FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Oct 11, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #766 of 834
In my opinion, Q1 mk II is some of the worst sounding DACs I've heard.. it sounds so fake. If you ever decide to buy it, don't pay more than $30.

I'll never buy from Fiio again.

Interesting - I'd agree with the sentiment if engaging bass boost (it adds too much to the mid-range, should have been targeted to sub bass only). It also had an issue with static interference with my iPhone (EMI/RFI). But as far as general sound goes - it's essentially linear with a slight touch of warmth (this is also reflected in the measurements). If it sounds fake, then so do around 70-80% of the other DACs and DAPs on the market. What headphones/earphones were you driving? Are you sure you weren't trying to power something which was beyond its capability?

I'm also curious to know his setup.

Long story short, I haven't been on headfi in years and I have no agenda and I can confidently say that the Galaxy Note 8 (FiiO CL06) to the FiiO Q1 mark II to the FiiO A5 to the Etymotics ER4XR made Tool's Fear Inoculum a tranced and lucid experience.

The instrument separation on Miles Davis' Kind of Blue was better than I expected, having owned an e17 years ago.

I've also owned ifi's micro idsd and there's a possible disadvantage in the Q1's stage parameters; and not that the Q1 and A5 pairing sounds overly congested, I could easily discern the saxophone and piano to my left from the drums behind me and the bass towards the center, etc., but I distinctively remember the micro idsd being able to provide greater dimensions or a more enveloping sound using the ER4XR's, especially with the 3d matrix.

Where the Q1 is communicative, the idsd is that while also being more demonstrative but these are only my initial impressions..

I've only had the unit since last weekend and I intend to have a more thorough experience withe the Sony xb90ex on my trip to Philly next weekend.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #768 of 834
Oct 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #769 of 834
Why would you double amplify? Why is the A5 in the chain?

The Q1 Mark II contains a 3.5mm multifunction connector used for line-input and line-output duties. When this is used as line-input, the Q1 Mark II can be used purely as an amplifier to be paired with another player. When this multifunction connector is used as line-output, the Q1 Mark II can be used as a DAC and be hooked up to an external amplifier.

https://www.fiio.com/q1mkii

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #770 of 834
OK, so you're not double amping, but I still don't get it. Why not just use the Q1 as a DAC & AMP and forget about the A5 - I don't think the A5 outperforms the Q1 in any way. Or what is the advantage you experience in your setup?

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #771 of 834
Has anyone experienced the battery in their Q1 MK II bulging?

I purchased mine back in December 2018, and it's worked well, until about a week ago when I noticed the amp getting strangely warm during use. Around the same time, I noticed it was apparently not charging properly, because the light would never turn blue. Plugged in and turned off, red light. Plugged in and turned on, purple (red and blue) light.

Now, just yesterday, while the unity was plugged in and turned on, I heard a "pop" sound come from the amp. I unplugged it completely, and noticed that the micro USB charging port is now a bit pushed out of place, upward. I unscrewed the back plate and had a look, and it certainly looks like the battery is bulging. Would maybe explain the heat and abnormal charging behavior, yeah?

No idea how FiiO will handle this. It's still within the 1 year warranty period, so I've emailed them.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #772 of 834

I purchased mine back in December 2018, and it's worked well, until about a week ago when I noticed the amp getting strangely warm during use. Around the same time, I noticed it was apparently not charging properly, because the light would never turn blue. Plugged in and turned off, red light. Plugged in and turned on, purple (red and blue) light.

Now, just yesterday, while the unity was plugged in and turned on, I heard a "pop" sound come from the amp. I unplugged it completely, and noticed that the micro USB charging port is now a bit pushed out of place, upward. I unscrewed the back plate and had a look, and it certainly looks like the battery is bulging. Would maybe explain the heat and abnormal charging behavior, yeah?

No idea how FiiO will handle this. It's still within the 1 year warranty period, so I've emailed them.

Would be helpful to FiiO if you took a pic while the back plate was off and posted it here...

Although personally I cannot say I've heard much about this issue. I owned my Q1ii for quite a few months and didn't have same issues. Although I never took it outside...

Maybe you bumped it/dropped it/banged it so where accidentally?

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #773 of 834

That sucks. Just had a look at mine, bought in Aug 18--so far so good, no bulging but I'll be keeping an eye on it. Hasn't exhibited any weird charging behavior yet anyway. There's a FiiO help thread here you can monitor and use if you have to:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dont-be-shy-contact-us-directly-with-problems-with-your-fiio.757129/

Good luck, might take a while but they should come through for you if it's under warranty.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #774 of 834

Dear friend,

Sorry about that. Please send email to us and we will help about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 16, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #775 of 834

I suggest you stop using it until the battery (or the whole unit) is changed - it may be a fire/explosion hazard. Bulging battery is a sure sign of danger - it's overheated, therefore the bulge (heat expansion)

As for the lights, I think they show what the are supposed to show. Red - charging, Purple - charging (red) AND turned on (blue)

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #776 of 834
I've sent an email to FiiO's support.

Maybe you bumped it/dropped it/banged it so where accidentally?

No drops or anything like that. It spent 99% of its time sitting on a desk connected to a laptop.

I suggest you stop using it until the battery (or the whole unit) is changed - it may be a fire/explosion hazard. Bulging battery is a sure sign of danger - it's overheated, therefore the bulge (heat expansion)

As for the lights, I think they show what the are supposed to show. Red - charging, Purple - charging (red) AND turned on (blue)

I immediately stopped using it as soon as I noticed the bulge. I might not have been clear on the charging/light issue. My problem was that at some point the amp's battery started thinking it was never fully charged, no matter how long it spent connected to the laptop. The light stayed purple all the time.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #778 of 834
I've sent an email to FiiO's support.

No drops or anything like that. It spent 99% of its time sitting on a desk connected to a laptop.

Well mine did exactly that, never went outside and no problems whatsoever.

I'd heavily suggest getting an RMA immediately.

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #780 of 834
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back