FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,246 of 3,173
How do you think it compares to the Q1 in terms of DAC quality with easy-to-drive headphones? will is be a nice paring for a Beyer T5p 2nd for both home and mobile use?
Much better than the q1, loads more detail given good files

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,247 of 3,173
Just got back from DHL. :alien: Its here!! Baaaah! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Q5.jpg

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,249 of 3,173
Practical advice - if your music is AAC/MP3 or you stream Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc. no need for any OTG or lightning cable. Just use AptX bluetooth or AAC bluetooth (iOS). Since Q5 BT implementation bypasses the BT DAC and goes directly to the dual AKM4490, the quality is just as good as a physical USB connection. If you use Tidal or have mostly lossless files (FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, etc.) then you may get marginally better sound using USB. However, USB itself introduces it's own limitations so the tradeoff may not be worth. Personally I will be using BT exclusively when I am on the go. At home I will use coax input.

Hi, thanks for your input. I have a noobish question for ya. How do I connect a coax input to the Q5 from an Android smartphone, which has a C type USB and Headphone jack? If I can't seem to do that, would that mean a USB would be the best option?

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #1,250 of 3,173
Hi, thanks for your input. I have a noobish question for ya. How do I connect a coax input to the Q5 from an Android smartphone, which has a C type USB and Headphone jack? If I can't seem to do that, would that mean a USB would be the best option?

Unfortunately no. Coax output only comes from DDC devices (Digital to Digital Converter) that take USB input and creates coax, optical and i2S. From a smartphone the only wired digital interface is the USB port. However as I mentioned earlier, I think you will find that AptX is more than sufficient for CD quality and wireless is hard to beat for convenience. If you want to try USB, make sure your read back and get the right Android OTG cable so that Q5 doesn't suck the battery.

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #1,251 of 3,173
Thanks. I would rather use Bluetooth as you mentioned for the convenience. I have a X7 DAP for when I want to listen to HI RES. The phone is for Tidal HIFI (CD Quality) when I am on the road as I have my music on offline mode. How is the Bass Boost function? I have a A3 Amp and I really like it to be quite honest.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #1,254 of 3,173
Thanks. I would rather use Bluetooth as you mentioned for the convenience. I have a X7 DAP for when I want to listen to HI RES. The phone is for Tidal HIFI (CD Quality) when I am on the road as I have my music on offline mode. How is the Bass Boost function? I have a A3 Amp and I really like it to be quite honest.

Bass boost sounds like a +9-12 dB around 60 Hz so very obvious and too much for my personal tastes but I'm more of a neutral preference.

Here is another benefit of BT. You will know when you get a notification or phone call from your phone.

Here is my transportable rig that can literally connect to any source:

CDM.jpg

The second copper cable is a ground only DIY cable I made to eliminate ground noise.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #1,255 of 3,173
Bass boost sounds like a +9-12 dB around 60 Hz so very obvious and too much for my personal tastes but I'm more of a neutral preference.

Here is another benefit of BT. You will know when you get a notification or phone call from your phone.

Here is my transportable rig that can literally connect to any source:

The second copper cable is a ground only DIY cable I made to eliminate ground noise.

Regarding bass boost, where are you getting 9-12 dB at 60 hz? Is there documentation regarding the bass boost quantity and where it’s centered?

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,256 of 3,173
Regarding bass boost, where are you getting 9-12 dB at 60 hz? Is there documentation regarding the bass boost quantity and where it’s centered?

Played around with software EQ to approximate by ear.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #1,257 of 3,173
Accessories for those Q5 owners with OCD like me:
Both are useful audio gadgets to have around for future upgrades. Check out Headfi classified too. Can't promise that you will hear any difference, but these may give that last percent or 2 of peak performance. YMMV

Oh, can't stand the side charging port making your cable stick out? Get a set of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4XJ9WA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Peace

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,258 of 3,173
I just ordered mine. The Bluetooth functionality would come in very handy.

How is the heapdhone amp? Would this thing be able to drive a T1 2nd?

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,259 of 3,173
Jan 30, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,260 of 3,173
Hey , Was wondering how the FiiO Q5 compares to something like the X7 II seeing as both are advertised as flaghships in their respective segments . Any reviewers who own both ?
Dear friend,

You may have a try in the local store as well. :L3000: If you collect the Q5 to the X7MKII, the power may not have big improve. But the sound quanlity would have a bit difference.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back