FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Aug 2, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #61 of 834
Will this work with the iPod nano?

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #62 of 834
Sub-par to your standards or needs but not everyone else's. If someone needs a cheap DAC/amp for the laptop then this is the route to go. I wouldn't expect all the bells and whistles at this price point so I'm not sure what your issue is with this device. Compared to the original Q1, it's an upgrade and the original Q1 was an entry level DAC/amp that cost $69. This one is $99 and does balanced. If you want more than that, then get your wallet out because all those extras you want cost more money. It's pretty obvious this device doesn't meet your needs, but that's not a reason to call it sub-par.

All those extras... All it needs is an RCA input for digital audio.

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #64 of 834
But the problem is that it's inconvenient without an RCA jack for digital audio.
FiiO never advertised it as such. Read the marketing material. Firstly, they've designed it for use with iOS devices now that the headphone jacks are going (smart move). Should be compatible with a lot of Android too. USB audio out for laptops etc. Its a $99 device.

You keep saying its not fit for purpose. You're just expecting an Apple to be an Orange (pardon the pun). Suggest looking elsewhere - this FiiO is not for you. personally (as an iPhone owner). I'm really looking forward to testing it!

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #65 of 834
iOS devices now that the headphone jacks are going (smart move)

I think removing the headphone jack is a bad idea. Try charging your iPhone 7 while listening to something with headphones. Can't be done. it also means having to carry around a small cable to be able to use headphones. So really, this was not a good idea.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #66 of 834
I meant it's a smart move for FiiO to be making a device like this for use with Apple devices. And personally I think it'll sell really well.

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #67 of 834
I think removing the headphone jack is a bad idea. Try charging your iPhone 7 while listening to something with headphones. Can't be done. it also means having to carry around a small cable to be able to use headphones. So really, this was not a good idea.

I ended up buying like 5 of those stupid adapters and just leave them on my portable headphones... guess if Apple was looking for an extra $20 from me it was a great idea.

Love your Star Trek V avatar btw .... what does god need with a starship?

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #68 of 834
How can one charge an iPhone 7 while using headphones? Streaming video or playing a game can drain the battery. So if I want to do something that makes sound and I also need to have the phone on charge while doing so yet a nned to use headphones, how do I do this? That's what makes taking away the headphone jack a very bad idea.

As for the Q1MII, is there some adapter that would adapt an RCA DAC cable to one the Q1MII would accept?

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #69 of 834
How can one charge an iPhone 7 while using headphones? Streaming video or playing a game can drain the battery. So if I want to do something that makes sound and I also need to have the phone on charge while doing so yet a nned to use headphones, how do I do this? That's what makes taking away the headphone jack a very bad idea.

As for the Q1MII, is there some adapter that would adapt an RCA DAC cable to one the Q1MII would accept?
I'm not an apple user outside of occasionally buying music from iTunes. If I recall, they were pimping their bluetooth earpods rather than being wired so technically you can charge your phone and listen so long as you use bluetooth. Perhaps there's some type on multi-port OTG adapter one could use as well, but I really don't know.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #70 of 834
I was intrigued when I first heard about the Q1 MKII but now I see it will be of no use to me and I will stick with my Q1 as I don't have balanced headphones and no plans to upgrade. I really don't need the DAC from the Q1 as I only use the amp section with my A17. At this point I wish that Fiio would finally upgrade the A3 which is just a rebadged E11K as it is very long in the tooth by today's standards. The amp section in the Q1 while not as powerful as the A3 sounds better to me as I have both and offers almost double the battery life. The A5 is to much power for my needs and the battery life is even worse than the A3. The E12A was kind of what what I am hoping the next A3 will be, essentially a less powerful and cheaper amp than the A5 with 20 to 25 hours of battery life.

Kind of getting frustrated with Fiio's new products as the Q1 MK2 is of no use to me. The X1-II comes up short on performance and features and the X5-III and X7-II are android based and of no interest to me. I was holding out hope for the X3-III and it does look really nice but lacks AptX bluetooth support and has disappointing battery life. I wish Fiio would clarify the AptX question as the video on their facebook page shows Quallcomm AptX support but the features and specs on the site make not mention of it.

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #71 of 834
Aug 13, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #72 of 834
I was intrigued when I first heard about the Q1 MKII but now I see it will be of no use to me and I will stick with my Q1 as I don't have balanced headphones and no plans to upgrade. I really don't need the DAC from the Q1 as I only use the amp section with my A17. At this point I wish that Fiio would finally upgrade the A3 which is just a rebadged E11K as it is very long in the tooth by today's standards. The amp section in the Q1 while not as powerful as the A3 sounds better to me as I have both and offers almost double the battery life. The A5 is to much power for my needs and the battery life is even worse than the A3. The E12A was kind of what what I am hoping the next A3 will be, essentially a less powerful and cheaper amp than the A5 with 20 to 25 hours of battery life.

Kind of getting frustrated with Fiio's new products as the Q1 MK2 is of no use to me. The X1-II comes up short on performance and features and the X5-III and X7-II are android based and of no interest to me. I was holding out hope for the X3-III and it does look really nice but lacks AptX bluetooth support and has disappointing battery life. I wish Fiio would clarify the AptX question as the video on their facebook page shows Quallcomm AptX support but the features and specs on the site make not mention of it.
Q1 MKII does balanced and single ended out.

Aug 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #73 of 834
Q1 MKII does balanced and single ended out.

Sure it does single ended but outputs a max of 75 mW into 32 ohms. I get 190 mW from my Q1 now so why would I upgrade to get less than 1/3 the power? Not to mention only 2/3 the battery life at 20 hours vs 30 hours for the Q1 amp only. It will be interesting to see how well this sells considering that balanced output is not a huge feature on portable gear at least outside of Asia. I could see the merits of going this route on the Q3 and Q5 given they are higher end DAC/Amps but pure overkill on the Q1. The X3-III at $200.00 also offers balanced output but without such a huge difference in output power at 190 mW balanced vs 160 mW single output into 32 ohms.

Makes me wonder what the output power difference will be on the Q3 and Q5 vs the Q1? Frankly I would be better off getting the X3-III and using it as a DAC/Amp vs getting the Q1-II.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #75 of 834
Wow. Looks great.

Yeah it does look great, much more modern than the Q1 but the low power output for single ended headphones makes it unattractive otherwise. I would love it if Fiio would come out with the exact same design for the current Q1 without the balanced output and at least the same power as the current Q1. I much prefer this design to the flask shape design of the Q1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back