FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #407 of 799
Do you think the power supply will be better than from a regular PD? Can you hear that?
Well don’t have tried q15 with a pd because from my experience with the q7 delivered with a power supply (but not linear) and that I compared it with pl50 using same setup there was a real improvement especially with very sensitive iem the background is darker and more generally the sound is more open more lively. So when I bought the q15 I directly bought a dedicated linear psu.

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #408 of 799
Well don’t have tried q15 with a pd because from my experience with the q7 delivered with a power supply (but not linear) and that I compared it with pl50 using same setup there was a real improvement especially with very sensitive iem the background is darker and more generally the sound is more open more lively. So when I bought the q15 I directly bought a dedicated linear psu.
What cable would you use to power the Q15 from the PL50?

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #409 of 799
Počúval som to včera, ale väčšinou dnes na pár hodín. Viem, že porovnávam neporovnateľne, keďže tieto prehrávače sú každý v inej cenovej kategórii:
DaP Shanling M3s – 300 eur,
DaC FIIO Q15 – 400 eur,
DaP Sony MW WM1Z - 3300 eur.
Shanling bol prvý, po rokoch som kúpil Sony z druhej ruky (1500Eur) a teraz som potreboval niečo univerzálne. Koaxiálny vstup okolo CD, USB, Bluetooth, ale hlavne 2V linkový výstup, lebo Sony má len 0,7V 3,5mm. Nebude dostatočne stimulovať koncový zosilňovač, najmä na slabších nahrávkach. Predzosilňovač nechcem, mám len reléový ovládač hlasitosti. Lacný kazí zvuk a drahý je zbytočná investícia. S reproduktormi som to vzhľadom na okolnosti ešte neskúšal. kvôli hlasitosti musím byť sám doma. Toto sú len moje dojmy a názory.
Najprv som prepínal medzi 1 a 2, po niekoľkých hodinách medzi 2 a 3.
Včera som zostal veľmi skeptický voči veľmi drsnému zvuku a skresleniu. Po chvíli som zistil, že to bolo prebudené okolo EQ. Stiahol som zosilnenie na -7 a zvuk sa vyčistil.
Ekvalizér funguje dobre samozrejme cez bluetooth. Použite priamo v aplikácii cez USB. Zabudol som ho a pripojil som sa k usb. Na vypnutie EQ som musel použiť výrobné nastavenia. To si musíte potrebovať.
Z hľadiska výkonu je samozrejme Q15 na vrchole trojky. Potom Sony a M3S ako najslabší z nich. Slúchadlá Gjallarhorn GH50 JM 33OhM, 116dB.
Q15 V porovnaní so Shanlingom má viac detailov, razancie, viac priestoru, lepšie oddelenie, akoby bol každý nástroj viac oddelený od ostatných.
Shanling: Spevák je skôr v hlave poslucháča. Na Q15 je viac miest, je pôsobivejšia. Shanling má v nízkych frekvenciách niečo, čo je po dlhom počúvaní únavné a otravné. Basy nie sú zrastené, ale niečo tam hučí. Nie je to v každej skladbe, ale väčšinou. Plynulosť a hladkosť sú pravdepodobne porovnateľné pre obe.
Q15 znie celkom dobre, pekne, za cenu 400 Eur asi OK. V období som iné prehrávače v tejto cenovej kategórii 400Eur neskúšal
Zdá sa, že Sony je upokojujúce. Zvuk Sony sa mi zdá vyzretejší. Hudba plynie hladko, bez otrasov. Možno je to môj dojem, možno je to tým, že Sony má väčšie telo. Všetko ostatné sa deje okolo neho. A možno má Q15 väčšie rozlíšenie.
Včera som mal dojem, že Q15 je plochý. Buď som si na neho zvykol, alebo je to psychoakustika, alebo neviem. Dnes striedam troch hráčov a nemám tento pocit.
Berte ma prosim s rezervou, nie som odbornik na tieto veci. O nejaký čas napíšem ako to hrá s koncovým zosilňovačom a reproduktormi. prajem všetkým pevné zdravie.

If you want to try something that is better than the Sony you should have tried a Shanling H7... (personal opinion)
Thank you for your response. I wasn't looking for anything better sounding than the Sony WM1Z. Paired with my headphones it plays perfectly for me. I was looking for a dac for an amplifier with several kinds of inputs. Something universal, with quality sound. Now I found it.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #410 of 799
What cable would you use to power the Q15 from the PL50?
I bought that from AliExpress :
Je viens juste de trouver cet incroyable article sur AliExpress. Jetez-y un coup d'œil ! 2,68€ Réduction de 45% | Convertisseur de câble de charge rapide USB Type C PD, adaptateur d'alimentation CC vers connecteur USB C PD, Dell, Hp, Bali, Lenovo, Samsung, ordinateur portable, 100W
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHIgNoH

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #411 of 799
Thankfully, my first very brief impression is good. I hear nice detail and soundstage while retaining musicality. Not sterile like my Topping G5. Will most likely update after I have more time to listen. I got this because it was just $100 more than some competing dongles and it seems to be very much worth the additional cost.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #413 of 799
Is good but to tranparent and not 🍖 sound more analitical than musical typical fiio sound bul less glare than tipical fiio thx ess combo with i hate the most....shanling h5 sound better than this but lack features of this...always compromise in audio 🌎
Maybe pairing with warmer sounding headphones/IEMs? Sony MDR-Z7's?

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #415 of 799
Took a second listen today for about 40 minutes. The immersive sound is impressive as well as the build quality, but I think I may have started to notice some artificiality on lower res music files. I’m somewhat of a timber head, so please take that with a grain of salt as some people may not mind.

I should mention I’m streaming Apple Music out of an iPhone 13.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #416 of 799
Also, I personally don’t believe people should knock the Q15 for being analytical or transparent because it’s simply a trait that some people may prefer. The real question is how well it does what it does. Again still listening, but my impression is it’s musical and enjoyable with good sound immersion/detail and solid build quality striking me most initially. No it’s not as good or analogue as my mojo 2 to my ears, but it also seems overall like a much better value than the dongles I own.

In short, I would probably say at worst it may sound somewhat artificial to some but at this price point, I don’t think that should be an issue for most.

I think I’m starting to really appreciate the attributes the Q15 brings to the table, and would quickly miss them if I return the unit.

I was essentially looking for another flavor in a portable player, and I think I found it with the Q15. For example, I tried the Cayin RU7 before and was not impressed.

I have not even touched all the options available such as filters, eq., etc. so…,

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #419 of 799

The new firmware v1.82 for Q15 is now available!​

8751905.jpg

Firmware download link and update instruction: Click here

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back