldn't something like this

6273964C-8BC0-4274-A819-39C90F5629DA.jpeg

Allow you to use existing 3.5mm cables but benefit from extra power from balanced out?

I have one on the way, I use my Q5 as line out primarily but in theory that should give the extra power to 3.5

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #2,562 of 3,173

Allow you to use existing 3.5mm cables but benefit from extra power from balanced out?

I have one on the way, I use my Q5 as line out primarily but in theory that should give the extra power to 3.5
I think it will not be good because the whole symmetric connection is different. :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #2,563 of 3,173
Or use a 32bit computer for try again. [/QUOTE said:
This is pretty ridiculous in 2018, not to mention that I already have to run a VM because I'm on a mac and there's no updater for that OS. So basically, I can't upgrade this device. Get your act together, Fiio:angry:

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,564 of 3,173

Yes, but I think it's not worth it, as long as you'll use the balanced port, better add $5 more for that cable I posted and have a true balanced connection, even if the extra benefits besides more power are only in theory :)
Plus the existing 3.5 jack + that adapter are bulkier and prone to damage.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2,565 of 3,173
I built a balanced cable for my LCD-2 over the weekend and I'm pretty impressed with what this little guy can do with the AM3A. I had bought it primarily for my IEMs and to use as an optical DAC out from the xbox into my Mobius via line out but with my priorities shifting of late and mobility is a bigger concern, I may retire my desktop amp in favour of the slight hit I take with the LCD-2 into the Q5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back