FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #2,266 of 3,739
If defective products ruined brands for me... I'd hate quite a few companies. You can't expect perfection every time. Fiio overall has been exceptional to me. Even after owning higher end products, I know I can go back to Fiio for affordable, yet high quality goods. I'm currently on my 3rd E17, and all three have been perfect. After owning two E5s, E7, E9, E9K, three E17s, E12, D3, D03K, only the D3 crapped out on me.

If you don't mind me asking, why is it that you're on your third E17?

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #2,267 of 3,739
I'm a bit impulsive. back when I got my first one, I sold it off to fund for something else. Same with the second. This time, I'll be keeping the E17 until Fiio releases one with the power of the E12.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,268 of 3,739
Originally Posted by widds2v /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The other issue is the rapid pulses of beeps/squelches when I plug a pair of headphones in and it is charging, which is odd because it says you can use it while charging.. so I'm not sure what the issue could be there.

That's normal, the E12 has no shielding whatsoever on the USB input. The noise is coming from your computer electronics, mine does the same, too. On the other hand, it's almost silent when attached to a wall charger... Actually it's dead silent at safe listening levels, I can still hear some noise (like a really faint hiss) only if I turn the volume knob towards MAX (with no music playing), however I simply can't listen to music in this state as my ears would explode along with the headphone drivers.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,269 of 3,739
That's normal, the E12 has no shielding whatsoever on the USB input. The noise is coming from your computer electronics, mine does the same, too. On the other hand, it's almost silent when attached to a wall charger... Actually it's dead silent at safe listening levels, I can still hear some noise (like a really faint hiss) only if I turn the volume knob towards MAX (with no music playing), however I simply can't listen to music in this state as my ears would explode along with the headphone drivers. :D

2x this experience, even plugging in the USB to mains power (the wall) or a power strip creates noise artifacts. This is just the cost of charging a battery while using the power. I just don't use mine while charging. Yours should've arrived with a fair bit of charge on it, did you listen before plugging in? Also, the manual states that there could be an error if it blinks very fast, but quicker pulsing usually just means it's connected to a power source that will charge it faster. Look up the smart charging circuit in your manual, widds2v.

Not saying it couldn't be defective, but I am saying it may be operating normally. I just don't recommend using it like a desktop amp always plugged into the wall.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,270 of 3,739
2x this experience, even plugging in the USB to mains power (the wall) or a power strip creates noise artifacts. This is just the cost of charging a battery while using the power. I just don't use mine while charging. Yours should've arrived with a fair bit of charge on it, did you listen before plugging in? Also, the manual states that there could be an error if it blinks very fast, but quicker pulsing usually just means it's connected to a power source that will charge it faster. Look up the smart charging circuit in your manual, widds2v.

Not saying it couldn't be defective, but I am saying it may be operating normally. I just don't recommend using it like a desktop amp always plugged into the wall.

No it's definitely defective. Sending it back to Headroom.. they gave me a shipping label to send it back. It holds zero charge. I can leave it plugged in for six hours, unplug it and it wont turn on. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #2,272 of 3,739
Bought the mont blanc. Without it my M100s sound lighter. Only can hear a little difference between the two. Considering a return, if allowed by Addicted To Audio.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2,274 of 3,739
Between non-amped ipod and amped ipod.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,275 of 3,739
I believe you will notice a difference if you have a higher quality amp. The M100's are so efficient, they really dont need amping, but when I did try them on a very clean amp the sound was amazing and it made a huge difference.

To me, the E12 is more suited for hard to drive/power hungry headphones versus efficient cans or IEM's.

My .02

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2,277 of 3,739
I believe you will notice a difference if you have a higher quality amp. The M100's are so efficient, they really dont need amping, but when I did try them on a very clean amp the sound was amazing and it made a huge difference.

To me, the E12 is more suited for hard to drive/power hungry headphones versus efficient cans or IEM's.

My .02
Between non-amped ipod and amped ipod.

Try the C5 or O2. I have heard people saying both of them work fine with M-100

Not spending any more money on audio equipment this year.
See image:
2h55npg.jpg

Also you guys should of been around to tell me this earlier. :/

It's weird. The amp changes tiny details, then switch a song, and BAM. The whole song benefits.
Yeah, it's a good amp, but I need to return it if I can / resell it as it doesn't work as good for fine-tuned headphones like V-Moda.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,278 of 3,739
See image:

It's weird. The amp changes tiny details, then switch a song, and BAM. The whole song benefits.
Yeah, it's a good amp, but I need to return it if I can / resell it as it doesn't work as good for fine-tuned headphones like V-Moda.

Let me know if you make it the rest of the year, I tell myself this is the last thing for awhile and I think I've made it about a month or so.

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #2,279 of 3,739
See image:

Let me know if you make it the rest of the year, I tell myself this is the last thing for awhile and I think I've made it about a month or so.

I don't need any more audio equipment, besides a refund of the mont blanc or a impedance adapter. I'll be fine lol.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,280 of 3,739
Yeah I wouldn't have recommended the E12 for an efficient low impedance high sensitivity bass can like the M100. Maybe the JDS C5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back