Fiio New Product, Dock to Line Out and USB Converter L11 Comming Soon!
Jun 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:
its called bluetooth? but that limits quality. Or just use streaming upnp/dnla streaming apps, over wifi. But that eats battery. so pick your poison.

I see absolutely no reason to make a portable amp for this.

I mean, I want something like this (L11) but as amplifier

the E1 has very long cable (even though it is close to what I want)

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:
Finally! A reasonably priced LOD + Charger.

Any word on international distributors? Fiio cables tend to be extremely overpriced here in Australia (about a 200% markup.) I normally buy fiio products from mp4nation.

Yeah, would definetely need a local distibutor, everything here is too expensive...

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #33 of 47
Aug 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #36 of 47
Bought one from Micca's Amazon store a few days ago, very excited as I miss the audio I used to get out of my L3 before time took it's toll (a little over a year, I think, of heavy portable use). Using it with my iPod in my pocket was the death of the old LOD Cable, I think this one will be much better.

I heard one person mention an E12 to succeed the (well regarded) E11. If this may be true, I may have a reason to upgrade from my E5 now that I have a pair of AKG Q701s that everyone tells me is difficult to properly drive.

Thanks for your work and energy!

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #38 of 47
From what I understand, it does not bypass the iPod's (or iDevice's) Digital-to-Analogue-Converter, just bypasses the amp to output a line-out signal from the DAC. External DACs for iDevices like you are talking about run for about $500 US.

Still, this was made for using with an external amp, and it makes a noticeable improvement with my FiiO amp or when connecting to my car radio. IMO this is the best LOD, no cables to fray so you can use your own at your preferred length (my E5 came with a medium-length cable and a really short one for when you don't need slack), really small so you can safely store it in a coin pocket or wherever.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #39 of 47
do you think this improves the sound of the dac line out in the ipod classic and have a cleaner signal output and also would i be able to listen to my music on the go without a amp just from a adapter would it be alright? and currently i have some monster turbines with sony hybird tips i havent yet got this adapter when i orderd do you think this be a good setup for 6th generation classic 80gb jw

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 47
nikkifm said:
.do you think this improves the sound of the dac line out in the ipod classic and have a cleaner signal output and also would i be able to listen to my music on the go without a amp just from a adapter would it be alright? and currently i have some monster turbines with sony hybird tips i havent yet got this adapter when i orderd do you think this be a good setup for 6th generation classic 80gb

It doesn't do anything to the DAC, it just bypasses the amp. So, instead of music file--> DAC--> Amp--> Headphone Jack, it would be like music file--> DAC--> FiiO L11. Then you can plug in a more powerful headphone amp without the distortion of amping twice. The iPod's built in amp isn't bad, but even the cheap FiiO E6 is, IMO, cleaner and more powerful. I will say that when I connect my 5th gen iPod 30GB to my car stereo or home theater, the sound is better defined and more even (less harsh treble, no signal clipping) when I use the L11 than when I used to connect them through the iPod's headphone port. I will be using the L11 with my new headphone amp and AKG Q701s, once the amp arrives :wink:

A true line-out signal like the one from the L11 avoids any of the gain and character of the iPod's built-in amp, but without using any amp you can't change the loudness or quietness of the volume. You can turn the volume display all the way down on the iPod, and it will play just as loudly as turning the volume all the way up. Your monster turbines might be too loud when connected straight to the line-out. You will probably also need a headphone amp.

You can connect your iPod to your home theater like I do when I'm home, but FiiO offers some of the best inexpensive portable amps. An E6 is pretty good and very cheap, small too, so you can have your iPod in your pants or backpack and clip the E6 to your shirt or a strap to control the volume without taking out your iPod. The E7 is like a larger E6 that can also act as a DAC for your computer. The E10 is an Amp/DAC that can only be used with a computer. The E11 ($55 from Micca on Amazon last time I checked, including an extra battery and wall charger) is a more powerful amp; at the same volumes as the iPod or E6, music will be more dynamic, tight, and lively. It's basically like an upgraded E6. The E17 is basically like an upgraded E7, it is also an amp for any device (like iPod) combined with a DAC that you can use when plugged into a computer.; It has almost; as much power as the E11, and it also offers customizable equalizer settings for bass, mids, and treble. There is also an update for the E7 coming soon, and two more high-end models coming to sit above the E11 and E17, which will be like having the power of Zeus in your pocket! @o@

Head-Fi member ClieOS has tested more portable amps than me (and I am jealous), if you search for his posts he has a sub-$100 and sub-$200 amp comparison thread with some great impressions written on them.

Hope this helps, and that I spoke clearly enough for you to get the gist of what's going on. I intend to write a thread on headphones, gaming, and myths this week, so keep a lookout for it!

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #41 of 47
thanks for the info where can i get a good deal on a e17? and aslo i could mybe get a protable dac on the go and how much of improvements of the sound does the e17 make from the ipod 6th generation line out do you know from going while using the L11 lod

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #42 of 47
The E17 can't act as a DAC for an iPod either. I said in the paragraph that the DAC works when plugged into a computer. Only with a computer. Just like the E7, which is why I said it's just like an upgraded E7. I'll make that section bold for you.

FiiO has a list of authorized resellers for their products (the only deals you can find).

Here is an example of what it costs to get an external DAC for iPod, all the options I've seen are about the same or more expensive:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=868993&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Here is a thread talking about what you want to do.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/ipod-dac-1

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #43 of 47
Nikkifm,

Basically, if you don't have $300 headphones or up, it's not worth getting an external DAC.

Worry first about high quality music files (like iTunes Plus or even better Apple Lossless), then get a good midrange pair of headphones, like a Grado or something around $100 (not Beats or Bose, you can get better sound at less cost). Only after you have that, I'd say get an L11 and at least an E6 to control volume, though the E11 will be a better investment long-term. The LOD and Amp will make less of a difference than better sound files or good headphones. Finally, an external DAC makes even less of a difference, a difference so small that you won't be able to hear it except on the very best headphones (which cost around $300 and up) and if your ears are very sensitive.

The iPod Classic's built-in DAC is very good already, so honestly it's not really worth worrying about in a portable situation.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #45 of 47
What's a tf-10s? If it's a headphone, you would still require an amp. The point of the L11 is to send an uncolored sound to an external amp.

If you still want an external DAC, read this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1315667/list-of-devices-that-bypass-ipods-internal-dac
That thread lists devices that act as transports between an iPod and an external DAC, like a FiiO E7 or E10. Also, search Google for info on the iStreamer.

Interesting thing I found out, but not useful to you since you have an iPod, is that iPads and the iPhone 4S and 5 can connect to a USB DAC through use of the Apple Camera Kit's USB port! And if you have a device compatible with apple's HDMI adapter, you can use a home theater receiver as a DAC!

However, HOWEVER, it bears repeating that the Wolfson DAC in the iPod is pretty good, it's the headphone out port that degrades sound quality. I still say just get the L11 and an E11 "Kilimanjaro" amp, you will clearly hear an improvement with any headphone. Ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back