FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Sep 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2,251 of 3,739
Some more frequency response fun for the E12.

1)  ClieOS's review of E12 v1 ("first batch" or initial production run).  Note how the frequency response curve matches that James provided on the first units in the post quoted by waynes world:  

http://www.inearmatters.net/2013/03/impression-fiio-e12-mont-blanc-way-to.html

2)  Jensigner's comparison of E12 v2 (regular production) and the E17.  This curve goes below 20Hz.  Note how the natural response of the E12 starts to fall off at around 30 Hz, and the v2 bass boost puts its maximum gain at 50 Hz but with a steeper rolloff below that, so that the gain at 10Hz is down 3dB from 20Hz when the bass boost is on.  

http://www.jensign.com/FiiOE17/BodePlots/index.html

In fact, it looks like the E12 bass boost on the production run units would probably sound similar to that of the E17 with bass control at +4dB.   The hinge frequency of the E17 tone controls and E12 production bass boost look to be about the same.  ClieOS has done the frequency sweeps for the E17 with full bass boost (+10dB), so I'm guessing a bit here on what +4dB would do, taking into account the frequency tilt of the E12.

http://www.inearmatters.net/2012/01/impression-fiio-e17-alpen.html

Actually, if I had an E12 production model, I'd try the listening test myself (I've got the E12 v1 and the E17). 

EDIT:  Tyll's July 2013 amp data sheet  on innerfidelity.com also shows the rolloff below 20Hz for the E12.  It is pretty obvious when comparing it to the other amps in the data sheet stack.  

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,252 of 3,739
As an aside, if one is good at desoldering/soldering SM components, I am guessing that changing 2 or 4 components would get you to batch 1 specs, if James were willing to provide the info (and all at your risk of course). I could be wrong and more than just the values are changed.
I have done some SM work, it is not too hideously hard but it is fiddly...

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #2,253 of 3,739
That's awfully small for output coupling caps!
They are Probably power supply bypass caps for noise suppression..

Whatever provides the noise suppression, it does a pretty good job IMO.

The difference sounds much more significant than it looks

Oh? I kinda assumed it was the other way around. I haven't heard the "mass production" model, but I assumed it was a minor change to suit tastes.

As an aside, if one is good at desoldering/soldering SM components, I am guessing that changing 2 or 4 components would get you to batch 1 specs, if James were willing to provide the info (and all at your risk of course). I could be wrong and more than just the values are changed.
I have done some SM work, it is not too hideously hard but it is fiddly...

There originally was talk from FiiO about a DIY or modder's version.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,255 of 3,739
Yeah that's what I meant, didn't realize it would be an upgraded limited edition. I thought it was going to be actually DIY without included buffers or OP-AMP, instead of a custom upgrade. I notice they took out the boost and Crossfade function, sounds like a fine trade for "improved performance." I bet there are some very happy pre-orderers out there.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #2,256 of 3,739
I considered pre-ordering after loving the E12 so much, but with my limited (read: non existent) knowledge of any of the technological jargon regarding the innards of FiiO's flagship amp, I held back. Kinda wondering how much I might miss out :x

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2,257 of 3,739
Well... $80 built-to-order OP amps, circuit board cleared of special effects (bass boost and crossfeed) to make more space for wiring improvements (??), new color... Probably an improvement, though for $200 you could still get great desktop amps of comparable quality.

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,258 of 3,739
I think I may have gotten a bad unit... which I hate because it completely ruins a brand for me heh. 

Got the E12 in today, first I brought it over to my PC and plugged the included charging cable into my USB and proceeded to charge it. Light goes red on the battery indicator, starts pulsing slowly, then faster, then pulses super quick (a few times per second). The small instruction manual states if this happens to try a different charging method that offers over 2 amps of flow. So I tried it on my small cube iPhone charger, same thing, noticed that is only a 1 amp charger though. Found one of my older larger brick iPhone chargers which is rated to 2.1 amps and plugged it in.. same issue.

The other issue is the rapid pulses of beeps/squelches when I plug a pair of headphones in and it is charging, which is odd because it says you can use it while charging.. so I'm not sure what the issue could be there.

Has anyone had luck with troubleshooting with FiiO or RMA'ing something back to them, seeing as they are an overseas business?

edit: So if I turn the volume on knob before plugging in the power the light will pulse slowly like normal I assume. I'll leave it like that for a bit and see if it holds a charge.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,260 of 3,739
I think I may have gotten a bad unit... which I hate because it completely ruins a brand for me heh. 

Got the E12 in today, first I brought it over to my PC and plugged the included charging cable into my USB and proceeded to charge it. Light goes red on the battery indicator, starts pulsing slowly, then faster, then pulses super quick (a few times per second). The small instruction manual states if this happens to try a different charging method that offers over 2 amps of flow. So I tried it on my small cube iPhone charger, same thing, noticed that is only a 1 amp charger though. Found one of my older larger brick iPhone chargers which is rated to 2.1 amps and plugged it in.. same issue.

The other issue is the rapid pulses of beeps/squelches when I plug a pair of headphones in and it is charging, which is odd because it says you can use it while charging.. so I'm not sure what the issue could be there.

Has anyone had luck with troubleshooting with FiiO or RMA'ing something back to them, seeing as they are an overseas business?

edit: So if I turn the volume on knob before plugging in the power the light will pulse slowly like normal I assume. I'll leave it like that for a bit and see if it holds a charge.

So you bought directly from Fiio? Email them and see if they will cross ship you one. You will really enjoy this if you get one that works, so try and hold out a little longer.

Sep 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,263 of 3,739
If you go to there website and look at product returns and exchanges and see defective, call the number provided and they will ups one to yo right away.
8008288184 there is the number. I think you should give it another try you will like it, it makes my iPod sound amazing with my se215s.

Thanks for the info. I'll let this keep charging a bit and see if anything changes and if not give them a call tomorrow.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,264 of 3,739
If defective products ruined brands for me... I'd hate quite a few companies. You can't expect perfection every time. Fiio overall has been exceptional to me. Even after owning higher end products, I know I can go back to Fiio for affordable, yet high quality goods. I'm currently on my 3rd E17, and all three have been perfect. After owning two E5s, E7, E9, E9K, three E17s, E12, D3, D03K, only the D3 crapped out on me.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2,265 of 3,739
Not a very fair comparison, but my Matrix M Stage sounds clearer, fuller and more detailed than my E12.
Not very fair because the Matrix costs twice as much and is also a desktop amp.

eww if ur matrix with stock op amp sounds better than the e12 im rather glad i got a pb1 over it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back