FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #2,311 of 3,173
Just pick one cable to avoid that as said above. I can confirm the following work great with my g6 and q5 without battery issues:

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302647699981
I might, but truthfully I really don't need to use a cable as I find the Bluetooth sounds just as good. Can I ask you a question about your G6? I notice that in Developer Options no matter what, even with the Q5 my G6 always wants to connect and does as AAC, same with a Bluetooth headphone of mine, it always connects as AAC and it is definitely Apt x as I have connected the headphone to many devices and received the Apt x connectivity confirmation message. My brother was here with his Samsung A7 running Oreo and in developer options it showed that it connected via Apt x when again my G6 connects in AAC. I can switch the codec in developer options, but only when the connection is already active and it makes me wonder if the switch actually happens? If you have developer options enabled on your G6 can you check and see what codec it connects to the Q5 with by default?

My G6 is running Oreo. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,312 of 3,173
You probably know somebody who does though and the whole update process should take like 15 minutes.

Believe it or not, everyone I know has got a Mac.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #2,313 of 3,173
I might, but truthfully I really don't need to use a cable as I find the Bluetooth sounds just as good. Can I ask you a question about your G6? I notice that in Developer Options no matter what, even with the Q5 my G6 always wants to connect and does as AAC, same with a Bluetooth headphone of mine...

My G6 is running Oreo. Thanks.

I use mostly of the time via BT too, and noticed exactly the same. I reported it here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-module-with-x7.772186/page-148#post-14305560

I think it not only a G6 problem, since my Edifier S2000pro speakers connect as APT-X, even working too with AAC. I think Fiio can add an option on q5 fw to define what codec will be use as default when more than one are suported on both ends of connection. But i only suppose that it are possible.... I'm not know enought about BT to be sure.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,314 of 3,173
I use mostly of the time via BT too, and noticed exactly the same. I reported it here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-module-with-x7.772186/page-148#post-14305560

I think it not only a G6 problem, since my Edifier S2000pro speakers connect as APT-X, even working too with AAC. I think Fiio can add an option on q5 fw to define what codec will be use as default when more than one are suported on both ends of connection. But i only suppose that it are possible.... I'm not know enought about BT to be sure.
I think it is a G6 issue. My guess is that the Qualacomm chip used has trouble negotiating connections Apt x with older Qualacomm chips. My G6 had no problem connecting as Apt x HD with a Bluewave GET headphone amp and with a B&W PX. I'll bet the chip in the Samsung A7 is different than what is used in the G6. It would be nice if this was something that FiiO is able to fix with a firmware update or Bluetooth update. I'm going to see if I can find out what Qualacomm chip is used in the G6.

I'm also not entirely sure if it is just the Qualcomm chip involved or the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver used? I see on gsmarena that the G6 is listed as BT 4.2 with Apt x HD, but no mention of Apt x. I wonder if the Apt x HD is backwards compatible and supports normal Apt x bitrate connections which I'm sure it does. It would be nice if somebody from FiiO could at least tell us what they think is the issue.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,315 of 3,173
I think it is a G6 issue. My guess is that the Qualacomm chip used has trouble negotiating connections Apt x with older Qualacomm chips. My G6 had no problem connecting as Apt x HD with a Bluewave GET headphone amp and with a B&W PX. I'll bet the chip in the Samsung A7 is different than what is used in the G6. It would be nice if this was something that FiiO is able to fix with a firmware update or Bluetooth update. I'm going to see if I can find out what Qualacomm chip is used in the G6.

I'm also not entirely sure if it is just the Qualcomm chip involved or the Bluetooth transmitter/receiver used? I see on gsmarena that the G6 is listed as BT 4.2 with Apt x HD, but no mention of Apt x. I wonder if the Apt x HD is backwards compatible and supports normal Apt x bitrate connections which I'm sure it does. It would be nice if somebody from FiiO could at least tell us what they think is the issue.

Yeah, make absolute sense for me. I hope Fiio just look at this little issue, even to show us what really happen to not connect with apt-x as default. I don't notice any major diff from AAC to Apt-x, though... but will be nice if we can just select the best option for G6. Good luck for us :L3000:

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,316 of 3,173
Hi Bahamot,

:) I thought Q5 does all the calculations. In this case it's pretty acting as a Bluetooth amp only but then you connect it with otg it acts as a dac and amp? That would make sense.

Also, I pair it with V30 and Neutron.

Audio Hardware settings that only checked:
Audio focus
Direct usb driver
dop
follow source frequency
Hi everyone,

what is the changelog of the latest firmwares? I'm considering buying the Q5 but I can't upgrade it because I don't have a Windows machine.

Thanks.
I do find it odd that a device primarily aimed at iOS devices requires Windows to update.

I really would like Fiio to include changelogs with the updates, especially if there's any sort of feature change.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,318 of 3,173
Hi everyone,

what is the changelog of the latest firmwares? I'm considering buying the Q5 but I can't upgrade it because I don't have a Windows machine.

Thanks.
The improvement in 0.52:

1. Fixed the issue where the "Sharp Roll-Off Filter" and the "Short delay Sharp Roll-Off Filter" settings were reversed;
2. Fixed the issue where the device would not charge when the Side USB port was set as data port.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 2, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #2,319 of 3,173
Guys, can you clear me some thoughts about this?

Leaving accessories, extras and all the bells and whistles aside, just talking about SQ, how much improvement is a Q5 over a Q1 MK2? I plan to use it just with a FH5 for now. I dont think driving big ones.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,320 of 3,173
Guys, can you clear me some thoughts about this?

Leaving accessories, extras and all the bells and whistles aside, just talking about SQ, how much improvement is a Q5 over a Q1 MK2? I plan to use it just with a FH5 for now. I dont think driving big ones.

Thanks!
Always, IMO, get the device with the better forward compatibility/features as you don't know what you may want a year from now. That only matters if you can afford the difference in price easily. If the price differential isn't an issue for you, seriously, get the Q5 it is pretty darn nice.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,321 of 3,173
Always, IMO, get the device with the better forward compatibility/features as you don't know what you may want a year from now. That only matters if you can afford the difference in price easily. If the price differential isn't an issue for you, seriously, get the Q5 it is pretty darn nice.

Thanks really much !

Running low with cash, but I got the Q1 and was thinking about returning and getting the Q5 if theres a significant SQ difference.
Two things that I like and I dont about the Q5: You can use it and charge at the same time when using it in mobile devices / Connectors are not gold plated.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #2,322 of 3,173
Thanks really much !

Running low with cash, but I got the Q1 and was thinking about returning and getting the Q5 if theres a significant SQ difference.
Two things that I like and I dont about the Q5: You can use it and charge at the same time when using it in mobile devices / Connectors are not gold plated.
Can't say the connectors really worries me, so I can't offer good feedback on whether or not that is a significant issue. One thing that I have learned over the years, and many other very experienced head-fi members have also experienced is the expensive price of purchasing something and then realizing that you really wanted the device up from it. You then sell your original device at a loss and end up getting the other device anyway. Sometimes that is fine, and I'm not an advocate of the more expensive device is always better. Just be sure that the features you purchase really do satisfy your current needs well, and ideally leave you some flexibility if your needs change. What happens if you decide that you want to drive more demanding headphones than you do now? Would the ability to roll amplifier modules then feel like a good investment? Only you can know the answer, don't overspend, but sometimes under-spending is just as bad and possibly worse. Good luck however you decide to go and let us know what your decision is and what you think of it. Cheers.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,323 of 3,173
Can't say the connectors really worries me, so I can't offer good feedback on whether or not that is a significant issue. One thing that I have learned over the years, and many other very experienced head-fi members have also experienced is the expensive price of purchasing something and then realizing that you really wanted the device up from it. You then sell your original device at a loss and end up getting the other device anyway. Sometimes that is fine, and I'm not an advocate of the more expensive device is always better. Just be sure that the features you purchase really do satisfy your current needs well, and ideally leave you some flexibility if your needs change. What happens if you decide that you want to drive more demanding headphones than you do now? Would the ability to roll amplifier modules then feel like a good investment? Only you can know the answer, don't overspend, but sometimes under-spending is just as bad and possibly worse. Good luck however you decide to go and let us know what your decision is and what you think of it. Cheers.

Thanks so much for such complete answer.
My dislike about the Q5 was merely subjective, but now that you say it even I think it matches the cold/aluminum aesthetic being not gold plated.

I’ll try tomorrow the FH5 when they arrive and I’ll take a desicion over the weekend.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,324 of 3,173
Thanks really much !

I needed something portable and picked up the q1 MK2. Couple weeks later I bought the Q5 for the Bluetooth functionality primarily. I found that at moderate volume the Q5 is noticeably more articulate across the spectrum. The bass boost also feels a touch more refined or organic if that makes sense, with the Q5. I am using the 4.4mm am3b amp module now, and found little difference in performance between that and the 2.5mm am3a balanced out.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #2,325 of 3,173
DAC:AK4490EN×2

There are two USB interfaces. You don't have to connect all to use it,
Q5 Working current is about 370mAh, When the USB interface is plugged into the computer can be charged at the same time. Computer USB interface power supply is not stable, some current smaller, while others can reach 1A.

Few more practical tips:
  • DSD via DoP only works for USB input.
  • In order to play and charge, you need a charger capable of 2A or more. I tried 1A and the Q5 could not charge faster than consuming.
Other than the charging issues noted for iOS and Android I haven't come across any other problems.

I dont understand this, some people says that will drain while playing and others dont.
Most of the time ill be playing DSD 2.8 / 5.6 and FLAC 24/192.

Currently my port using a USB 2.0 device will charge between 511mAh - 968mAh depending on the usage (Those results corresponds to an iPad 9.7 at 100% Brightness and 20% respectively).
Will this be enough or im gonna be using the battery?

To round up I'm still wondering if the Q5 will match my FH5 and about the SQ still dont have a clue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back