FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jul 29, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #2,297 of 3,173
Dear friend,

The Bluetooth chip of the BTR3 is not the same one as Q5. It is CSR8675 instead. :)

Best regards
Yes, I understood that part. :ksc75smile:

My question is: Will there be an updated version of the Q5 in the future, which also uses the CSR8675, so it can offer the same range of high quality codecs like the "small" BTR3? The Q5 is a flagship, compared to the BTR3, so it's a bit of a shame that the BTR3 has better Bluetooth Audio than the much more expensive and generally much better DAC/Amp Q5. And if there was an improved "V2" of the Q5, there are other little details that could be improved, like changing the ports from micro-USB to the modern USB-C... Stuff like that.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #2,298 of 3,173
I bought one of these and it's doesn't prevent reverse charging with my Galaxy S9.
Dear friend,

You could see the white pulsar light pulsing when the Q5 working as DAC with your phone using the ML06?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #2,299 of 3,173
There is also USB-B to B from FiiO named ML06 which should prevent reverse charging.

HTH

Cool thanks! I will try that cable.
So did you observe that your S7 battery is not drained by the DAC?
Amp meter app (I use both Ampere and 3C Battery Monitor Pro) can show if the battery discharged is increased or not. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #2,301 of 3,173
Guys, I got back to Fiio and I'm so glad I'm back with you! Really, Fiio is becoming one of my favorite Chinese company out there and wish they have a big future. Personally for me this device is the best on the market as price/quality/options.

Quick question, if Q5 supports aptX but aptX HD, so, is down sampling everything higher to 16/44.1 over Bluetooth, right? Even when you play dsd it converts it to pcm?
Also, is there a way to see what is current sample rate on output. You know, like in Mojo you can recognize it by color. I understand that colors here are only for input identification but only dsd has it's dedicated light.

Fiio, nice job here!

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,302 of 3,173
Guys, I got back to Fiio and I'm so glad I'm back with you! Really, Fiio is becoming one of my favorite Chinese company out there and wish they have a big future. Personally for me this device is the best on the market as price/quality/options.

Quick question, if Q5 supports aptX but aptX HD, so, is down sampling everything higher to 16/44.1 over Bluetooth, right? Even when you play dsd it converts it to pcm?
Also, is there a way to see what is current sample rate on output. You know, like in Mojo you can recognize it by color. I understand that colors here are only for input identification but only dsd has it's dedicated light.

Fiio, nice job here!
Since Q5 is only BT receiver, it's the player that does all the downsample when playing via BT.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2,303 of 3,173
Hi Bahamot,

:) I thought Q5 does all the calculations. In this case it's pretty acting as a Bluetooth amp only but then you connect it with otg it acts as a dac and amp? That would make sense.

Also, I pair it with V30 and Neutron.

Audio Hardware settings that only checked:
Audio focus
Direct usb driver
dop
follow source frequency

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2,304 of 3,173
So if you are connected to your phone via USB and the white connection light isn't flashing that means that power is being drawn from the phone? I can see from my G6 pull down notifications that USB is in Power Supply mode, and while there are options to change, none of them work. I can change the setting, but once Onkyo HF Player starts again, the setting change wasn't saved and the Power Supply mode is back selected under the USB Connection for menu. The available choices are:
Charging
Just charge this phone

Power supply (always selected)
Charge the connected device

File transfer
Transfer documents and media files to the connected device

Photo transfer

MIDI Device
Record and listen to music from the connected device

Regardless, only the Power supply seems to ever be selected and work

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #2,305 of 3,173
Regardless of the current phone battery drain issue, I love the Q5. Damn does this thing sound nice, plus I can just use Bluetooth if I want to avoid the vampire battery drain scenario.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #2,306 of 3,173
Regardless of the current phone battery drain issue, I love the Q5. Damn does this thing sound nice, plus I can just use Bluetooth if I want to avoid the vampire battery drain scenario.
You need to use USB to go cable that has different pin connection to prevent the charging. AFAIK, FiiO is selling that kind of OTG cable.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,307 of 3,173

Just pick one cable to avoid that as said above. I can confirm the following work great with my g6 and q5 without battery issues:

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302647699981

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #2,308 of 3,173
Just ordered one of these to get something more powerful than my ES100 for portable use around house/office. Can’t wait!

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,309 of 3,173
Hi everyone,

what is the changelog of the latest firmwares? I'm considering buying the Q5 but I can't upgrade it because I don't have a Windows machine.

Thanks.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #2,310 of 3,173
Hi everyone,

what is the changelog of the latest firmwares? I'm considering buying the Q5 but I can't upgrade it because I don't have a Windows machine.

Thanks.
You probably know somebody who does though and the whole update process should take like 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back