FiiO Q1MKII- Native DSD Support, XMOS USB DAC chip, DAC AK4452, 20 hours
Oct 9, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #181 of 834
Ok, so today I achieved success in getting the Q1Mk2 to connect to my android phone (Blackberry Priv) as a DAC/AMP. I had to use this connector:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NSBVNCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the right-angle micro USB connected to the phone. The male USB connection is connected to a portable charger. The female USB is accepting the cord from the Q1Mk2. The Q1Mk2 is charging off of the portable charger, so it's not requiring power from the phone. Therefore, it's not triggering the phone's power output limit.

I will charge up a few of the other android devices I have laying around the house to confirm this works with those devices as well.

I had a lot of trouble with the 4 or 5 android devices I've tried.

The E18 cables would not work, neither would my DIY micro to micro cables.

Only way I could get them to work is with a micro to full size female usb OTG cable and then a standard usb cable to the Q1ii.

Could it be that cables with OTG pinout both ends won't work with the Q1ii and it needs to only be OTG on the phone end?

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #182 of 834
So after using it a bit more, this time strapped to the back of my phone, I'm getting some really bad interference from the cell/wifi radios. Extremely noticeable, and i'm even picking it up with the DAC totally disconnected from the phone. No interference at all with the DAC sitting on my desk next to the phone - this is only with it strapped to the back of my Pixel XL.
That is to be expected, Google Pixel XL's network works through the glass panel at the back. Essentially, you'd be covering up the only place your phone receives signal.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #183 of 834
I had a lot of trouble with the 4 or 5 android devices I've tried.

The E18 cables would not work, neither would my DIY micro to micro cables.

Only way I could get them to work is with a micro to full size female usb OTG cable and then a standard usb cable to the Q1ii.

Could it be that cables with OTG pinout both ends won't work with the Q1ii and it needs to only be OTG on the phone end?

In addition to my Blackberry Priv, I got this to work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I have not yet gotten it to work with my HTC One Remix.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #184 of 834
I like the way the Q1M2 pairs with the F9. For ~$200, I feel like the combination of the two is punching above its weight in value, given that I'm unlocking the full potential of my phone's music access.

And as an aside, I also like it just in amp mode when paired with my X3II. The sound is the best the X3II has ever sounded to me, and they are exactly the same size and stack nicely.

I can't say that I hear a definable difference between balanced and regular mode with the F9, but for what it's worth I like the balanced cable a lot. It's weightless and lays down. Very unobtrusive.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #185 of 834
In addition to my Blackberry Priv, I got this to work on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I have not yet gotten it to work with my HTC One Remix.
To my knowledge, HTC One Remix is a very old phone and it doesn't support OTG as well. As far as I know, android devices natively started supporting OTG from android 6.0.

Anyway, I in particular am really interested in trying out the f9 and q1 mk2 combo. My setup will be arriving in november or december. Lets see.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #187 of 834
Sorry if this has been addressed earlier - but isn't the single point-of-inconvenience, the lack of "Lightning to Micro-USB" cables?
manufacture never really advertised it as an Android DAC because of how fragmented all of the different OS versions on different hardware is. So it's really only supposed to be a Apple DAC with the additional benefit of MAYBE working with your Android phone.

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #188 of 834
manufacture never really advertised it as an Android DAC because of how fragmented all of the different OS versions on different hardware is. So it's really only supposed to be a Apple DAC with the additional benefit of MAYBE working with your Android phone.

I'm not sure you understood my comment - I was referring to the scarcity of a Lightning to Micro-USB cable since that's the interconnect between an iPhone 7 and the Q1MK2.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #189 of 834
There is a cable included in the package

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #191 of 834
fwiw I returned mine as I found it just didn't have enough juice to drive my Sines to my tastes, and it didn't sound better than the DAC in the Cipher cable.

It is a nice looking unit and if you've got IEMs or something easy to drive it can be an upgrade that is pretty seamless with both iOS device (included cable) or even new MacBook (usb-c to usb-b).

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #192 of 834
If you lose or the included cable is faulty - how do you replace it? I've seen a FiiO L19 cable but that looks a lot clunkier than what the bundled cable is.

I think you'll find FiiO will have the cable listed as an accessory at some stage in the future. I have the L19 and while its recognised fine, the Q1 also actively draws current from the iPhone - so not really a suitable solution.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #193 of 834
My tour version came with a bit longer ipad cable and a short iphone cable.

Fiio F5 deal on columbus day would have been nice timing, but I missed it.

TuneIn and video/music app worked very well.

I have not tested the battery, but the ipad and the Q1ii both have to run on battery.

Maybe a powerbank and a cable adapter exist to allow for the stack to grow til your hearts content.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #194 of 834
fwiw I returned mine as I found it just didn't have enough juice to drive my Sines to my tastes, and it didn't sound better than the DAC in the Cipher cable.

It is a nice looking unit and if you've got IEMs or something easy to drive it can be an upgrade that is pretty seamless with both iOS device (included cable) or even new MacBook (usb-c to usb-b).

I think the power is with balance. You should have at least tried it out.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #195 of 834

Users who are viewing this thread

Back