FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Sep 19, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,492 of 3,173
AM3B is quite warm I'd say, really really warm. Not overly smooth or lacking in anything, just some thick sweet warmth out there.

Now I don't have ZX300 ir XBA-Z5, but I did listen to HA2 for a prolonged period of time, and that one was quite bright, energetic, very textury, I think AM3B will be quite different from it. Should make excellent complementary signatures though

I would agree.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #2,493 of 3,173
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #2,495 of 3,173
AM3B is quite warm I'd say, really really warm. Not overly smooth or lacking in anything, just some thick sweet warmth out there.

Now I don't have ZX300 ir XBA-Z5, but I did listen to HA2 for a prolonged period of time, and that one was quite bright, energetic, very textury, I think AM3B will be quite different from it. Should make excellent complementary signatures though

I would agree.

Thanks for clarifying that - it hasn't been made obvious from all the reviews and posts I've read, it seems mostly described as neutral. Unfortunately the only store that sells it is not open on my day off and they don't stock the AM3B module, so I'm relying on other's opinions.
Are all the different modules meant to have roughly the same sound signature despite the characteristics of the balanced outputs, or are they designed to sound a bit different?

Sep 19, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #2,496 of 3,173
I installed the bluetooth driver on my laptop mentioned earlier, and connect with Q5 with aptX enabled.
Capture_q5.PNG

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #2,497 of 3,173
Thanks for clarifying that - it hasn't been made obvious from all the reviews and posts I've read, it seems mostly described as neutral. Unfortunately the only store that sells it is not open on my day off and they don't stock the AM3B module, so I'm relying on other's opinions.
Are all the different modules meant to have roughly the same sound signature despite the characteristics of the balanced outputs, or are they designed to sound a bit different?

All AMP modules change the sound in some way, if this is what you're asking.

Most of them are rather neutral though, just a touch on the warmer side, AM3B is the most warm and thicc of them all

You should read more Audiophile Heaven reviews, I think I insisted especially on how warm and thicc AM3B is throughout my review :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/05/fiio-q5-rule-them-all.html

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,499 of 3,173
Ok. I was using a zte axon mini 7 with a fiio a5 amp. It sounded pretty good with the internal hi fi dac but the phone died. The touch screen just stopped working. Cost more to repair than cost new lol.
So now I have a cheap lg aristo 2 plus. I actually like it better because it has a removable battery. I put my sd card in it and all my hi res is there. I use usb audio player pro.
Question is does anyone here use the aristo with fiio q5. I want to take the plunge lol

Ps. I realize the aristo 2 plus does not have aptx so I will stay hard wired to q5

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,500 of 3,173
All AMP modules change the sound in some way, if this is what you're asking.

Most of them are rather neutral though, just a touch on the warmer side, AM3B is the most warm and thicc of them all

You should read more Audiophile Heaven reviews, I think I insisted especially on how warm and thicc AM3B is throughout my review :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/05/fiio-q5-rule-them-all.html
Thanks for the link - great review, covers every aspect you need to know

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,501 of 3,173
Ok. I was using a zte axon mini 7 with a fiio a5 amp. It sounded pretty good with the internal hi fi dac but the phone died. The touch screen just stopped working. Cost more to repair than cost new lol.
So now I have a cheap lg aristo 2 plus. I actually like it better because it has a removable battery. I put my sd card in it and all my hi res is there. I use usb audio player pro.
Question is does anyone here use the aristo with fiio q5. I want to take the plunge lol

Ps. I realize the aristo 2 plus does not have aptx so I will stay hard wired to q5
Well, up until recently I was only able to use the Q5 with AAC and despite that, I thought that the Q5 sounded excellent so as long as the Aristo 2 Plus supports AAC you can still have a great Bluetooth experience. I have read comments from some people who suggest that AAC may be as good or even better than aptX, but I have no opinion one way or the other on that thought as I have never done any blind listening testing myself. The Q5 is a fantastic device so if you are looking for the type of functionality it provides it is an easy recommendation for me to make.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #2,502 of 3,173
I only have flac files. The aristo has bluetooth 4.2 which is sbc??
Anyways I don't care about the bluetooth. I want to play my hi res flac files wired thru usb using usb audio player pro. I know the q5 months ago had issues with some android phones.
I think all I need is an otg micro b to micro b cable??

Sep 20, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #2,503 of 3,173
Thanks for the link - great review, covers every aspect you need to know

Thank you :)

I try my best with my reviews :)

Anyways I don't care about the bluetooth. I want to play my hi res flac files wired thru usb using usb audio player pro. I know the q5 months ago had issues with some android phones.

So... I haven't had a single problem with Android phones. I find the Bluetooth really convenient and magical, but I tend to do the OTG route more often.

Yes, all you need is a compatible OTG cable, the phone should recognize and be able to use it directly.

I am not sure whether it works with all phones out there, it does work with everything I tested, but those were mostly Samsung and Xiaomi devices as far as smartphones go. It also works with Hiby R6 and FiiO X7mkii (although using X7mkii with it is a little redundant...)

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #2,504 of 3,173
The Q5 might still draw from the phone battery. I think you need a specific cable design such as FiiO offers and I think a few posts have suggested other companies also provide a cable that can solve the battery drain issue. I take it that you feel you can hear a difference from a Flac file played over a wired connection versus the same file played over a well done Bluetooth connection. Not my experience so I am personally extremely happy that the Q5 provides Bluetooth. Absolutely happy to say goodbye to cables. Can't wait until there are no more cables for anything in audio, but by then my hearing will be so bad. Sigh.

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2,505 of 3,173
The Q5 might still draw from the phone battery. I think you need a specific cable design such as FiiO offers and I think a few posts have suggested other companies also provide a cable that can solve the battery drain issue. I take it that you feel you can hear a difference from a Flac file played over a wired connection versus the same file played over a well done Bluetooth connection. Not my experience so I am personally extremely happy that the Q5 provides Bluetooth. Absolutely happy to say goodbye to cables. Can't wait until there are no more cables for anything in audio, but by then my hearing will be so bad. Sigh.

Yes. I am aware of the special cable needed. I wish my phone had aptx bluetooth. I will still give a listen with the standard bluetooth. I however do hear a difference between a 16/44 flac and 24/96 or 24/192 of the same album though this could be the remastering. I don't consider a 4 inch long otg cable a nuisance on a stacked setup and all my headphones are wired. Using bluetooth headphones defeats any reason to use a q5 anyways as the headphones have their own dac lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back