FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Mar 26, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #903 of 3,173
A 4-5Watt module is what I really want.  Or how about a module where the user can switch in their own opamp and buffers.   A premium can be charged for the DIY version just like the DIY E12.  
But I'll be just as happy with the new smaller balanced module to plug into Ibasso PB2.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #904 of 3,173

Yes we will release no module but maybe only available in our online store, lots of our agents complained to us that some people just returned the no module X7 cause it can't used for any headphones. 

maybe include a low-profile low power headphone amp module (that is just powerful enough to drive IEM's) as default config? IEM users (and line-out users) will appreciate the smaller over-all size; Users of larger phones still have the option to change it to the bulky high-power modules.

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #905 of 3,173
  maybe include a low-profile low power headphone amp module (that is just powerful enough to drive IEM's) as default config? IEM users (and line-out users) will appreciate the smaller over-all size; Users of larger phones still have the option to change it to the bulky high-power modules.

That is what we wanted to drop - the original AM01. 

The problem with it was that it wasn't really used by some of us and those who paid for it were practically throwing the money away if using AM03 always, this is why we wanted to have a no-amp module 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #906 of 3,173
Bundle no module, the default configuration should be just the Q5 without an amp, let the user decide at the time of ordering. What could be simpler?

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #907 of 3,173
  Bundle no module, the default configuration should be just the Q5 without an amp, let the user decide at the time of ordering. What could be simpler?

Logistics and knowing how many modules to produce without over-doing it is complicated for FiiO in this case, they can go very wrong this is why they would want to use their own configurator and sell as many modules as are bought. Seeing their perspective, I actually think it is a decent solution for everyone.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #908 of 3,173

Logistics and knowing how many modules to produce without over-doing it is complicated for FiiO in this case, they can go very wrong this is why they would want to use their own configurator and sell as many modules as are bought. Seeing their perspective, I actually think it is a decent solution for everyone.  

I can see the concern but I can't help but think they can make it work by analyzing the sales data from the X7. They must have a ton of sales history by now and you can bet the Q5 will be very similar in terms of customers. I wonder if existing X7 modules will fit the new Q5?

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #909 of 3,173

That is what we wanted to drop - the original AM01. 

The problem with it was that it wasn't really used by some of us and those who paid for it were practically throwing the money away if using AM03 always, this is why we wanted to have a no-amp module 
biggrin.gif

I see. Though I think Fiio's concern is valid as well, not all users are technical experts, some would buy the bare unit without realizing it requires extra module...

Maybe Fiio can just put the basic amp section (which is probably one chip anyway, probably a $5 feature) as part of the main circuit board, you won't even know it is there.
eek.gif

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #910 of 3,173

I see. Though I think Fiio's concern is valid as well, not all users are technical experts, some would buy the bare unit without realizing it requires extra module...

Maybe Fiio can just put the basic amp section (which is probably one chip anyway, probably a $5 feature) as part of the main circuit board, you won't even know it is there.
eek.gif

I can see the concern but I can't help but think they can make it work by analyzing the sales data from the X7. They must have a ton of sales history by now and you can bet the Q5 will be very similar in terms of customers. I wonder if existing X7 modules will fit the new Q5?

Or maybe Fiio could say that you cannot buy the Q5 unbundled... but that you do have to choose which amp module you want it to be bundled with?

This would achieve the following things:
  1. ensure that nobody mistakenly buys the Q5 "unbundled" (and is angry that there's no amp)
  2. allows (and in fact, forces) purchasers to choose which amp module their Q5 comes bundled with

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #912 of 3,173
Bundle with AM03 from the start? 
biggrin.gif

I remember the news being that Q5 would be compatible with X7 modules 

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #913 of 3,173
  Bundle with AM03 from the start? 
biggrin.gif

I remember the news being that Q5 would be compatible with X7 modules 

If the X7 modules are compatible this should really simplify things for fiiO. They could simply produce additional amp modules in keeping with the basic proportions they now I assume adhere to after quite sometime selling the X7. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #914 of 3,173

Q5 and X7 will share all the AMP modules listed and will be listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back