FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #3,421 of 3,739
We did drive the HE400i, the AKG K702, SENNHEISER HD650, BEYER DT 880/250. All on low gain. And all sounded better on the E12a. He who rules out the E12a based on the max output, really misses the better sound.
Just saying.....

Other than SNR, what property of the E21A makes it sound better?

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,423 of 3,739
As I said, even though I did not take mine apart to look at the ICs (and the pictures floating around, only show the top PCB with decent resolution), I am pretty confident the E12 has dedicated charging IC, which will take care of all the charging logic for the E12 battery configuration.
This is why I leave mine constantly plugged to the USB, when it sits on my desk, and it has been fine for a while.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #3,424 of 3,739
We did drive the HE400i, the AKG K702, SENNHEISER HD650, BEYER DT 880/250. All on low gain. And all sounded better on the E12a. He who rules out the E12a based on the max output, really misses the better sound.
Just saying.....

not my experience at all. i wanted to like the E12A more than, or at least as much as, my E12 to drive my HD600's. i was hoping this because i like the E12A bass boost more than the E12 (either version). but for me the E12 sounded better with the HD600's (with bass boost off, which is what matters most to me).

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #3,425 of 3,739
As I said, even though I did not take mine apart to look at the ICs (and the pictures floating around, only show the top PCB with decent resolution), I am pretty confident the E12 has dedicated charging IC, which will take care of all the charging logic for the E12 battery configuration.
This is why I leave mine constantly plugged to the USB, when it sits on my desk, and it has been fine for a while.

ok, good to know. my concern was mostly about the negative effect on lifespan from keeping it fully charged most of the time.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #3,426 of 3,739
ok, good to know. my concern was mostly about the negative effect on lifespan from keeping it fully charged most of the time.

I would keep it unplugged when using it to eliminate power line noise.

Of course the E12 has a charging management chip, what do you think makes the red charging light blink? :p

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,427 of 3,739

Of course the E12 has a charging management chip, what do you think makes the red charging light blink?
tongue.gif

Leprechauns?

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #3,428 of 3,739

Of course the E12 has a charging management chip, what do you think makes the red charging light blink?
tongue.gif

yes, i got that and i always do unplug it when in use. i was only asking about what is best to do when not using it. i'd love to have it almost always plugged in when not in use but there was a post or two in the previous pages that said something about the chemistry getting "weird' when kept at 100% all the time (whatever that means), and that cycling is important. perhaps the amount of discharging that happens after using it once or twice is enough to satisfy this recommendation? i'm guessing it is so that's what i'll do.

the only reason i'm so annoyingly concerned about this is that i want to maximize the lifespan of this battery. i have the v1 version and i got it used, so i have no idea what abuse it has taken so far. i really love this amp and am trying to put off for as long as possible the quandary of what to do when the battery gives out, which would be to either find another of these rare v1's (and not knowing the health of that battery), send it to China for battery replacement (ugh), or embark on a new, lengthy hunt for a unit that suits me as well as this one does.

anyway, thanks.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #3,429 of 3,739

yes, i got that and i always do unplug it when in use. i was only asking about what is best to do when not using it. i'd love to have it almost always plugged in when not in use but there was a post or two in the previous pages that said something about the chemistry getting "weird' when kept at 100% all the time (whatever that means), and that cycling is important. perhaps the amount of discharging that happens after using it once or twice is enough to satisfy this recommendation? i'm guessing it is so that's what i'll do.

the only reason i'm so annoyingly concerned about this is that i want to maximize the lifespan of this battery. i have the v1 version and i got it used, so i have no idea what abuse it has taken so far. i really love this amp and am trying to put off for as long as possible the quandary of what to do when the battery gives out, which would be to either find another of these rare v1's (and not knowing the health of that battery), send it to China for battery replacement (ugh), or embark on a new, lengthy hunt for a unit that suits me as well as this one does.

anyway, thanks.

Find someone with some repair skills and read the below link.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40032

I'll bet that all versions open the same way.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,430 of 3,739
Batteries deteriorate with time. This happens to all of them. If you want to preserve them longer, you need to keep them in cold temperatures at about 40..50% charge.
But that defeats the point of having something ready to use when you need :D
I would not worry about the battery, as it will last longer than your interest in the E12. By them time it will have to be replaced, the E15 will be out, with glittering new features, and you will want to grab that one.
Replacing the battery should not be requiring major surgery. Two screws on the back, pull the gain pin, pull the slide where the PSB sits, and replace the battery.
It "should" just have a connector, so soldering might not be involved at all.

Fiio-E12-1-of-1-4.jpg

E12-1-of-1-31.jpg

131220150294f5856ca3bdb402.jpg

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,431 of 3,739
Batteries deteriorate with time. This happens to all of them. If you want to preserve them longer, you need to keep them in cold temperatures at about 40..50% charge.
But that defeats the point of having something ready to use when you need
biggrin.gif

I would not worry about the battery, as it will last longer than your interest in the E12. By them time it will have to be replaced, the E15 will be out, with glittering new features, and you will want to grab that one.
Replacing the battery should not be requiring major surgery. Two screws on the back, pull the gain pin, pull the slide where the PSB sits, and replace the battery.

Fiio-E12-1-of-1-4.jpg

E12-1-of-1-31.jpg

131220150294f5856ca3bdb402.jpg

what is fiio e15?..

also, as far as SQ goes, e12 and e12a are just so neutral that they can compete with amps at any price, i love the fact that they are very colorless! But i really do think that if the batterry is protected against over-charge and bump charge, we are more than fine!

the only thing i can ask, is if anyone managed to replace the battery, as this would actually be good, but i remember fiio saying that they would change it personally, but also considering the low price, i might get the next thing they create when batterry dies.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3,432 of 3,739
I made the E15 up :D , just to message the fact that by the time you might need to replace the battery, other more interesting (as not necessarily better sounding, but simply newer) things will be on the market.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,434 of 3,739
  Find someone with some repair skills and read the below link.
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40032

But that defeats the point of having something ready to use when you need
biggrin.gif

good posts, both. and likely the most relevant: probably the E15 point. i will stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. thanks, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back