FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Mar 21, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #872 of 3,173
  DAC: AKM4490×2
LINE IN / OPTICAL IN / COAXIAL IN: one 3.5mm interface
LINE OUT: one 3.5mm interface
USB IN 1: Micro USB (Power+Date)
USB IN 2: Micro USB (Power+Date)
Bluetooth IN (apt-x)
Power out 3.5 / Balanced out 2.5 (AMP module)

Sorry for sounding noob but what is the meaning of the Date here ? If possible kindly elaborate....

Is it pull the Date & Time info from the source device like Phone or PC ?

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #873 of 3,173
  DAC: AKM4490×2
LINE IN / OPTICAL IN / COAXIAL IN: one 3.5mm interface
LINE OUT: one 3.5mm interface
USB IN 1: Micro USB (Power+Date)
USB IN 2: Micro USB (Power+Date)
Bluetooth IN (apt-x)
Power out 3.5 / Balanced out 2.5 (AMP module)

I plan on stacking the Q5 with an iPod touch.

In addition to listening with my Sennheiser HD600's, I also plan on using this stack to feed my home stereo system.

My home stereo system has the following inputs:
  1. USB Type B
  2. Optical
  3. Coax
  4. Aux In (RCA inputs)

What are my options for feeding the iPod/Q5 stack into the stereo system?  I'm assuming that I'll be running a cord from the Q5's Line Out (one 3.5mm interface)?  But which inputs am I able to run that into?

EDIT:  And I'm assuming that the Q5's dac will be processing the digital music file and then my home stereo system will take care of amping that signal from the Q5?

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #875 of 3,173
@TheEldestBoy

Right now Adorama is having a sale on the iFi micro iDSD Black Label for $400 (normally $550). It has ridiculous power for high impedance headphones such as HD600. I use it with my HD580 and various 250 ohm Beyers. If your iPod Touch has iOS 7 or higher and a lightning port, I highly recommend it. The only problem is that for a portable unit it's not really pocketable in a stack. It's almost as thick as three iPhone 7 and almost as long as a iPhone 7 plus so you would have to have the stack in a bag for otg listening.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #876 of 3,173
@TheEldestBoy

Right now Adorama is having a sale on the iFi micro iDSD Black Label for $400 (normally $550). It has ridiculous power for high impedance headphones such as HD600. I use it with my HD580 and various 250 ohm Beyers. If your iPod Touch has iOS 7 or higher and a lightning port, I highly recommend it. The only problem is that for a portable unit it's not really pocketable in a stack. It's almost as thick as three iPhone 7 and almost as long as a iPhone 7 plus so you would have to have the stack in a bag for otg listening.

If you don't need a portable stack I recommend checking out the Topping D30/A30 stack.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #877 of 3,173
Q5 is great to support aptx, but I can see many ppl here suggesting to pair it with iPhone, and iPhone does not support aptx, may I ask does that mean pairing with iPhone will result in "poorer" SQ?

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #878 of 3,173

Sorry for sounding noob but what is the meaning of the Date here ? If possible kindly elaborate....

Is it pull the Date & Time info from the source device like Phone or PC ?

-----USB digital music date, not time

I plan on stacking the Q5 with an iPod touch.

In addition to listening with my Sennheiser HD600's, I also plan on using this stack to feed my home stereo system.

My home stereo system has the following inputs:
  1. USB Type B
  2. Optical
  3. Coax
  4. Aux In (RCA inputs)

What are my options for feeding the iPod/Q5 stack into the stereo system?  I'm assuming that I'll be running a cord from the Q5's Line Out (one 3.5mm interface)?  But which inputs am I able to run that into?

EDIT:  And I'm assuming that the Q5's dac will be processing the digital music file and then my home stereo system will take care of amping that signal from the Q5?

Q5 ->Line out 3.5mm -> 3.5mm to RCA cable ->Aux in (RCA input)  stereo system

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #880 of 3,173
Q5 is great to support aptx, but I can see many ppl here suggesting to pair it with iPhone, and iPhone does not support aptx, may I ask does that mean pairing with iPhone will result in "poorer" SQ?

If there is any audible drop in quality at all, it should be minimal. People greatly overestimate how sensitive to tiny, tiny quality changes they really are because frankly, people simply assume rather than actually test properly. IMO of course, nothing more.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #881 of 3,173
  If there is any audible drop in quality at all, it should be minimal. People greatly overestimate how sensitive to tiny, tiny quality changes they really are because frankly, people simply assume rather than actually test properly. IMO of course, nothing more.

Never heard the difference between APT-X and without. 

But my take is that if both modules are okay, it should work out. 

It is not like going from MP3 320 to MP3 at 128, right?

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #882 of 3,173

It is not like going from MP3 320 to MP3 at 128, right?

Absolutely, as I said the differences are likely to be so small as to be insignificant.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #883 of 3,173
  Absolutely, as I said the differences are likely to be so small as to be insignificant.

Don't tell people this, but I hear no difference between OGG -q10 and FLAC most of times 
wink.gif

Seriosuly though, if the differences aren't big, and as BT is mainly intended to be used outside and as most BT headsets are not ie800 level of revealing, I wouldn't really care about this. 

What matters for BT is that the connection doesn't drop in any moment and within a sensible range. Everything else shouldn't be a bother to us users. 

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #884 of 3,173

Don't tell people this, but I hear no difference between OGG -q10 and FLAC most of times 
wink.gif

Seriosuly though, if the differences aren't big, and as BT is mainly intended to be used outside and as most BT headsets are not ie800 level of revealing, I wouldn't really care about this. 

What matters for BT is that the connection doesn't drop in any moment and within a sensible range. Everything else shouldn't be a bother to us users. 

Its true OGG VBR 320kbps is basically indistinguishable from FLAC>

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #885 of 3,173

Its true OGG VBR 320kbps is basically indistinguishable from FLAC>

I think that at -q 10 it is about 500kbps, but yeah, while I can see some minotr differences in the graphs, the sound is just the same to my ears - which is funny since I'm only using FLACs due to a OCD / bias I have for keeping all my libraries saved in FLAC 

Fear the CD rot man! 

I was using my phone to watch some AMV's while in the train yesterday, and while it did sound good, a little bump in the audio quality would be great to have! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back