FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #601 of 765
Did you change between USB and BT when listening to the same song? There is a glitch that reactivates PEQ and thus applies a negative pre-amp value making the sound quieter.
Nope didnt use BT at all. I think what trigger the bug was notification. It sound quieter but never came back to normal level.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #603 of 765
Yes it’s in the last choice of the third « page » in the menu
Hi,

I also seem to have got a Chinese menu and can't get it to change to English. I can't navigate to that page in the screenshot of @Chieffred post to select English.
Any help appreciated thanks.

Edit - and within 5 seconds of posting this I noticed in the Quick Guide booklet that it says to hold power button for 10 secs if it hangs. This resets the player. Hopefully helps the next person who gets stuck!!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #604 of 765
I have a problem using the USB connected to my phone. Sound comes out of phone rather than through headphones. I noticed a notification on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S24 +) that says "high powered usb device connected use an external power supply"
Anybody else come across this or know how to fix?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #605 of 765
I have a problem using the USB connected to my phone. Sound comes out of phone rather than through headphones. I noticed a notification on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S24 +) that says "high powered usb device connected use an external power supply"

Thanks.
There are some strange goings on. I connected the Q15 to an iPad and it works perfectly. So I tried the phone again and this time it worked, a pop up came up asking if I wanted to use Roon ARC or USB Audio player pro. I chose Roon ARC and it was working perfectly, sound was coming out the headphones attached to the Q15. I had to disconnect the phone for a bit and when I reconnected the pop up asking which app I wanted to use the DAC with came up very briefly and disappeared, so the DAC could not connect and the sound was coming from phone rather than out of the headphones attached to the DAC. I disconnected the USB seven or eight times without managing to get it to connect to the phone, and in fact the pop up asking which app I wanted to use the DAC with only appeared twice out of these seven or eight attempts.

The obvious thing to suspect would probably be the USB connector on the phone or the DAC but the phone is just a week old and I only got the DAC today, so that is probably unlikely.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #606 of 765

Thanks.
Dear friend,

Are you using the latest firmware in Q15? If not, please try to update it and check again. We have improved the problem you mentioned in latest firmware.
Firmware download link:
https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202311221710377480434&tid=77

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 16, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #607 of 765

Thanks.
I got a similar message on my iPhone initially. Just turned the "Phone mode" knob on Q15 to "On" position, and it started to work (after reconnecting). Without the phone mode Q15 will try to drain the phone battery, so the phone says it cannot provide enough current to Q15 via USB/Lightning connection.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #608 of 765
Dear friend,

Are you using the latest firmware in Q15? If not, please try to update it and check again. We have improved the problem you mentioned in latest firmware.
Firmware download link:
https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202311221710377480434&tid=77

Best regards
Thanks for reply.

At the moment I am a bit reluctant to do a firmware update till I am more familiar with the Q15 (having just got it yesterday), and also because on the FiiO website firmware page there are comments from users who say the Q15 "bricked" after doing a firmware update.
If you notice in one of my posts above I pointed out that my phone displayed "high powered usb device connected, use an external power supply", this got me thinking that perhaps there wasn't enough power getting through so I charged the Q15 using the "Power In" USB charging port at the same time as trying to get my phone to connect to the Q15 to play music via USB setting and this worked successfully. Once the Q15 had fully charged to 100% I stopped charging from the Power In charging port and now the Q15 is recognised by my phone and I can now play music successfully. When I first encountered this problem the Q15 was not 100% charged but was 82% so surely that should have been enough to play music via USB connected to my phone? It will be interesting to see if the problem re-occurs when the Q15 battery level falls to a certain % that is not enough to power the connection between my phone and the Q15.

ps - how do I actually check which version of firmware that the Q15 is on? The only thing I could see in the menu was a setting called "version" and that just showed what looked like a date format, there was nothing that said v.182 or any other v.nnn.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #609 of 765
I got a similar message on my iPhone initially. Just turned the "Phone mode" knob on Q15 to "On" position, and it started to work (after reconnecting). Without the phone mode Q15 will try to drain the phone battery, so the phone says it cannot provide enough current to Q15 via USB/Lightning connection.
Thanks for reply. Just saw your post after I posted my reply above. I did have phone mode to On so that did not seem to be the issue for me, but who knows? :relaxed:

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #610 of 765
Thanks for reply.

At the moment I am a bit reluctant to do a firmware update till I am more familiar with the Q15 (having just got it yesterday), and also because on the FiiO website firmware page there are comments from users who say the Q15 "bricked" after doing a firmware update.
If you notice in one of my posts above I pointed out that my phone displayed "high powered usb device connected, use an external power supply", this got me thinking that perhaps there wasn't enough power getting through so I charged the Q15 using the "Power In" USB charging port at the same time as trying to get my phone to connect to the Q15 to play music via USB setting and this worked successfully. Once the Q15 had fully charged to 100% I stopped charging from the Power In charging port and now the Q15 is recognised by my phone and I can now play music successfully. When I first encountered this problem the Q15 was not 100% charged but was 82% so surely that should have been enough to play music via USB connected to my phone? It will be interesting to see if the problem re-occurs when the Q15 battery level falls to a certain % that is not enough to power the connection between my phone and the Q15.

ps - how do I actually check which version of firmware that the Q15 is on? The only thing I could see in the menu was a setting called "version" and that just showed what looked like a date format, there was nothing that said v.182 or any other v.nnn.
The problem has re-occurred and the Q15 had only got down to 97% battery. Recharged to 100% and now ok again and works, but I can't always maintain 100% battery all the time obviously. According to the quick guide if I switch phone mode to "off" the phone will charge the Q15 (which could maintain the Q15 battery at 100%) but if I select phone mode to "off" the phone and the Q15 lose connection.

It shouldn't need this amount of intervention surely?

ps - can somebody tell me how to check firmware version on Q15, as I said in an earlier post I'm not sure if navigating to "version" in the menu shows it properly?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #611 of 765
The problem has re-occurred and the Q15 had only got down to 97% battery. Recharged to 100% and now ok again and works, but I can't always maintain 100% battery all the time obviously. According to the quick guide if I switch phone mode to "off" the phone will charge the Q15 (which could maintain the Q15 battery at 100%) but if I select phone mode to "off" the phone and the Q15 lose connection.

It shouldn't need this amount of intervention surely?

ps - can somebody tell me how to check firmware version on Q15, as I said in an earlier post I'm not sure if navigating to "version" in the menu shows it properly?
Just update the firmware like @FiiO has suggested.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #613 of 765
I will do that eventually but I have to go out soon aand will probably need to leave till tonight or tomorrow. But if I am already on the latest firmware there would be no point updating again, if that's even possible. How do I check which version I am on?
There is the update instruction.
You can see the current version before the update.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #614 of 765
There is the update instruction.
You can see the current version before the update.
I''m not sure I know what you mean.

As I said previously, in the menu I cannot see a version number, just a date. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place which is why I am asking somebody to tell me where in the menu I can see current firmware version.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #615 of 765
I''m not sure I know what you mean.

As I said previously, in the menu I cannot see a version number, just a date. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place which is why I am asking somebody to tell me where in the menu I can see current firmware version.
The software used to update the firmware also shows the current version, so you can check it there without updating anything. In the menu it only shows the date of last update, not the version, which I agree is a weird choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back