FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,861 of 2,501
Thank you for the meaningful reply.

Other than comparative listening, do you determine mastering quality otherwise?
It's basically a matter of hearing and experience. Using headphones like the HD800 and (to a lesser degree) the Auteur makes you very quickly realise what's been well recorded and what hasn't. Your ears will tell you. And if you can't tell the difference, ignorance is bliss :)

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,862 of 2,501
Re merits of hi res, I do
OK - I'll elaborate. The reason for using higher sampling resolution in recording is to be able to move distortion into frequencies we can't hear (noise shaping). The higher bit rate is for allowing extra room to the noise floor for multi-track recordings. So it is very useful for recording - but less so for actual playback. Because of the limitations to our hearing, redbook will fully articulate all we are capable of hearing.

You could make the argument that if its recorded in 24/96 - why not play it back in the same format. And I guess the real answer is that while you could, why would you? After all - it results in larger file sizes for no real benefit. And for recording 24/96 is as high as you'd want to go. Beyond that can actually harm the music - link (worth reading). The guy who wrote this also developed the ogg and vorbis codecs (he is a real expert)

The real measure of quality is in the dynamic range of the recording, and the actual mastering. Thats why a lossy copy of (eg aac256) of a well mastered album, will always sound better than a high res recording of a poorly mastered album. Its not the container - its the mastering which dictates the quality. People get fixated on the larger numbers - they don't mean what people think they mean (bigger is not always better)

A good way to look at different mastering of the same albums is the dynamic range database (http://dr.loudness-war.info/). While it won't always tell you the best master, generally the ones with good dynamic range tend to be better mastered. If you want an idea of what decent mastering looks like - do a search on Steven Wilson. For an example of badly mastered albums - do the same search for Coldplay :wink:

Yes, now I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
I was averse to considering all this, yet again, but in truth it’s never been resolved fully in my mind. Nor is it now.
However, sound perception is highly subjective. I don’t disagree with research findings that stipulate the limits of human hearing. Nevertheless, what is consciously detectable may not strictly describe the limits of what is registered and affected. This is an admittedly tenuous argument but one not to be dismissed lightly.
It’s a long way to go about saying it but, yes, you’re point of view is factually correct.
I reserve hd music purchases for exceptions but not willing to go below Redbook.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #1,863 of 2,501
Sharing my experience with the M9: https://www.thesynops.com/fiio-m9-audio-player/

Fiio M9-36.jpg

Lovely functioning and sounding little DAP

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,865 of 2,501
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the M9 despite a long of shortcomings stated in this thread. One last question I have that Id like you guys to comment on is the longevity of the M9's OS and the Spotify app. Since older Android apps eventually will not be supported on older Android OS versions, are you guys worried that not too far into the future that the Spotify app will no longer work with the M9? This is one issue that it's stopping me. Comments? I know no one can predict when it'll not work but the M9's OS is based on a very old Android version so I feel that this issue is not as far into the future as I would like.

Ideas?

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,866 of 2,501
U can install other streaming services like Spotify ..

Thanks, I see this now. The app wasn't pre-installed and there's no app store on the device, and didn't know you could side-load it. Will update my article.

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #1,867 of 2,501
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the M9 despite a long of shortcomings stated in this thread. One last question I have that Id like you guys to comment on is the longevity of the M9's OS and the Spotify app. Since older Android apps eventually will not be supported on older Android OS versions, are you guys worried that not too far into the future that the Spotify app will no longer work with the M9? This is one issue that it's stopping me. Comments? I know no one can predict when it'll not work but the M9's OS is based on a very old Android version so I feel that this issue is not as far into the future as I would like.

Ideas?

On APK pure they do carry some previous versions of Spotify. Would Spotify change the app so much that older versions would not function or be impossibly slow? Well it's not impossible but not likely for a few years. I use Spotify on it's highest quality, 320 kbps OGG, usually with crossfade using both my own and others playlists and it is definitely satisfactory. It's not the fastest little DAP but it is fast enough and it sounds sincerely good. Also very few DAPS have LDAC or APTX-HD, even very expensive upmarket ones. That for me makes the M9 a game-changer as I can play Spotify through my home HiFi without many cables using just either an APTX-HD or LDAC receiver. The sound quality is exceptional used that way.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,868 of 2,501

Ideas?

Spotify runs faster and still works great on my pioneer DAP that runs Android 5.1. With the M9, I imagine some form of Spotify will work for a while given that, but it runs awfully slow right now. I disabled some of the new Spotify features too (like that slideshow animation feature which completely bottlenecks the M9)

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,869 of 2,501
Spotify runs faster and still works great on my pioneer DAP that runs Android 5.1. With the M9, I imagine some form of Spotify will work for a while given that, but it runs awfully slow right now. I disabled some of the new Spotify features too (like that slideshow animation feature which completely bottlenecks the M9)

Strange that Spotify works speedily enough on my M9. I also use a Samsung S9 plus to play Spotify in various ways and it is faster than the M9, but not to the degree one would expect. Of course Videos will not synchronise on the M9, that just has to be accepted, although I do listen to Videos on Youtube on the M9 because there are so many unique live performances that sound great. Pioneer tend to do stuff really well so I understand why you like their player and it has a bigger screen too, but originally cost more. LDAC and APTX-HD are very useful on the M9 which almost all other DAPs do not have. In most respects Spotify on mine is definitely fast enough though.
Steve

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,871 of 2,501
I have both the latest Pioneer Daps. They are good but have woeful battery life. They also don’t have Aptxhd . I actually prefer the M9. I use it for Bluetooth to Band W PX,or Amiron Home,or via usb hooked up to Impacto and Amiron wired headphones. It also sounds great hooked up to Nighthawk Carbons or Oppo PM3.The device is stable with a good music app. Using it the limited way I do it’s also quick and battery life is excellent. There is not much I don’t like,think it beats the opposition hands down at this price point. All the money goes into high quality audio with no frills. Judged that way it’s a steal. So impressed I have ordered the M11 which I will use for slightly different things.
The only problem I have encountered is File Manager just crashes when attempting to read the sd card,which effectively means I can’t load any white listed apps that get added. And I think it’s a shame Fiio don’t have a dock to fit the usb c.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,872 of 2,501
I have both the latest Pioneer Daps. They are good but have woeful battery life. They also don’t have Aptxhd . I actually prefer the M9. I use it for Bluetooth to Band W PX,or Amiron Home,or via usb hooked up to Impacto and Amiron wired headphones. It also sounds great hooked up to Nighthawk Carbons or Oppo PM3.The device is stable with a good music app. Using it the limited way I do it’s also quick and battery life is excellent. There is not much I don’t like,think it beats the opposition hands down at this price point. All the money goes into high quality audio with no frills. Judged that way it’s a steal. So impressed I have ordered the M11 which I will use for slightly different things.
The only problem I have encountered is File Manager just crashes when attempting to read the sd card,which effectively means I can’t load any white listed apps that get added. And I think it’s a shame Fiio don’t have a dock to fit the usb c.

Can't you sideload white-listed apps to the inbuilt memory rather than the SD card? When I side-loaded Spotify, ES File Explorer and the World Music Radio App, I had no problem installing them from the built in 2GB memory.
Steve

Apr 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,873 of 2,501
Yes...you mean connect the M9 direct to the PC? Yes,good thinking. Still irritates me though,when things don’t work I want to know why they don’t work! It’s not such a hassle though and I really have a lot of affection for this dap. Looking forward to the M11 too although that has a really pruned down Android system as well.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,874 of 2,501
Yes...you mean connect the M9 direct to the PC? Yes,good thinking. Still irritates me though,when things don’t work I want to know why they don’t work! It’s not such a hassle though and I really have a lot of affection for this dap. Looking forward to the M11 too although that has a really pruned down Android system as well.
Dear friend,

You could try to clear data of the file management from settings-general-apps-file management-storage to see if it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,875 of 2,501
I am currently listening to the M9 in combination with the FiiO BTR3 via LDAC and I can report that I do not have any problems with gapless playback what so ever. I tested a lot of live records or older Pink Floyd or Jean Michel Jarre CDs (all 16/44 Flacs) stored on the Micro SD Card and all play completly smoothly with no gaps. So for me the M9 has no general problem with gapless playback. If there are problems (and I do not doubt that some people have them) these problems seems to be due to indivdual situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back