FIIO Q15 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #316 of 783
The DAC has arrived. Slightly thick and did not fit into the phone stand. You'll have to make a new one and print it on 3d printer. I won’t write anything about the sound yet. It takes some time to listen.
IMG_20240105_161215.jpg
IMG_20240105_161229.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #317 of 783
With newest firmware when in deskop mode everytime gain automatic on ultra gain?
This is stupid will be better memorize previous settings for gain..i don t need automatic ultra gain but deskop mode to bypass the battery and have ultra gain in option but not automatically enabled only manual will be far better not every time go-to settings and change to previous gain mode?

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #318 of 783
With newest firmware when in deskop mode everytime gain automatic on ultra gain?
This is stupid will be better memorize previous settings for gain..i don t need automatic ultra gain but deskop mode to bypass the battery and have ultra gain in option but not automatically enabled only manual will be far better not every time go-to settings and change to previous gain mode?
no it's only if you are in desktop mode AND you feed the USB C charging port that you will be put in ultra gain. if no USB C charge the gain stay the last one used. I agree that it can be bother some but maybe in the future ?

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #319 of 783
I have FDX and FX15, the FDX being the nearer in conception to FD5 (basically FD7/X are considered as having the same sound tuning as FD5 but with alittle more soundstage, mids, bass and treble but again with the same kind of tuning) and with Q15 which is on warmer side no hiss with both FX15 and FDX, on Q7 it can happen as it is a neutral tuning and so treble are not tammed by a touch of warmth.
Great selection. The FiiO FX15 is currently one of the most interesting iem at the market with it’s electrostatic drivers. I also like the design very much.

Is it sound wise a good fit with the Q15?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #321 of 783
I can't find the instructions for installing the firmware on Q15.
How safe is it?
In the forum, one wrote that he received a brick after installation.
I installed Q15 xmos v1.59 firmware successfully without problems, but later tried to install v1.66 and got "brick". Apparently this is a widespread problem. And it’s not clear from the documentation how to reset to factory settings, does anyone know?

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #323 of 783
I installed Q15 xmos v1.59 firmware successfully without problems, but later tried to install v1.66 and got "brick". Apparently this is a widespread problem. And it’s not clear from the documentation how to reset to factory settings, does anyone know?
I updated to 1.66 and had no problems.
Inside the zip file “Q15 XMOS V1.66 Firmware.zip” is a word file.
Did you follow this instructions?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #324 of 783
Indide the zip file “Q15 XMOS V1.66 Firmware.zip” is a word file.
Indide the zip file “Q15 XMOS V1.66 Firmware.zip” is a word file.
Of course. The instruction is almost the same as for v1.59, the difference in section: "8. If Updating is displayed for more than 5 minutes, you can re-insert the USB cable and open the upgrade tool to upgrade the firmware again. After the upgrade is complete, the device will reboot. If it still shows Updating, you can press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to reset, and then try to upgrade again. However, please note that if the machine is reset twice during the upgrade process, it will cause the machine to malfunction and fail to boot. It may be necessary to mail the machine to us for repair." As far as I remember there were no two reboots.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #325 of 783
You can turn off auto-switching to Ultra Gain in the settings.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #328 of 783
Hi there, I seem to have some significant connection issue with Q15 to my smartphone.

On "default mode" (both phone+desktop mode off status) it keeps showing these reoccurring error messages like 10 times per minute as attached and doesn't play music at all.

If I only activate the "phone mode" (desktop off), it seems to get connected to my smartphone successfully and plays music, however even on "phone mode" occasionally it fails to play music. To troubleshoot this matter, Q15 either requires multiple reboots or converting to "desktop mode" first and then returning back to "phone mode".

The only mode it plays music constantly without any issues, is when I use the "desktop mode" (phone off) setting while it being connected to the AC outlet simultaneously.

Is this an user error or rather an internal software issue? This constant connection issue prevents me to use q15 on the go.

In general, what is the proper usage of q15 when a smartphone is used as source? @FiiO Willson

Attachments

• PXL_20231231_051719908.jpg
    PXL_20231231_051719908.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231231_051720993.jpg
    PXL_20231231_051720993.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231231-000308.png
    Screenshot_20231231-000308.png
    188 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231231-001559.png
    Screenshot_20231231-001559.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231231-001759.png
    Screenshot_20231231-001759.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #329 of 783
Hi there, I seem to have some significant connection issue with Q15 to my smartphone.

On "default mode" (both phone+desktop mode off status) it keeps showing these reoccurring error messages as attached and don't play music at all.

If I activate the "phone mode on" only, it seems to get connected to my smartphone successfully and plays music, however even on "phone mode" occasionally it fails to play music. To troubleshoot this matter, Q15 either requires multiple reboots or converting to "desktop mode" first and then returning back to "phone mode".

The only mode it plays music constantly without any issues, is when I use the "desktop mode" setting while it being connected to the AC outlet simultaneously.

Is this an user error or rather an internal software issue? This constant connection issue prevents me to use q15 on the go.

In general, what is the proper usage of q15 when a smartphone is used as source? @FiiO Willson
Use "Phone mode ON" on the go, this way Q15 uses internal battery, not the source's one. Seems, your phone can't provide enough power to Q15 when you turn "Phone mode" OFF - that's the reason of these flooding notifications on the phone.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #330 of 783
Great selection. The FiiO FX15 is currently one of the most interesting iem at the market with it’s electrostatic drivers. I also like the design very much.

Is it sound wise a good fit with the Q15?
Yes the Q15 tame a little the treble that could have been piercing with something more neutral so yes good combination and FX15 benefit of the reserve of power of the Q15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back