FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Aug 12, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,046 of 3,739
I once mentioned that I use N E12/IP 160GB Classic/UE TF10 combo and discord chimed in with the exact same tired opinion. The fact that a) I'm bypassing the inferior IP amp with the superior E12 and b) more importantly, I clearly HEAR superior sound I opted not to bother answering him at that time. Like he says; why bother? And yet, he continuously tries to discourage E12 users with his 'scientific' opinion. You have to wonder why HE'S bothering.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #3,048 of 3,739
Thank you for your input,
I actually mostly use the E12 at home so not much to carry around. I also find that you get a huge difference in the lower end of the music I listen to using the E12 which is not achievable with the X5 alone thanks to the bass switch on the E12.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #3,049 of 3,739
Thank you for your input,

I actually mostly use the E12 at home so not much to carry around. I also find that you get a huge difference in the lower end of the music I listen to using the E12 which is not achievable with the X5 alone thanks to the bass switch on the E12.

You didn't mention the bass boost before. It's probably quite useful for coplementing the M50's strong mid bass, but adds to battery consumption. Another advantage of using a combo like X5+E12 over X5 alone should be IMPROVED battery life. I'm curious how this works out for you.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,051 of 3,739
I once mentioned that I use N E12/IP 160GB Classic/UE TF10 combo and discord chimed in with the exact same tired opinion. The fact that a) I'm bypassing the inferior IP amp with the superior E12 and b) more importantly, I clearly HEAR superior sound I opted not to bother answering him at that time. Like he says; why bother? And yet, he continuously tries to discourage E12 users with his 'scientific' opinion. You have to wonder why HE'S bothering.
I did? Please quote where I said that, because I can't seem to recall. Anyways, no harm done. OP didn't seem to care much. And yes I agree... Bass boost circuits on amps seem to add a lil something that EQ can't.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3,052 of 3,739
I did? Please quote where I said that, because I can't seem to recall. Anyways, no harm done. OP didn't seem to care much. And yes I agree... Bass boost circuits on amps seem to add a lil something that EQ can't.

You can do the same or even better with a parametric EQ, such as the one in Neutron MP on either Android, ios or player applications on a PC. Some apps have refined graphic equalizers with 2 or more bands below 100 Hz. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,053 of 3,739
I thought my E12 had shockingly become broken, but thankfully it's just the interconnect cable gone bad (one channel dead). So, I lost my FiiO shorty 3.5mm cable and now the longer one that came with it somehow stopped working (physically has no kinks or anything), where's a good place to get a short 3.5mm interconnect at a low price?

EDIT: Not even worth it

Right! Live and let live is the cliché, right? You didn't belittle the OP, you just were making a suggestion about money spent. Of course, I got my E12 in the beginning because I wanted an amp that would basically be good for any future headphones.

I haven't seen many of your posts, but I find the out-of-scale responses to you in this thread to be ironic, considering your name :wink:

Gah, we need the catnip again!

Head-Fi catnip = new gear?
I agree though, I prefer to come here to share the fun I'm having and assume positive intent of everyone else (until proven wrong, but even then I basically say "can we go back to being a community?")

You can do the same or even better with a parametric EQ, such as the one in Neutron MP on either Android, ios or player applications on a PC. Some apps have refined graphic equalizers with 2 or more bands below 100 Hz. 

So, what's the difference between a parametric EQ and the EQ (presets) built into an iPhone or iPod?

YMMV, but increasing freq gain using iTunes on my computer adds graininess and sometimes clipping especially noticeable above 3 dB, decreasing stuff sounds better but syrups a little veil over fine details... I prefer a hardware EQ built into an amp, less control but sounds a little better. What sounds undesirable to me with software EQ may not bother others, good thing we both have choices!

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #3,054 of 3,739

So, what's the difference between a parametric EQ and the EQ (presets) built into an iPhone or iPod?

YMMV, but increasing freq gain using iTunes on my computer adds graininess and sometimes clipping especially noticeable above 3 dB, decreasing stuff sounds better but syrups a little veil over fine details... I prefer a hardware EQ built into an amp, less control but sounds a little better. What sounds undesirable to me with software EQ may not bother others, good thing we both have choices!

A parametric EQ lets you pick the exact frequency, it's slope or Q as well as the DB level. I can set the low frequency shelf to start at 90 Hz and add a peak at lets say 40 Hz to pull up the low extended bass. I can tune these to get the desired effect. The hardware EQ in the E12 is fixed, you cannot change it. I don't know how things work on iTunes on your computer, but good software and the use of proper settings works wonders. Neutron MP in my iPod Touch 5 G or Android Smartphone works wonders, you can also adjust the preamp gain if you experience clipping. Foobar200 and MediaMonkey work well on a PC, no such problems for me. I also use my PC, Touch 5G and Smartphone with External DACs.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #3,055 of 3,739
That is really not how it works there is no USB to TRS cable... You need DAC/AMP like the FiiO E07K, E17 or E18 to use an OTG USB cable with your phone. I suggest you have a look through the Android / DAC thread on here (can't link for you on mobile) just do a search. Then you can decide if it is all worth it or not as some connections require a passive USB hub and external power source to work...

Or you could just get an X3 for your music and use the phone as a phone...
biggrin.gif

Or FiiO X5 which does DSD too 

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #3,056 of 3,739

Because you like to poke your face in and express your opinion as to what people should do...

Since the OP bought the X5 and E12 as a combo I imagine he likes using both of them together. I have the X3 / E12 combo and I use the E12 with High and Low Z cans as I like the analog volume control better than the digital one on the X3, did you even think that he does as well.  So I don't care if it is overkill or not for the M50X or any other headphone, how do you know he doesn't already own a pair of harder to drive cans or is getting a pair that he might like to use with the E12, or maybe he just likes the cross-feed option...

Again who are you to tell the OP what he should or should not use to get the best sound from his headphones? Because you read a spec sheet on the M50x's once or do you actually have experience with the X5/E12/M50x combo?

That's why...

Yep I do agree, however, you could use some more of your soft skills just a little just sometimes 
atsmile.gif
I'm sure the guy was trying to be helpful 
That said I have a X5 and I am thinking about E12 with Mrspeaker AD which I already have. I just find X5 a little harsh at higher volumes and I cannot hear some of the details at lower volumes might be my ears though be nice on the comments please otherwise i might cry 

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #3,057 of 3,739
Aug 26, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #3,058 of 3,739
Yep I do agree, however, you could use some more of your soft skills just a little just sometimes :atsmile: I'm sure the guy was trying to be helpful
Seriously...

He is notorious for voicing his opinion on gear that he has never heard or had any experience with, so my "soft skills" were not required. If you found that post a little too harsh, then by all means hit the little flag in the corner of it.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #3,059 of 3,739
Seriously...

He is notorious for voicing his opinion on gear that he has never heard or had any experience with, so my "soft skills" were not required. If you found that post a little too harsh, then by all means hit the little flag in the corner of it.

mate, i was just mess'in with you, and i don't know the history as i am still new to headfi and i would not red flag you anyways 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back