FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
May 7, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,951 of 3,173
Another issue I've noticed with the Q5:

-I leave the Q5 plugged into my Mac's USB port all day even when the computer is off.
-I start up the computer.
-The computer recognizes that the Q5 is plugged in.
-I turn the Q5 on.
-I play a song and the song won't play and there is no sound.
-I either have to unplug the Q5 and plug it back in or shut it off and turn it on again to get the music to play.

Anyone else have this problem?

I really want to like this thing, but it's giving me quite the headache...
I guess that your Mac needs to recognize it as "default" sound device.
You may want to check if you Mac's preference.

May 7, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,952 of 3,173
I guess that your Mac needs to recognize it as "default" sound device.
You may want to check if you Mac's preference.

But that's the thing. It is recognizing it as the default; the Q5 just isn't "activating". When I unplug it, the music immediately starts playing through the on-board speakers, meaning it was trying to play through the Q5 earlier but the Q5 wasn't responding.

May 7, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,953 of 3,173
My review on FiiO Q5 is live now!

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2018/05/fiio-q5-rule-them-all.html

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...able-dac-amplifier.22846/reviews#review-20281

I invite you to read more about this lovely device and why I find it to be so amazing :)

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_16.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_33.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_11.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_22.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_14.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_15.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_21.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_29.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_31.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_32.jpg

Audiophile_Heaven_FiiO_Q5_Review_Official_Photo_18.jpg

Good review, but one question. I have not heard X7, but it uses ESS9028pro DAC. Q5 uses 2xAK4490. I believe there should be some sonic difference between two as they use different DAC chips. I don't know which one would be better than the other though.

May 7, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,954 of 3,173
But that's the thing. It is recognizing it as the default; the Q5 just isn't "activating". When I unplug it, the music immediately starts playing through the on-board speakers, meaning it was trying to play through the Q5 earlier but the Q5 wasn't responding.

My mac pro retina 15' (2015) works fine with it. If you can, I suggest you to use the optical output via toslink, though the newest mac doesn't support it.

May 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,955 of 3,173
My mac pro retina 15' (2015) works fine with it. If you can, I suggest you to use the optical output via toslink, though the newest mac doesn't support it.

And I have the newest Mac. Isn't that great? lol

Maybe I'll get a Schiit Eitr...I would rather use Coax/Optical. I know people often say it sounds better.

May 7, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,958 of 3,173
And I have the newest Mac. Isn't that great? lol

Maybe I'll get a Schiit Eitr...I would rather use Coax/Optical. I know people often say it sounds better.

Go with bluetooth. Your Mac has Aptx and anything you stream on your Mac will be just as good as wired. Try it and I bet you can't hear a difference.

May 7, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,960 of 3,173
Got the Q5 a few days ago. Really impressed with the sound so far. Unfortunately, I can't get it to properly work over USB with my Galaxy S7, Hidizs AP60, or Shanling M2s as it's constantly trying to charge the battery when connected to those devices .And yes, I did attempt to change the charging function via the Fiio app on an iOS device, but no luck. Connected to an iOS device has been pretty much flawless so far.

May 7, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,961 of 3,173
Another issue I've noticed with the Q5:

-I leave the Q5 plugged into my Mac's USB port all day even when the computer is off.
-I start up the computer.
-The computer recognizes that the Q5 is plugged in.
-I turn the Q5 on.
-I play a song and the song won't play and there is no sound.
-I either have to unplug the Q5 and plug it back in or shut it off and turn it on again to get the music to play.

Anyone else have this problem?

I really want to like this thing, but it's giving me quite the headache...

I experienced this once or twice, but wasn't able to reproduce it properly or detect what caused it, so I think it was the fault of my computer having lots of drivers and lots of stuff going on. I didn't notice it every single time, and it usually worked right, so I think I did something different when that happened. So we know it is also fixable :)

Good review, but one question. I have not heard X7, but it uses ESS9028pro DAC. Q5 uses 2xAK4490. I believe there should be some sonic difference between two as they use different DAC chips. I don't know which one would be better than the other though.

They use different DACs, and they should sound different, but the differences in the final sound are so small that they won't be quite that important. I mean, double blind testing, volume matched properly, if they are using the same AMP module, the sound is too similar to properly say where the difference is coming from, since you are using a USB cable there, you are using a different source, etc.

I just advice to treat them as the same sonic performance when using the same AMP module, given the difference in device type, go with what suits your needs better :)

Q5 is not a DAP, it needs transport, it needs stacking, whwere X7mkii is a TOTL DAP :)

But sonically, they are really close :)

May 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,962 of 3,173
Got the Q5 a few days ago. Really impressed with the sound so far. Unfortunately, I can't get it to properly work over USB with my Galaxy S7, Hidizs AP60, or Shanling M2s as it's constantly trying to charge the battery when connected to those devices .And yes, I did attempt to change the charging function via the Fiio app on an iOS device, but no luck. Connected to an iOS device has been pretty much flawless so far.[/QUOTE

https://m.ebay.com/itm/10cm-Left-An...t-both-ends-for-OPPO-HA-2SE-DAC-/292052970340

May 8, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,964 of 3,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back