FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
May 5, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #1,936 of 3,173
Actually, I agree that the optical input is far superior than the usb input. The optical input is cleaner, transparent, and more linear.

How can it be? Both optical and USB are digital inputs to the DAC. they are feeding a digital signal (a series of 1's and 0's) to the DAC where they are decoded to analog. They go through same DAC and same amp. So how can one sound different? Did you volume match when comparing?

May 5, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,937 of 3,173
How can it be? Both optical and USB are digital inputs to the DAC. they are feeding a digital signal (a series of 1's and 0's) to the DAC where they are decoded to analog. They go through same DAC and same amp. So how can one sound different? Did you volume match when comparing?

Honestly, I don't know about technical details, though some people have talked about USB galvanic things. I have yet to pay some attention to technical details when I have time.

Honestly, I might not be able to pass A/B tests. But I use headphones quite heavily, perhaps more than 5-6 hours per day. After a long listening session, I found my satisfaction and immersion with music went to another level.

EDIT: But I use Q5 with the desktop amp MCTH. So the case might be a bit different.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #1,938 of 3,173
I use tweaked cheapo dacs to some better stuff. Old and new. The Q5 sounds as good to me as the Sony pha-3, which sounds really really analog. And that is what we want, isn't.

To me the supplied apple cable sounds like crap to my ears. Using a regular well shielded usb cable made the difference for me.

I will rant a bit:

So I can understand when it is said that USB sounds "dull" to some It is due to it sounding natural and doesn't have the old school digital "harshness" that the younger crowd has crown up with. To them that sounds "normal".
Anyways, to me I'll say this again. The DSD conversion that is happening inside ak dac, is where the Q5 shines. And using the line out is where the magic is heard in my system. Use Jriver to convert any CD that you have listened too over a 100 times and convert it to DSF. No special effects. And have a listen again through to the same familiar songs, this time using the Q5 to decode the DSF. You will hear a difference. And if you don't, well what can I say without being rude.

Now using the 3 amp modules that I have, they each bring a sound signature of their own. They all sound different vs what comes out of the Line-out. I don't need to sound match any of them,to tell that they sound different. They all have different hardware and run at different voltages. Of course they will sound different, due to so many variables. Every selected component that makes up your electronic device has a tolerance of some sort and changes with temperature. And this called Distortion. You just have to design the product where the distortion is beyond human hearing.

There are some that like that "reference" sound. Others like that boring "flat" sound. Some like to the analytical setup to pick out every little detail out of a song, while at the same time not actually enjoying the music. Others like their stuff to sound musical and with those systems you can jam out for hours on end. Not the others. So classify yourself first and see where you fit in. Buy the products based on how you like to listen to stuff.
I like my setup to do all of the above and that is why I use all kind of hardware and software to get me there. New Dacs are at the stage where they all sound good now. You just have to pick on the one that has been well implemented and that fits your style of listening. The Q5 is up there with it's sound quality. You can spend plenty more, just to hear a micro difference that you will forget within the first minute of listening.

May 5, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #1,939 of 3,173
Honestly, I don't know about technical details, though some people have talked about USB galvanic things. I have yet to pay some attention to technical details when I have time.

Honestly, I might not be able to pass A/B tests. But I use headphones quite heavily, perhaps more than 5-6 hours per day. After a long listening session, I found my satisfaction and immersion with music went to another level.

EDIT: But I use Q5 with the desktop amp MCTH. So the case might be a bit different.

Welp, in that situation Q5 acts solely as a DAC :)

The DAC inside sure is potent

----

As for the USB vs other inputs, I honestly just use what is most convenient. In this case, it sure is USB from my smartphone. I can't say I hear a big difference between USB and other digital inputs, but I surely didn't focus on that, I think that the key word here is convenience. I find it simply too convenient to use the USB part.

May 5, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #1,940 of 3,173
I find personally, compared to the mojo, the form factor, control layout (and associated functionality), and SQ / drive to be in favour of the Q5/AM5... With the extra amp module in tow, they go head to head on more than just pricing...

A real credit to FiiO if you ask me!

May 5, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #1,941 of 3,173
Love q5. I've paired it with an ipod touch 6th gen. Sounds incredible and that's just using apple music.

May 5, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,942 of 3,173
Looking forward to testing the Q5. I will be using it primarily with Bluetooth, but I will also compare it with other inputs. Hey Brooko, it must feel liberating not to have that moderator tag and be able to actually just post as a member again! Did you also test the Bluetooth?

May 5, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,943 of 3,173
I use Bluetooth more than I use wired connections now. The big difference is FiiO implementing the conversion through the AKM DACs. Its hands down the best portable DAC/amp (in terms of total package) I've used to date.

May 5, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,944 of 3,173
For a usb connection I use a high quality cable from In-akustik plus the ifi audio iSilencer 3.0. I cannot say that the the optical is superior than this combination.

Снимок.JPG

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,945 of 3,173
I use Bluetooth more than I use wired connections now. The big difference is FiiO implementing the conversion through the AKM DACs. Its hands down the best portable DAC/amp (in terms of total package) I've used to date.
Yes, that is what I'm really looking forward to as well. I wonder if iFi does a similar thing with the iOne? Even normal Bluetooth implementations not as technically appointed as the Q5 still sounds fantastic so I am quite intrigued by the notion that the Q5 may have a noticeably better sounding Bluetooth experience.

May 6, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,946 of 3,173
I've come to accept that cables have an impact on the sound. As a student I've learned how destructive noise can be

Of course, cables do matter. I don't like spending thousands on cables, but what I learned so far is that I must avoid crappy cables at least. I changed my line out-RCA cable from a crappy one ($5) to a less crappy one ($10), and the difference between two was quite noticeable.

May 7, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,947 of 3,173
May 7, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,948 of 3,173
Nice review. Especially it is valuable to know about the AM3B combination with the Q5. My amplifier will arrive in 3-5 days.
Hope to get a full synergy with my neutral IEMs.

May 7, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,950 of 3,173
Another issue I've noticed with the Q5:

-I leave the Q5 plugged into my Mac's USB port all day even when the computer is off.
-I start up the computer.
-The computer recognizes that the Q5 is plugged in.
-I turn the Q5 on.
-I play a song and the song won't play and there is no sound.
-I either have to unplug the Q5 and plug it back in or shut it off and turn it on again to get the music to play.

Anyone else have this problem?

I really want to like this thing, but it's giving me quite the headache...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back