FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Mar 12, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #1,636 of 2,501
Hi, I would like to ask if this player would play smoothly big one file albums in FLAC as I have my collection in single image flacs, often 192/24, so it's no wonder filesize can be a couple of GB's. Would this player playback this material smoothly? Given no wireless would be turned on.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,638 of 2,501
There is a manual online--go to www.fiio.com, click support, then choose your player. I can drag and drop files and folders on the Mac and assume you can do so in Windows.
When you drag n drop on Mac, are you using Android File Transfer, or something else? I find the AFT method to be problematic all the time... Constantly get a "device not connected" message in the middle of transfer. Then, when I try to do it again, it will tell me that folder already exists (because when I did it the first time and it had an error, it actually did create the folder).

I purchased a program called Commander One, which is pretty good - though I have not found a method for transferring music on to this device better than just putting the sd card directly into the computer.

Curious as to how you are doing it.

Thanks for the time.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,639 of 2,501
When you drag n drop on Mac, are you using Android File Transfer, or something else? I find the AFT method to be problematic all the time... Constantly get a "device not connected" message in the middle of transfer. Then, when I try to do it again, it will tell me that folder already exists (because when I did it the first time and it had an error, it actually did create the folder).

I purchased a program called Commander One, which is pretty good - though I have not found a method for transferring music on to this device better than just putting the sd card directly into the computer.

Thanks for the time.
Yep, using AFT with my Mac. It’s not ideal, but then it is Android :p Better than taking the SD card out every time.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,640 of 2,501
Yep, using AFT with my Mac. It’s not ideal, but then it is Android :p Better than taking the SD card out every time.
I believe there is a free trial of Commander One... pretty good app.. you could give that a try... Its basically an improved version of finder with built in MTP support.

https://mac.eltima.com/file-manager.html

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,641 of 2,501

Thanks for the time.
I've used both Android File Transfer and CommanderOne. AFT generally works OK for me (far better than it did with my AK). The main issue I have is that sometimes the AFT app opens before the M9 has been read by the Mac and I get a "no device found message." Quitting and restarting the app fixes that. I haven't had any error once the connection is solid.

CommanderOne works too; mainly I don't use it because I haven't had big problems with AFT. With my AK I used CommanderOne all the time.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #1,642 of 2,501
Hey guys,

i need your help. I'm looking for a home setup since i only have my M9 at the moment an i'm planning to buy audeze lcd-2/3 or other big cans. Now this desktop setup should sound better than the Fiio M9 because otherwise there wouldn't be a use of buying an extra home combination of course. The reason why i'm asking in the M9 thread is because you guys know how the M9 sounds and i'm yet to hear a better source/combination.

For example i was trying different audeze headphones in a hifi store 2 days ago driving them directly from my M9. When i used an additional amp for my M9 it sounded less enjoyable (Lake People G103 i think)

I tried questyle cma400i which sounds very equal to the M9 besides the power so i didn't find improvement there either. Even slighty preferred the M9 at lower volumes

• So every dac/amp combo until 1000$
  • and every amp until 1000$ in addition to my M9 DAC
i tried didn't gave me better sound than my M9 standalone.

Can you name me some dac/amp combos or only amps which definitely or most likely sound better than the M9 at the same volume level?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,643 of 2,501
Hey guys,

i need your help. I'm looking for a home setup since i only have my M9 at the moment an i'm planning to buy audeze lcd-2/3 or other big cans. Now this desktop setup should sound better than the Fiio M9 because otherwise there wouldn't be a use of buying an extra home combination of course. The reason why i'm asking in the M9 thread is because you guys know how the M9 sounds and i'm yet to hear a better source/combination.

For example i was trying different audeze headphones in a hifi store 2 days ago driving them directly from my M9. When i used an additional amp for my M9 it sounded less enjoyable (Lake People G103 i think)

I tried questyle cma400i which sounds very equal to the M9 besides the power so i didn't find improvement there either. Even slighty preferred the M9 at lower volumes

• So every dac/amp combo until 1000$
  • and every amp until 1000$ in addition to my M9 DAC
i tried didn't gave me better sound than my M9 standalone.

Can you name me some dac/amp combos or only amps which definitely or most likely sound better than the M9 at the same volume level?
Yeah the M9 is a great source for sure, but I wouldn’t use it to drive big, high-ohm desktop cans at ANY volume. It just doesn’t have the control needed to drive them properly. I just had a balanced adapter made so I can use balanced desktop cans with the M9 (and other balanced portable gear), and let’s just say the less said about how the M9 drives my Auteur and HD800 compared to my (admittedly much more powerful and expensive) desktop amp/dac, the better. I mean it’s ok if you’re only going to listen to these big cans (LCDs included) at low volume, but really, desktop cans are designed for desktop amps. Leave the M9 to efficient IEMs which it drives to perfection.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,644 of 2,501
Did you use balanced turbo mode or just straight balanced with the Hd800?

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,646 of 2,501
Yeah the M9 is a great source for sure, but I wouldn’t use it to drive big, high-ohm desktop cans at ANY volume. It just doesn’t have the control needed to drive them properly. I just had a balanced adapter made so I can use balanced desktop cans with the M9 (and other balanced portable gear), and let’s just say the less said about how the M9 drives my Auteur and HD800 compared to my (admittedly much more powerful and expensive) desktop amp/dac, the better. I mean it’s ok if you’re only going to listen to these big cans (LCDs included) at low volume, but really, desktop cans are designed for desktop amps. Leave the M9 to efficient IEMs which it drives to perfection.

Can you tell me a desktop amp/dac that sounds better than the M9 then? Would be nice if it's some that's available in Europe because i don't like shipping from US due to terms of warranty and return.

Because like i said all of the desktop gear i tried didn't drive my cans better than my M9

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #1,647 of 2,501
Can you tell me a desktop amp/dac that sounds better than the M9 then? Would be nice if it's some that's available in Europe because i don't like shipping from US due to terms of warranty and return.

Because like i said all of the desktop gear i tried didn't drive my cans better than my M9
I use the Audio-gd R-28, which is in a different league to the M9, but it should be costing nearly 4 times as much and 100x the size. That said I think the M9, when used with IEMs or easy to drive headphones, is superb. I never feel like I’m missing out when I’m out and about with the M9 and FH5. But head-to-head with my desktop headphones and amp, can’t really compare (nor, like I said, is it a fair comparison).

You can get all the Audio-gd gear from Magna Hi-Fi in the Netherlands.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,648 of 2,501
I use the Audio-gd R-28, which is in a different league to the M9, but it should be costing nearly 4 times as much and 100x the size. That said I think the M9, when used with IEMs or easy to drive headphones, is superb. I never feel like I’m missing out when I’m out and about with the M9 and FH5. But head-to-head with my desktop headphones and amp, can’t really compare (nor, like I said, is it a fair comparison).

You can get all the Audio-gd gear from Magna Hi-Fi in the Netherlands.

I'll check it out, thanks.
If someone else got some good tips too about desktop gear that beats the M9 i'd be glad to hear them also

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #1,650 of 2,501
What do you think:
Can we still expect major updates or new whitelisted apps for the M6/M9 when the M11 is around the corner and seems to fix all bugs and app wishes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back