FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Apr 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #1,831 of 2,501
Yeah the roll off business is a mystery to me. I’ve dabbled with the settings and detected no differences. Google ought to know.
Also I only use the WiFi to check for updates but haven’t had a problem connecting. If I ever get Ldac capable speakers I’ll be more interested. Nice little player though, eh?

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,832 of 2,501
Coming from Sony Aw45 the M9 sound is a definite upgrade. I’m not too terribly tempted to spend much more than $300 on a dap at this point especially given how poor the UIs can be with manufacturers outside Sony, Apple. Had a Cowon a few years back. The sound was good but UI nightmares. M9 fairly stable/user friendly. Some album art issues bout all which hurts cuz I really like scrolling through the covers and choosing music on a whim. Processor is maybe not quite powerful enough though. Only 6k+ songs so far on a 400gb card. Terabytes more on external drives.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #1,833 of 2,501
@morndewey I think the M9 sounds great! It's a huge difference from my iTouch 6th Gen. Better sound, better sound quality. I got the F9 Pro too. It is better than my Westone W3's (2013). The W3's go deeper. Have better Lower Bass. More present than kinda laid back like to F9. At least to my ears. But, the F9 has better defined Lower Bass. The Mids and Highs are clearer and more defined also. I had my M9 for 6 weeks just sitting in the box. Because of all of the post in this thread. But, since I'm using it as a player only. I will keep, it.

In am curious about the M11 though.

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #1,835 of 2,501
ThKi: I was trapped in Apple for far too long. I looked for a viable alternative for years. Not until the Sony NWA45 did I finally find something. I’ve had a set of Moondrop Kansas Pro for a few weeks now. The first earbuds/iems I’ve owned that actually sound hifi. Quite impressive. Prices for quality hifi are coming down considerably. Beyond a certain price it’s diminishing returns. I’m not willing to use a separate amplifier for headphones. Defeats the point of portability for me.
M11 looks great but it’s larger and heavier than M9 and probably overkill for me as I don’t stream music, just pay for downloads and rip CDs.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #1,836 of 2,501
Hi Fiio Support Team,
I have a question about third Party Apps on the Fiio m9.
I'm Missing some Internet Radio Player Apps.
Tune'In is Not the best App for streaming.

Is it possible that you Bring some Apps on the Fiio m9...?!
Here the Name's of These Apps:
- Audials
- XiiaLive Pro
- myTuner Pro

All These Apps are better then Tune'In.
Fiio Support Team, i have see that you read Here.
Please give me a short Feedback about my question.

Look on my new Thread Here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/third-party-apps-in-the-fiio-m9-high-resolution-musik-player.904911/

Thank you very much.

Your sincerley
Ulrich B.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #1,838 of 2,501
FiiO in practice ignore app requests and so not always reply with the truth. Someone on the M6 thread has managed test some apps using his skills and found some work fine. "Honesty is often the first casualty of business".

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #1,839 of 2,501
FiiO in practice ignore app requests and so not always reply with the truth. Someone on the M6 thread has managed test some apps using his skills and found some work fine. "Honesty is often the first casualty of business".

I agree. I asked them to add the Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones app to the whitelist several weeks ago but other than them asking me to provide the apk, (something they should be sourcing), I haven't had any other response.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,840 of 2,501
I think people need to be a bit more realistic about app requests. Fiio arent Apple or Sony. Its a relatively small company. They dont have big teams working on apps. Too high expectations seem common here. If anything they should be fixing bugs rather than new apps.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #1,841 of 2,501
I think people need to be a bit more realistic about app requests. Fiio arent Apple or Sony. Its a relatively small company. They dont have big teams working on apps. Too high expectations seem common here. If anything they should be fixing bugs rather than new apps.
No-one's asking them to work on apps. They only have to install an existing, well-established app on a test device and carry out some minimal impact testing to make sure it doesn't cause any issues with the OS or user experience. Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc, have all been whitelisted already but are updated on a regular basis. The only way to install the updates is by downloading them from APKPure.com. I'm pretty sure Fiio don't test each update so as far as I can tell, once they're whitelisted, they're whitelisted permanently. The only reason the whitelist exists in the first place is because the M9 is completely underpowered and Fiio can't allow customer's to install apps as they would on a phone.

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,842 of 2,501
Typhoon1944

Totally correct. There are factually some apps that could work on the M6/M9. FiiO choose not to engage in a deep conversation with Headfiers who would gladly do beta testing. Hundreds of Headfiers who would love to help FiiO. Are FiiO too proud to go down that road? Is it Hubris? Business is Business?????? Is that their mantra?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,843 of 2,501
No-one's asking them to work on apps. They only have to install an existing, well-established app on a test device and carry out some minimal impact testing to make sure it doesn't cause any issues with the OS or user experience. Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc, have all been whitelisted already but are updated on a regular basis. The only way to install the updates is by downloading them from APKPure.com. I'm pretty sure Fiio don't test each update so as far as I can tell, once they're whitelisted, they're whitelisted permanently. The only reason the whitelist exists in the first place is because the M9 is completely underpowered and Fiio can't allow customer's to install apps as they would on a phone.

Yes - they'd have to fully test each app under a variety of circumstances, and then they;'d have to continually retest every time the app is updated. And have you seen already just how many requests there are? Everyone has a favourite player or app. So all of a sudden the whitelist grows to 40-50 apps, and FiiO simply doesn't have the developers to keep everything updated.

Then what happens with a multitude of apps which they aren't controlling? Word gets out that they don't care, that they have poor quality and service. And everyone misses the point:
  • The M9 runs on an Exynos chipset to provide longer life.
  • The M9 is very fast as long as you use the apps which are created for it specifically, or ones they've tested and found to be suitable
  • The M9 is not a full Android experience - it was never intended to be. FiiO stated it in their documentation, on their website, and on this forum. If you want full android and all the flexibility it offers, you bought the wrong device. But if you do want that plus the other features FiiO brings, you're going to need to pay a lot more for the product you're looking for.
The M9 wasn't ever intended to be a Swiss Army Knife of audio, and it is what it is. Personally I think its pretty good - but then I don't expect it to be something its not.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,844 of 2,501
Typhoon1944

Totally correct. There are factually some apps that could work on the M6/M9. FiiO choose not to engage in a deep conversation with Headfiers who would gladly do beta testing. Hundreds of Headfiers who would love to help FiiO. Are FiiO too proud to go down that road? Is it Hubris? Business is Business?????? Is that their mantra?

Yeah - right. People complain when FiiO "supposedly" uses consumers to beta test their products, and now you want them to do it? A whole lot of unqualified people to beta test other people's software and declare it fit for their product. No thanks. Recipe for disaster. Who carries the can when the apps fall over. Oh - yeah - FiiO.

Its not Hubris, its called risk management. It's FiiO upping their game as far as service goes. I applaud it. Anyone who knows business should too.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,845 of 2,501
Yes - they'd have to fully test each app under a variety of circumstances, and then they;'d have to continually retest every time the app is updated. And have you seen already just how many requests there are? Everyone has a favourite player or app. So all of a sudden the whitelist grows to 40-50 apps, and FiiO simply doesn't have the developers to keep everything updated.

Then what happens with a multitude of apps which they aren't controlling? Word gets out that they don't care, that they have poor quality and service. And everyone misses the point:
  • The M9 runs on an Exynos chipset to provide longer life.
  • The M9 is very fast as long as you use the apps which are created for it specifically, or ones they've tested and found to be suitable
  • The M9 is not a full Android experience - it was never intended to be. FiiO stated it in their documentation, on their website, and on this forum. If you want full android and all the flexibility it offers, you bought the wrong device. But if you do want that plus the other features FiiO brings, you're going to need to pay a lot more for the product you're looking for.
The M9 wasn't ever intended to be a Swiss Army Knife of audio, and it is what it is. Personally I think its pretty good - but then I don't expect it to be something its not.

So are you saying after every single update of Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Es File Explorer, Deezer, etc, Fiio are retesting the apps to make sure they're not going to cause issues that the previous versions didn't? No-one is asking anyone to be a beta tester and the number of apps on the whitelist is irrelevant. These are all established apps that have been around for a significant period of time and that work on all other Android based devices. As I stated previously, the only reason Fiio have implemented the whitelist is because they've provided underpowered components in the M9 which is why they've also had to use an extremely customised and limited version of Android 7 and they need to make sure that any apps installed are not a security risk (because their version of Android 7 won't be getting any security updates) and won't cause conflicts with other installed apps or the user interface. And your statement about it being fast is factually incorrect. I have only got Fiio approved apps installed and removed those that I didn't require (for example the Korean and Chinese streaming services) and it is so sluggish that I can go and make a cup of tea in the time it takes to boot up and actually start playing music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back