FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Apr 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #946 of 3,173
@ProtegeManiac funny, for me it is the opposite. The Q5 has made we not need/want the X5III as I still carry my phone anyway, so regardless I would be carrying two devices. I do get that the X5III if all else is equal is more convenient in some circumstances, and the need to only consider one battery is a plus instead of worrying about two batteries.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #947 of 3,173
  @ProtegeManiac funny, for me it is the opposite. The Q5 has made we not need/want the X5III as I still carry my phone anyway, so regardless I would be carrying two devices. I do get that the X5III if all else is equal is more convenient in some circumstances, and the need to only consider one battery is a plus instead of worrying about two batteries.  

Either way we'd all potentially have to carry two devices. Initially I wanted the Q5 because it had BT, so if I ever end up with a phone that had no 3.5mm analogue output and no analogue pins on the USB-C, I'll just use the Q5. But then the X5III was announced with key features: it ran Android, it had a 1.9v line out, and we already have the DK1, plus a volume knob. It had what I wanted in AK players (the knob), it had what I needed from the X7 (Android which also means NeutronMusicPlayer, touchscreen, Redbook line out) that I wouldn't pay X7 price for because I could just use my phone (using it now via USB OTG), and everything I needed to run it as a desktop player (Redbook line out, touchscreen, Neutron Music Player, DK1 dock). 

Basically, my desktop set up was initially going to be Android phone > Q5 > whatever HPamp I'll be using by that point, but with the X5III, I can reduce it to X5III > HPamp.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #948 of 3,173

Basically, my desktop set up was initially going to be Android phone > Q5 > whatever HPamp I'll be using by that point, but with the X5III, I can reduce it to X5III > HPamp.

Makes sense. For me the Bluetooth in the Q5 is my main attraction as it is nice to just use my phone as a transport and skip the cable. However we get there, as long as we get there right?

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #950 of 3,173
  Q5 developing progress update:

1. The appearance parts have already been confirmed and settled. All the functions are also completed.

USB decoding supports up to 384kHz/32 bit. DSD is also supported.
For input, it supports Line input, Coaxial input, Optical input, Bluetooth input, iPhone digital input, PC USB digital input. And each input mode can be displayed by different colors of the LED indicator.

2. The Q5 is planned to come standard with the AM3A headphone amplifier module.

The AM3A module has the same interface of the AM3: 3.5mm headphone output, 2.5mm Balanced output. The difference is that the AM3A has lower output power and a more compact circuit design.

3. The tone tuning is still in comparison phase.

The tone tuning of Q5 has not yet been determined and we're still collecting the requirements of consumers. There will be several sample units with different tuning, and we will make selection in mid April. In addition, the tone of Q5 can be changed by adjusting the digital filter through an app on the phone, which needs to be connected to the Q5 via Bluetooth.

4. Some more complex performance indexes are still under testing, such as Bluetooth stability and Anti-interference performance.

@JamesFiiO
@demond

Have you settled on a tuning for the Q5?

Any update is much appreciated...

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #951 of 3,173

@JamesFiiO
@demond

Have you settled on a tuning for the Q5?

Any update is much appreciated...

Why the AM3A? That is designed for at best modest loads if I'm not mistaken, more for IEMs correct? I am having trouble finding the specifications for that module. This is essentially asking many to pay for a module they don't need and will have to upgrade. Again, if I have my modules mixed up forgive me, but I thought the AM3A was less powerful? So if I want to power 64ohm large driver headphones with modest efficiency is this amp module up to the task for listening levels of around 80-90 db (my listening level). Thanks.

May 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #959 of 3,173
Who knew making the ultimate game-changing mid-fi portable DAC would take so much effort? (no pressure, guys...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back