FIIO OTG Support Thread
Jun 1, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #91 of 111
Hello.
@FiiO-Yellow
Thanks for your fast reply.
I do not yell the F Word.
Will it come back in a other FW Version?
This Feature whas nice because i did a
JAZZ STICK and a
ROCK STICK and a
CLASSIC Stck and a
XXXXX Stick and a ...................................................................

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #92 of 111
Listen and Learn;

FIIO has made it clear that OTG is not coming back to the X3 Gen II or X5 Gen II. 

The official statement is that the OTG firmware made connections via USB for file transfers unstable.  I never had those issues on my X3 Gen II, but FIIO has stated that others did.

Personally I would rather have the capability put back in; maybe with a slider to turn it off if needed.  But that will never happen, I presume.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #93 of 111

Oh yes, I have it in a stack with the X5 and E12. battery life is probably shortened a bit, but I haven't measured how much. I have 2 64gb cards in the X5 plus 512gb on the SSD. Nearly 19,000 FLAC lossless plus a few hundred hi-res FLAC files at my fingertips !!

Is this setup still working considering FIIO have abandoned OTG support? I'm strongly considering switching up to an X5 but OTG support was a big seller...

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #94 of 111
Yes it does still work, I have firmware 2.6 and didn't upgrade to the final version where it got disabled. Annoyingly the otg can't be scanned into the library so you're stuck with navigating by folders. It's very picky about what ssd it works with, I have the integral 512gb and it works perfectly for me.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #95 of 111
Yes it does still work, I have firmware 2.6 and didn't upgrade to the final version where it got disabled. Annoyingly the otg can't be scanned into the library so you're stuck with navigating by folders. It's very picky about what ssd it works with, I have the integral 512gb and it works perfectly for me.

Ah, is it possible to select which firmware you upgrade to?

I'm a big music shuffler and the 5,800 file limit is making me leery. I'm guessing it won't even shuffle through the SSD?

How does it not scanning into the library affect it? Do you just have to be quite discerning about folder arrangement?

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #96 of 111
I have 64gb in tf1 and 128gb in tf2, those both have 16/44 flack and hi really files so I don't hit any file limits. Player can shuffle those two no problem. If I want to shuffle files on the otg I have to put them in a big fat play list and the shuffle the play list. In total I have 21000 tracks across all my storage and I made a play list with all the tracks but the x5 couldn't load it. I reckon you could probably make a play list with about 10000 tunes and get that to shuffle, but it would take a couple of minutes to open it.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #97 of 111
I have 64gb in tf1 and 128gb in tf2, those both have 16/44 flack and hi really files so I don't hit any file limits. Player can shuffle those two no problem. If I want to shuffle files on the otg I have to put them in a big fat play list and the shuffle the play list. In total I have 21000 tracks across all my storage and I made a play list with all the tracks but the x5 couldn't load it. I reckon you could probably make a play list with about 10000 tunes and get that to shuffle, but it would take a couple of minutes to open it.

Eh, I was expecting to make compromises. The bottomline is I work at sea and 3 iPod 160GB's mean I have to pick which selection of music I take and have discographies split over devices which isn't great.

I was looking at the rather neat solution you had or the iBasso DX80. Most of my files are parsed down to 192kbps, as while it would be nice to have lossless files I'm more concerned about the portability of my collection when I'm a fairly transient person. Maybe even the Lootoo PAW 5000, but that seems to have a very basic UI.

Thanks for your responses, I've got a better idea what I'm looking for now, most folk seem to think I'm trying to port 90,000 FLAC files to a 200gb MicroSD when you read some of the responses I've got asking about other devices!

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #98 of 111

Just another question, do you think it could handle the same setup with higher capacity microSD's on board? Like the San Disk 200gb MicroSD's + the Integral SSD? That'd be an insane amount of capacity, but probably troublesome parsing down files to meet the 5,800 file limit...

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #100 of 111
Yes I don't see why not. I'm not sure if that 5800 limit still exists anyway.

Hi, russel finch. 

The slow speed on opening a playlist containing 210,000 tracks is because both the clock speed of the CPU and the RAM on the X5 are limited. 
So it may take some time to load the large tracks info.
As for one playlist, in general, it may be better to just add about 1,000 tracks to it. 

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #101 of 111

Thanks for the note. I did make a 21,000 song list but the x5 only managed to open it once. My current queue playlist has about 3,000 songs and that one opens in about 15 seconds, so the x5 can cope with that pretty well.  

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #102 of 111

Thanks for the note. I did make a 21,000 song list but the x5 only managed to open it once. My current queue playlist has about 3,000 songs and that one opens in about 15 seconds, so the x5 can cope with that pretty well.  

Does your external 3,000 song playlist include the OTG drive?  I haven't been able to play external playlists from songs on the OTG.  The X5 can see the playlists but will not select or play them.  I first tried a playlist containing all the songs on the OTG, about 1,000.  I then tried a playlist of about 10 songs.  Thinking maybe there was a limit.  Neither worked.  The external playlists work fine on the both tf1 and tf2.  Also, have you been able to create external playlists which include songs from different drives: tf1, tf2 and OTG?

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #104 of 111
Here's an extract of one of mine - I have alphabetical folders on both sd cards (TF1 and TF2) and on my additional OTG storage, and each album within the alphabetical folders. Store the playlist on TF1.

#EXTM3U
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\07 - The Smiths - Unhappy Birthday.flac
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\08 - The Smiths - Paint A Vulgar Picture.flac
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\09 - The Smiths - Death At One's Elbow.flac
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\10 - The Smiths - I Won't Share You.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\01 - Majical Cloudz - Impersonator.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\02 - Majical Cloudz - This is Magic.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\03 - Majical Cloudz - Childhood's End.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\04 - Majical Cloudz - I Do Sing For You.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\05 - Majical Cloudz - Mister.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\06 - Majical Cloudz - Turns Turns Turns.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\07 - Majical Cloudz - Silver Rings.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\08 - Majical Cloudz - Illusion.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\09 - Majical Cloudz - Bugs Don't Buzz.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\10 - Majical Cloudz - Notebook.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\01 - The Colourfield - Thinking Of You.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\02 - The Colourfield - Faint Hearts.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\03 - The Colourfield - Castles In The Air.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\04 - The Colourfield - Take.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\05 - The Colourfield - Cruel Circus.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\06 - The Colourfield - Hammond Song.flac

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #105 of 111
  Here's an extract of one of mine - I have alphabetical folders on both sd cards (TF1 and TF2) and on my additional OTG storage, and each album within the alphabetical folders. Store the playlist on TF1.

#EXTM3U
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\07 - The Smiths - Unhappy Birthday.flac
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\08 - The Smiths - Paint A Vulgar Picture.flac
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\09 - The Smiths - Death At One's Elbow.flac
OTG:\S\The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come (24-96)\10 - The Smiths - I Won't Share You.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\01 - Majical Cloudz - Impersonator.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\02 - Majical Cloudz - This is Magic.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\03 - Majical Cloudz - Childhood's End.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\04 - Majical Cloudz - I Do Sing For You.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\05 - Majical Cloudz - Mister.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\06 - Majical Cloudz - Turns Turns Turns.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\07 - Majical Cloudz - Silver Rings.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\08 - Majical Cloudz - Illusion.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\09 - Majical Cloudz - Bugs Don't Buzz.flac
tf1:\m\majical cloudz - impersonator\10 - Majical Cloudz - Notebook.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\01 - The Colourfield - Thinking Of You.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\02 - The Colourfield - Faint Hearts.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\03 - The Colourfield - Castles In The Air.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\04 - The Colourfield - Take.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\05 - The Colourfield - Cruel Circus.flac
TF2:\c\The Colourfield - Virgins And Philistines\06 - The Colourfield - Hammond Song.flac

It's taken me a few weeks, but I have the x5ii set up the way I wanted it.  My goal was to get my 12,000+ song library loaded onto the x5ii, set it to shuffle mode and let it play.

Many, Many thanks for the response and sample playlist.  Based on posts elsewhere, I had removed the drive letters entirely.
Using tf1, tf2 and otg I can now get my playlist to span all 3 drives. I also needed to move the playlist to tf1. The X5ii
would not read the playlist when it was on the otg.

A couple of other issues were that the X5ii was at FW1.1. It would play one song from the otg and stop. Upgrading to FW1.2 fixed that.
I also struggled a bit with the otg drive itself. I first had a 128gb USB drive that has a Phison controller. It worked fine when playing songs only from the otg drive. When in shuffle mode though, the otg drive would disconnect after playing the first song from the drive.
I had success moving to a micro sdx card using one of the monprice adapters mentioned in an earlier post.

My final setup has 128gb and 200gb cards in the X5ii and a 128gb micro sd connected via otg. All the songs are in flac format and loaded on the 3 drives, with room for growth. I have a playlist that contains all 12,000+ songs. It takes about 3.5 minutes to load.
Once loaded, it plays in shuffle mode without problems.

Thanks again for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back