FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,506 of 3,173
Yes. I am aware of the special cable needed. I wish my phone had aptx bluetooth. I will still give a listen with the standard bluetooth. I however do hear a difference between a 16/44 flac and 24/96 or 24/192 of the same album though this could be the remastering. I don't consider a 4 inch long otg cable a nuisance on a stacked setup and all my headphones are wired. Using bluetooth headphones defeats any reason to use a q5 anyways as the headphones have their own dac lol
You wouldn't use a Bluetooth headphone with the Q5, it doesn't transmit. The Bluetooth capability is for the source, and yes, almost 100% any difference that was actually perceptible, would certainly be due to re-mastered albums almost always being louder. Louder is typically perceived as sounding better as long as the signal isn't clipped and distorted.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,507 of 3,173
I've read some opinions that the AM3B is warm sounding. For now I'm using the XBA-Z5 balanced out of my ZX300, is anyone able to please compare the ZX300 with the Q5 w/AM3B? On the occasions I'm at my desk I use an Oppo HA-2 but I'm attracted to the 4.4mm balanced output.
Hello, I am using ZX300 with Z5 in balanced connection (Kimber cable 4.4mm). The AM3B is not very very warm for me, just perfectly analog and musical. Fantastic level of details, actually better than the balanced output from the ZX300, which is really good and powerful, but with a tad less air. If like me you like Electronic, Jazz, Vocalists and OST, you have to try this AM3B module. I have goosebumps all the time listening to my music with that combo. My Sony MDR-Z1R also sounds superb through it, but Z5 is something special.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #2,508 of 3,173
Hello, I am using ZX300 with Z5 in balanced connection (Kimber cable 4.4mm). The AM3B is not very very warm for me, just perfectly analog and musical. Fantastic level of details, actually better than the balanced output from the ZX300, which is really good and powerful, but with a tad less air. If like me you like Electronic, Jazz, Vocalists and OST, you have to try this AM3B module. I have goosebumps all the time listening to my music with that combo. My Sony MDR-Z1R also sounds superb through it, but Z5 is something special.
Thank you. I really like the Z5 - great sound stage. I'm wanting to take them to another level with an amp/dac and the 4.4mm of the AM3B would make things simple. I'm reading comparisons with the iFi xDSD at the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #2,509 of 3,173
Thank you. I really like the Z5 - great sound stage. I'm wanting to take them to another level with an amp/dac and the 4.4mm of the AM3B would make things simple. I'm reading comparisons with the iFi xDSD at the moment.

iFi xDSD has no balanced output, just a 3.5mm if I am not mistaken... But maybe the SE output delivers better sound than the 4.4mm of the Q5, who knows? It would be ideal to try both before making your choice... I have blindly chosen the Q5, because I could have sold it if it haven't matched my expectations, but I am very happy with it. A keeper, definitely. Now, don't expect night and day differences with that kind of devices, changes are subtle in comparison with a good DAP like the ZX300, very subtle sometimes, but they exist anyway, at least for me with the Z5. Please let me know what gear you have purchased at the end...

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #2,510 of 3,173
iFi xDSD has no balanced output, just a 3.5mm if I am not mistaken... But maybe the SE output delivers better sound than the 4.4mm of the Q5, who knows? It would be ideal to try both before making your choice... I have blindly chosen the Q5, because I could have sold it if it haven't matched my expectations, but I am very happy with it. A keeper, definitely. Now, don't expect night and day differences with that kind of devices, changes are subtle in comparison with a good DAP like the ZX300, very subtle sometimes, but they exist anyway, at least for me with the Z5. Please let me know what gear you have purchased at the end...
As good as the ZX300 is I still find a nice improvement using my Oppo HA-2, so I'm sure I'll have a noticeable improvement whatever I decide on. Ultimately it's about the sound, but there are other factors that also need to be considered. I'll hopefully get to try the Q5 in there near future and hear it for myself, I just find it good to read people's opinions as it can help to keep an open mind - it is easy to get wowed by a new device/different sound only to later notice other aspects that might not suit your tastes.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #2,511 of 3,173
While reading up on the Q5 I came across a Japanese site that appeared to be selling the Q5 with the AM3B. Is this just their own compiled option or are there now options to purchase with your choice of module?

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,514 of 3,173
How much improvement in sound quality could I expect from the Q5 (or, for that matter from the iFi xDSD which I am also considering) over the Fiio Q1 Mk II, that I currently use if (1) I only use the portable amp out of the house with easy to drive IEMs (Campfire Lyra II, iBasso IT03, Sennheiser IE80) with 2.5mm balanced cables and (2) I don't intend to use the Bluetooth function (my 2018 Moto G6 doesn't have aptX, just base BT). I'm retired on a fixed income so it takes a few months to save up for major purchases and my decision is between a Q5 (or xDSD) in October or a full size headphone upgrade for my desktop rig (almost certainly MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open) in November or December. TBH, the IEMs, particularly the new Lyra IIs, sound great out of the Q1, which has plenty of power for them out of the balanced output; if the Q5 won't get a significant improvement, I'm inclined to go for the headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,515 of 3,173
How much improvement in sound quality could I expect from the Q5 (or, for that matter from the iFi xDSD which I am also considering) over the Fiio Q1 Mk II, that I currently use if (1) I only use the portable amp out of the house with easy to drive IEMs (Campfire Lyra II, iBasso IT03, Sennheiser IE80) with 2.5mm balanced cables and (2) I don't intend to use the Bluetooth function (my 2018 Moto G6 doesn't have aptX, just base BT). I'm retired on a fixed income so it takes a few months to save up for major purchases and my decision is between a Q5 (or xDSD) in October or a full size headphone upgrade for my desktop rig (almost certainly MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open) in November or December. TBH, the IEMs, particularly the new Lyra IIs, sound great out of the Q1, which has plenty of power for them out of the balanced output; if the Q5 won't get a significant improvement, I'm inclined to go for the headphones.
The headphones would be my choice, frankly. I can't imagine if the Q1 is already driving things well enough that you could notice any obvious sonic improvements.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,517 of 3,173
Hello. I was wondering if anyone is having issues updating/upgrading firmware on their Fiio Q5? I am running Windows 10 Pro. When I try and launch the system firmware upgrade tool package by double clicking "FiiODfu.exe" I get error message " The driver DLL required to access the device is not compatible with this application version ". Then when I move on to updating the Bluetooth firmware I get error message, " The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail ".

I tried this on 2 different computers, both running Win10 Pro and I get the same thing. Am I missing something here and can someone please help me resolve this issue? I sure would appreciate it.

Thanking you in advance

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back